> Did Floyd Throw Roger Under the Bus?
scdrking2
post May 6 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #11

Junior Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,802

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 6 2013, 02:37 PM) *
first...let me say that i have always believed floyd sr to be the superior trainer. i don't believe it's a secret that roger has been more offensive minded when it comes to boxing in comparison to sr who is more defensive minded. with that being said, it is roger who inherited a complete fighter imo...so there really was no teaching/coaching so to speak. roger is just a second pair of eyes to floyd. sometimes he sees things...sometimes he doesn't. floyd sr is a second brain to floyd. floyd himself said it...when something isn't working floyd sr gives him other options. there's no "keep doing what you're doing..." from him.

floyd jr is a chip off the old block. they both have massive egos. i've always viewed floyd jr's disrespect in the past as a way of him becoming his own man and being a jr myself....i sort of get it. i am happy to see sr back in his corner and i don't believe floyd jr's statements are throwing roger under the bus...they're just truth. that's not to say roger isn't a great trainer...he is in comparison to most, but floyd sr is the best. period.

the floyd i saw in the ring last saturday looked 10 yrs younger. the change that sticks out the most to me is having his pops back in his corner and in the gym. if that isn't proof enough for everyone...then i don't know what it will take to convince u.

What % would you give the change in in-ring strategy versus moderation of the rigorousness of the training regimen. Could he not move like that because he overtrained for Cotto or was that not his intent? I honestly feel that people have overlooked that Mayweather has fought consistently in the pocket since ODH and has fought more with his back against the ropes since Hatton. I think some of the same whispers that changed the way Berto fought against the Russian impacted Floyd and made him adjust his game plan to be more of a crowd pleaser.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post May 6 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (daprofessor @ May 6 2013, 11:37 AM) *
first...let me say that i have always believed floyd sr to be the superior trainer. i don't believe it's a secret that roger has been more offensive minded when it comes to boxing in comparison to sr who is more defensive minded. with that being said, it is roger who inherited a complete fighter imo...so there really was no teaching/coaching so to speak. roger is just a second pair of eyes to floyd. sometimes he sees things...sometimes he doesn't. floyd sr is a second brain to floyd. floyd himself said it...when something isn't working floyd sr gives him other options. there's no "keep doing what you're doing..." from him.

floyd jr is a chip off the old block. they both have massive egos. i've always viewed floyd jr's disrespect in the past as a way of him becoming his own man and being a jr myself....i sort of get it. i am happy to see sr back in his corner and i don't believe floyd jr's statements are throwing roger under the bus...they're just truth. that's not to say roger isn't a great trainer...he is in comparison to most, but floyd sr is the best. period.

the floyd i saw in the ring last saturday looked 10 yrs younger. the change that sticks out the most to me is having his pops back in his corner and in the gym. if that isn't proof enough for everyone...then i don't know what it will take to convince u.

Outstanding point Professor! Again I never thought Roger's instructions were great, but I was looking at the chemistry between the two. Good post Professor.

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 6 2013, 11:50 AM) *
I dont think he threw Roger under the bus, he just put the facts out there. Why have Roger be his chief corner man, when he's having vision problems. I wonder how he does the mitt work, if that's the case, but hell, mitt work and an actual fight are two different things.

I just dont like how butthurt Sr has been over the years about not being able to train his son, regardless of him just saying that he wants a "relationship" with him. The relationship that they've always appeared to have, was boxing itself, but those egos of theirs can easily ruin that again.

If Floyd is getting hit (like he did in the Cotto fight), and Roger is just telling him to "keep doing what you're doing", then it makes Floyd look older and "over the hill", though he doesn't appear to be.

It almost makes it seem like he's fighting to prove the public wrong, rather than moving on to something else when one thing doesn't seem to work. It was dead obvious that Floyd couldn't land anything clean & effective on Cotto for a vast majority of the fight.

Good post. I see your hangover is gone.... Good points! My nerves are calm now.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 06:23 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ May 6 2013, 03:55 PM) *
What % would you give the change in in-ring strategy versus moderation of the rigorousness of the training regimen. Could he not move like that because he overtrained for Cotto or was that not his intent? I honestly feel that people have overlooked that Mayweather has fought consistently in the pocket since ODH and has fought more with his back against the ropes since Hatton. I think some of the same whispers that changed the way Berto fought against the Russian impacted Floyd and made him adjust his game plan to be more of a crowd pleaser.

i don't know that i can put a percentage on his in the ring strategy vs the moderation/rigorousness of his training....but floyd himself said that he still works hard....but that his pops helps him be smarter. at his advanced age...training hard is good....but rest becomes even more important because the body doesn't recuperate the way it used to when he was younger. this becomes a balancing act that very few in boxing have mastered. floyd sr thoroughly understands that. i don't believe that floyd consciously chose to fight in the pocket for those fights....but i do believe that he got away from a lot of what his pops taught him. his pops has an understanding of boxing that is amazing. people listen to him talk....and they think he's uneducated so they're are dismissive of what he says. he also doesn't make it any easier on himself because he sometimes says some crazy/comical shit. but if you talk boxing....and you've been educated on the sport...then you know that floyd sr is a professor of the highest degree. you just have to look past some of the shit he talks. i think that floyd sr definitely brought back strategy to floyd's game for sure. as for the rigorousness of the training...i think he definitely played a major part in making sure floyd didn't over do it. i tell my guys all the time..."how you train is how you fight." it is extremely obvious to me that floyd worked on his movement and defense big time.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: May 6 2013, 06:27 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 6 2013, 09:04 PM
Post #14

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 6 2013, 05:28 PM) *
Outstanding point Professor! Again I never thought Roger's instructions were great, but I was looking at the chemistry between the two. Good post Professor.

Good post. I see your hangover is gone.... Good points! My nerves are calm now.

Dont judge me sir.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Really, I need to stop getting shitfaced on fight night...my assessment of the fight as well as my manners, just take a nose dive by the end of the night. Lol

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 6 2013, 10:04 PM) *
Dont judge me sir.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Really, I need to stop getting shitfaced on fight night...my assessment of the fight as well as my manners, just take a nose dive by the end of the night. Lol

1st step to recovery: admitting you have a problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

i'm proud of you!

+Quote Post
leonthegee
post May 7 2013, 08:18 AM
Post #16

Lightweight

Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (Dolimite @ May 6 2013, 07:40 AM) *
[/b]
That is my point he was not there, not even for the post interview or press conference. He didn't even walk out with May. That is all I am saying. I am not calling anyone a liar.

I know Floyd is a good before his transformation into letting the world see who and what he really is. I am not saying there is bad blood but it seems that Roger has or is being iced out. Just my opinion.

Roger was in the ring. I went back and rewatched the fight. When they introduced Floyd Floyd walked right passed him in the ring.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 7 2013, 09:43 AM
Post #17

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

What I don't like is how the media was trying to coerce each party into a dispute. Floyd even said it. It was like they were trying to create a controversy that wasn't there. If you actually were a reporter that was allowed in the gym to see him train, how could you not notice the cohesiveness between them? Roger seemed to do what he does best. Sr seemed to do what he does best. And Floyd executed like he does best. End of the day, Roger was the better offensive fighter and Floyd was the better defensive fighter anyway, so I don't see why this is so surprising. Ultimately, I think the issue will come form SR. He's definitely the most volatile out of the group and sometimes his ego causes him to say stuff unnecessarily.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 05:05 PM