IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> should hbo just reel in jim lampley, or get rid of him altogether?
daprofessor
post Apr 3 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #131

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 3 2013, 10:29 AM) *
I don't think so. I'm not saying he's good. I'm saying he's globally known. Let's face it, ESPN is BY FAR the biggest sports outlet in America...possibly the world. He's their go to guy.

i guess i'm giving too much value to the term "world renowned"

crack and meth are 'world renowned' doesn't make them good though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 5 2013, 08:21 AM
Post #132

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

So I'm up late last night, as usual, and can't sleep. I turn to Showtime, and they're replaying Ortiz vs Lopez for some reason. So I decide, ahhh wtf, let me watch it. Gus and Al were calling the fight. I couldn't help but notice how well Gus Johnson not only called the fight (which is no surprise because he may be one of the greatest sports announcers of all time already) but how accurate he saw landed blows. I mean he was seeing stuff I didn't see and needed a replay to catch. Then, I said to myself here is a guy who's covered tons of sports from MMA, to boxing, to the NBA, to college basketball. He also has been the voice for Madden. Clearly, his focus isn't solely on boxing. Yet Jim Lampley primarily does this for a living and has been longer than I've been alive. This motherfucker has even summoned the aid of what I believe to be 3D glasses lol. Yet this motherfucker still has ZERO clue about punches landed and punches blocked or missed. So I leave you with this one question: What the Fuck!?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 5 2013, 08:42 AM
Post #133

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 5 2013, 09:21 AM) *
So I'm up late last night, as usual, and can't sleep. I turn to Showtime, and they're replaying Ortiz vs Lopez for some reason. So I decide, ahhh wtf, let me watch it. Gus and Al were calling the fight. I couldn't help but notice how well Gus Johnson not only called the fight (which is no surprise because he may be one of the greatest sports announcers of all time already) but how accurate he saw landed blows. I mean he was seeing stuff I didn't see and needed a replay to catch. Then, I said to myself here is a guy who's covered tons of sports from MMA, to boxing, to the NBA, to college basketball. He also has been the voice for Madden. Clearly, his focus isn't solely on boxing. Yet Jim Lampley primarily does this for a living and has been longer than I've been alive. This motherfucker has even summoned the aid of what I believe to be 3D glasses lol. Yet this motherfucker still has ZERO clue about punches landed and punches blocked or missed. So I leave you with this one question: What the Fuck!?

Man...I would tell you to cut and paste this shit and open a thread, but I forgot that we're already in the Lampley thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Gotta love Gus Johnson! He even calls it when the favored fighter gets hit good or hurt...something that Lampley refuses to do. Since we're talking about fights, I watched Chavez/Martinez last night, and oh my freakin' goodness, the whole announcer's table (aside from Roy), gave Sergio the biggest blowjob ever.

I mean the whoooole fight consisted of Martinez accolades. Even when Sergio got dumb for the last 3 rounds and was getting wacked, Lampley just accept it. Sergio almost got dropped after an exchange and Lampley starts praising him for fighting back and not holding. As soon as he got dropped and got up, you can hear it in Lampley's voice...nothing but sorrow and false hope.

I hate that guy nowadays. The senseless accolades throughout the fight, made me hate Sergio for about 30 of those 36 minutes...and I like Sergio. The way they were praising him was ridiculous. Chavez should've just came to the fight, went down on a jab, and not even try to make the count. Up until the 11th round, i asked myself, why is Chavez even here man?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 5 2013, 03:49 PM
Post #134

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 5 2013, 08:21 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i didn't like johnson in the beginning because of his voice...but he grew on me. showtime needs to make him a regular and get rid of the wwe/mma guy. he sucks.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 5 2013, 03:52 PM
Post #135

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 5 2013, 08:42 AM) *
Man...I would tell you to cut and paste this shit and open a thread, but I forgot that we're already in the Lampley thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Gotta love Gus Johnson! He even calls it when the favored fighter gets hit good or hurt...something that Lampley refuses to do. Since we're talking about fights, I watched Chavez/Martinez last night, and oh my freakin' goodness, the whole announcer's table (aside from Roy), gave Sergio the biggest blowjob ever.

