IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Attack of the Boxing Pundits: Are They Hurting Our Sport?
Cheesey1
post Dec 19 2012, 05:59 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

I try to take the good with the bad (or the bad with the good, however it goes), but in boxing there's a lot of bad when it comes to pundits.
Is it something that boxing fans should just accept as part of life, or start calling it for what it is?

Attack of the Pundits / Writers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Dec 19 2012, 07:54 AM
Post #2

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

great read! i think the first step to resolve the problem is to identify it - the article does that. its a step in the right direction. but i think bad boxing pundits are as prevalent as bad writers, and they been around for a looooong time lol
thx for the read again. ima gonna have to start frequenting the uk site

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 19 2012, 09:20 AM
Post #3

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

WOW! Cool stuff Cheesey!

I must admit, I had to reach for my dictionary a few times, but that's just my rusty vocabulary getting the best of me. Lol

I see waaaay too many journalists playing the spin doctor role, mostly because they are too much of a fan for a particular fighter, or trying their best to become a road writer for a promotional company.

Some of them can count the corn in some of these fighters' stool, but cant tell you the first thing about a fight from a technical standpoint. From another standpoint, some writers (very few) will dig deep to research and get readers to understand the whole spectrum (mostly the business side) of the sport, rather than having everything being geared towards their agenda.

For instance, I read a couple of articles after the Khan/Garcia fight, and a few writers subtly (but perfectly) described Garcia's left hook as a "lucky punch", when in all truth, he was throwing that punch for the whole fuckin' fight.

Problem is, those writers were Khan fans and they got personal, to the point that you thought they were the angry promoters who were riding on Khan winning so they could continue the "chase for Mayweather". Agenda?

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 19 2012, 11:07 AM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (wolterb @ Dec 19 2012, 07:54 AM) *
great read! i think the first step to resolve the problem is to identify it - the article does that. its a step in the right direction. but i think bad boxing pundits are as prevalent as bad writers, and they been around for a looooong time lol
thx for the read again. ima gonna have to start frequenting the uk site

I agree.

You're welcome and thanks for reading it.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 19 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 19 2012, 09:20 AM) *
WOW! Cool stuff Cheesey!

I must admit, I had to reach for my dictionary a few times, but that's just my rusty vocabulary getting the best of me. Lol

I see waaaay too many journalists playing the spin doctor role, mostly because they are too much of a fan for a particular fighter, or trying their best to become a road writer for a promotional company.

Some of them can count the corn in some of these fighters' stool, but cant tell you the first thing about a fight from a technical standpoint. From another standpoint, some writers (very few) will dig deep to research and get readers to understand the whole spectrum (mostly the business side) of the sport, rather than having everything being geared towards their agenda.

For instance, I read a couple of articles after the Khan/Garcia fight, and a few writers subtly (but perfectly) described Garcia's left hook as a "lucky punch", when in all truth, he was throwing that punch for the whole fuckin' fight.

Problem is, those writers were Khan fans and they got personal, to the point that you thought they were the angry promoters who were riding on Khan winning so they could continue the "chase for Mayweather". Agenda?

Thanks. That's funny about the dictionary.

Yup, too many of these pundits/writers have bullshit agendas.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 20 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

best piece i've read in quite some time! to the point and expressed very well. if more writers had your intelligence/understanding, this sport would be looked upon more favorably. instead we get fluff pieces written by shills trying to create controversy where there is none. thanks for sharing!!!

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 20 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

i really want to hear what skip bayliss has to say now haha

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Dec 20 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 20 2012, 09:27 PM) *
i really want to hear what skip bayliss has to say now haha

i heard that guys name for about 2 years before i finally got to see him in a short clip that someone posted. why anyone would listen to that guy about anything concerning boxing is beyond understanding. he is a fool who is obviously talking out of his ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 21 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #9

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 20 2012, 07:10 PM) *
best piece i've read in quite some time! to the point and expressed very well. if more writers had your intelligence/understanding, this sport would be looked upon more favorably. instead we get fluff pieces written by shills trying to create controversy where there is none. thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks and you're welcome.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 21 2012, 07:26 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Dec 21 2012, 01:39 AM) *
i heard that guys name for about 2 years before i finally got to see him in a short clip that someone posted. why anyone would listen to that guy about anything concerning boxing is beyond understanding. he is a fool who is obviously talking out of his ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

he really is right, i swear the amount of shit he chats is just incomparable to anyone else in the sport, but the thing is am curious how he'd talk his out out of the Pac situation haha you know what they say can't bullshit a bullshitter

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 07:17 AM