Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 22 2013, 02:54 PM
Post #12

Junior Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,419

When I saw Lampley crying in the Gatti v Ward documentary, I thought of this in the back of my head lol

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 22 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

The bad part about this is... I've seen shades of this creep over to showtime lately. If they keep it up, in my opinion, the commentary from HBO is gonna win me over. Showtime lacks the enthusiasm that lampley and kellerman bring. And Idk about you guys but Roy is becoming one of my favorite commentators in the sport. He knows his shit and you can tell he genuinely enjoys being there.

If showtime keeps it up the excitement hbos team brings and especially Roy will edge them out in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 22 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #14

Junior Middleweight

I don't know man. I like Showtime's commentary. I could do without that Mauro Renallo guy. He doesn't know when punches land or miss. I wish they would let Gus Johnson do the big fights. I'm with you on Roy and Kellerman though. I think they're cool. Lampley's foolishness often overshadows them though and Merchant used to complete drown them out with his nonsensical blabbering.

BTW, anyone know why Steve Farhood barely talks now during fights. I remember when Showtime was less popular, him and Bernstein seemed to split the commentary duties. Now, he barely speaks. Is he like the Harold Letterman equivalent now?

This post has been edited by Franchize: Oct 22 2013, 07:37 PM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Oct 22 2013, 08:02 PM
Post #15

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I like Showtime better, if they swapped out Ranallo for Gus then it would be a total wipe out, but they're unbiased and every guy over there is knowledgeable and brings something different to the commentary. Over at HBO, even during the fight, Lampley was trying to hard to keep up with RJJ. Like he was a pro fighter. Kellerman, I'm still on the fence about him. Both bring different assets to their respective networks and I like the change of pace Showtime brings

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 22 2013, 08:33 PM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Idk man, they were on canelos jock in the trout fight and my dude was sitting there pink as fuck sucking air like he just finished a triatholon.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 23 2013, 08:50 AM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 22 2013, 05:18 PM) *
The bad part about this is... I've seen shades of this creep over to showtime lately. If they keep it up, in my opinion, the commentary from HBO is gonna win me over. Showtime lacks the enthusiasm that lampley and kellerman bring. And Idk about you guys but Roy is becoming one of my favorite commentators in the sport. He knows his shit and you can tell he genuinely enjoys being there.

If showtime keeps it up the excitement hbos team brings and especially Roy will edge them out in my opinion.

Showtime lacks enthusiasm (or so it appears), because they aren't trying to blow smoke up our asses (for agenda purposes) and reach for "memorable" moments in fights. Lampley and Kellerman are repeat offenders, and its sickening.

You can tell on this past Saturday, they were ITCHING for Alvarado/Provonikov to turn into a brawl. It seemed like every little punch that they thought would turn it into a Gatti/Ward fight, they were all over it. They did the same with the Rios/Alvarado rematch, and were sitting on their thumbs just waiting for JMM to land that "sleeper" punch on Bradley.

I've always liked Roy, and Im sure that I always will. He had me crying about the "fish guts and deer heart" stuff that he said about Ruslan. I mean damn Roy, just say "PEDs' for fuck's sake, lol. I would've expected him to mentioned Ruslan's eating habits and childhood, earlier in the fight...not when he put Mike on queer street. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Oct 23 2013, 01:38 PM
Post #18

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 23 2013, 08:50 AM) *
Showtime lacks enthusiasm (or so it appears), because they aren't trying to blow smoke up our asses (for agenda purposes) and reach for "memorable" moments in fights. Lampley and Kellerman are repeat offenders, and its sickening.

You can tell on this past Saturday, they were ITCHING for Alvarado/Provonikov to turn into a brawl. It seemed like every little punch that they thought would turn it into a Gatti/Ward fight, they were all over it. They did the same with the Rios/Alvarado rematch, and were sitting on their thumbs just waiting for JMM to land that "sleeper" punch on Bradley.

I've always liked Roy, and Im sure that I always will. He had me crying about the "fish guts and deer heart" stuff that he said about Ruslan. I mean damn Roy, just say "PEDs' for fuck's sake, lol. I would've expected him to mentioned Ruslan's eating habits and childhood, earlier in the fight...not when he put Mike on queer street. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

HBO feels compelled to cater to the MMA crowd by doing what they can to make every fight a war, or a pom-pom parade for the HBO contracted fighter. We know about controversial scores from judges for house fighters. What about controversial commentary from HBO commentators for their contracted house-fighters, which are now almost exclusively Top Rank material. Lamply is now a master at this. And Kellerman who was an independent thinker when he first came to the network is now a Merchant wanna-be who tries to create controversy even when it isn't there. Of course Jim Gray at Showtime does this all the time. However, Showtime doesn't push a pom-pom agenda for the star fighter nearly as much as HBO does. Showtime is more classy and professional. Now if HBO would dump Jim Lamply and Showtime would dump Jim Gray.

Roy Jones is the best thing to happen to HBO for a long time. Andre Ward makes a solid effort, but he doesn't have Roy's leadership commentary qualities.

Jack

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Oct 23 2013, 07:15 PM
Post #19

Junior Middleweight

Peep this if you haven't seen it before. Disregard the title. It's misleading. Funny how Roy kinda takes a jab on the low. Ironically, it appears he's talking about Merchant and Lampley somewhat.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 23 2013, 10:27 PM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 23 2013, 08:15 PM) *
Peep this if you haven't seen it before. Disregard the title. It's misleading. Funny how Roy kinda takes a jab on the low. Ironically, it appears he's talking about Merchant and Lampley somewhat.

He does this constantly on the air. He's easily my favorite commentator right now, and he just seems so happy to be there.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 06:19 AM