I mean the whoooole fight consisted of Martinez accolades. Even when Sergio got dumb for the last 3 rounds and was getting wacked, Lampley just accept it. Sergio almost got dropped after an exchange and Lampley starts praising him for fighting back and not holding. As soon as he got dropped and got up, you can hear it in Lampley's voice...nothing but sorrow and false hope.

I hate that guy nowadays. The senseless accolades throughout the fight, made me hate Sergio for about 30 of those 36 minutes...and I like Sergio. The way they were praising him was ridiculous. Chavez should've just came to the fight, went down on a jab, and not even try to make the count. Up until the 11th round, i asked myself, why is Chavez even here man?

lampley is all that is wrong with hbo. seriously...they need to get rid of him before it's too late. let him keep his crappy show that i don't watch. let him keeps is bullshit 'gatti award' for praising fighters that fight foolish and wrecklessly. dude is an ass clown...and if hbo wants to be respectable again...they get rid of him.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 13 2013, 01:48 PM
Post #136

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Found some good shit about the annoying Lamply over on Boxing Scene. Including a funny (in a disgusting way) video of his love for Manny "Bang!" "Bang!" Pacquiao:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598518

Jack

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 13 2013, 07:47 PM
Post #137

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I hope they do grow the balls to get rid of him. I think they should utilize people who've actually been in the sport
I miss hearing big George call fights

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Jul 14 2013, 12:32 AM
Post #138

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

i also miss george. he was at his best during a trinidad fight. man he loved trinidad! you could just tell, and he made me love trinidad even more. nobody at hbo i have any respect for anymore. after steward passed. the last person who kept people listening to hbo moved on, and thats when we said fuck it. Now they have nothing but fake ass wannabes. hell even roy jones i dont care that much for, just because he has tainted his career so much i guess, and i love ward, but i feel he shuldnt be wasting energy doing this, he should be fighting. commentary is for afterward

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 14 2013, 04:00 AM
Post #139

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (klonopinz @ Jul 14 2013, 12:32 AM) *
i also miss george. he was at his best during a trinidad fight. man he loved trinidad! you could just tell, and he made me love trinidad even more. nobody at hbo i have any respect for anymore. after steward passed. the last person who kept people listening to hbo moved on, and thats when we said fuck it. Now they have nothing but fake ass wannabes. hell even roy jones i dont care that much for, just because he has tainted his career so much i guess, and i love ward, but i feel he shuldnt be wasting energy doing this, he should be fighting. commentary is for afterward

But what I remember during Trinidad-Delahoya, not once did anyone (including George) compliment Trinidad. The pom-poms were in full force for Delahoya that night. I do remember George messing up the name and said, "There's a right by Oscar Trinidad!" LOL! Sometimes George could say stupid shit, and I don't think Merchant and he got along too well. I agree with you. The leadership is gone. Or the leadership serves ONLY to promote the HBO contracted fighter worse than in the past. EVEN IF HE LOSES!

Jack

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jul 14 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #140

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 14 2013, 02:00 AM) *
But what I remember during Trinidad-Delahoya, not once did anyone (including George) compliment Trinidad. The pom-poms were in full force for Delahoya that night. I do remember George messing up the name and said, "There's a right by Oscar Trinidad!" LOL! Sometimes George could say stupid shit, and I don't think Merchant and he got along too well. I agree with you. The leadership is gone. Or the leadership serves ONLY to promote the HBO contracted fighter worse than in the past. EVEN IF HE LOSES!

Jack

See Donaire! Got his ass beat and he gets a fight before Rigondeaux. George has his promotional hat on and he is working with his son's boxing career. They could try to pull Teddy Atlas from ESPN and see how that goes. But Teddy is not a yes man so that could be problematic. I could see Max and Teddy going back and forth. Right now Showtime has the right formula. Announcers that are actually fans of the sport. Paulie M. announcing was a brilliant thing to do. He brings energy and he knows his shit.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 05:33 AM