Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Am I the Only One?
neophyte7
post Oct 31 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #61

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

The motherfucking subject was not " END UP BROKE" someone said they BELIEVE WHAT ARUM SAID-- MAYWEATHER fights only when he is broke and that is a stupid statement. The man has not seen a troubling financial day in years... Now as far as him ending up broke.. okay... I cannot say he will not end up like Tyson and the rest of the mental midgetS with money did, yet that still remains to be seen... one thing for certain now he is nowhere near broke...

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Oct 31 2012, 10:41 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 31 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #62

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 31 2012, 11:33 AM) *
Well there are a number of reasons but here are some:
#1 I have a friend that used to hang with Manny before every fight for the last few years. He said while Manny is really taking religious seriously, he also thinks this newfound change in lifestyle is stemming from his frustrations with Bob Arum. He says that Manny thinks his only way to effectively stick it to Bob is to set himself up for retirement and completely disappear into a life of politics. Don't entertain a return. Don't do any press or create any buzz. Just go to the Phillipines and continue his political ventures. My friend is Filipino btw. He says that there were discussions about how promoters pray on foreign fighters from 3rd world countries because they are easy to manipulate because they have nothing. He says that Manny thought for years he was exempt and Bob loved him as a son but he's finally realizing that he's been a puppet. My friend also says that Manny's investment in politics is very real and isn't anything thing done for publicity. He says the state of his people is very depressing to him and he feels people see him as hope. Consequently, he thinks Manny is somewhat embarassed that people are beginning to notice Arum dicking him around. Now this is all opinion. But it's opinion of someone who has been around Manny...although for a few days at a time.

#2 I think Manny once truly believe Floyd was ducking him but now I think he himself thinks realizes this fight had nothing to do with him or Floyd. I think, despite his rhetoric, he realizes that Arum was the main blockade in all of this.

#3 I think both guys want to cash in before either gets beat legitimately. Whether you agreed with the Bradley decision or not, in retrospect, it did take some of the luster off of Manny. What's NOT disputable, unless your working for HBO, is that this what the 3rd fight in which Manny looked ordinary. Furthermore, there was no excuse for him to look how he did vs Bradley. Mosley was old and simply trying to survive to save face for his legacy. Marquez has Manny's number and familiarity with him. He also has more drive to beat Manny than any other fighter. They'll probably have the same result eery time they fight. Bradley however was a game young fighter who just wanted to beat Manny so he could cash out. Sure he fought defensively and I do believe Manny beat him, but Manny had ample opportunity to show the magic everybody raved about but he simply couldnt do it. Why? Because he lacks the boxing IQ and refined boxing principles necessary. He does not know how to cut off a ring properly and his footwork is way overrated. End of the day, fuck the decision. The only conclusion I drew from that fight is that Manny proved their is a huge difference between footspeed and footwork.

#4 I think Floyd knows, while he's getting older and may not have much time left in the sport, Manny is aging even faster than he is. I think Floyd wants to be the one to MAKE Manny old in the ring just liek he did Shane. The one major "blemish" in the eyes of the casual fan on Floyd's legacy is him not fighting Manny. It won't be erased if the fight ends up looking like Hopkins vs Jones 2...where one guy is CLEARLY past him prime and the other still has something to offer to the sport.

As for Floyd's money....None of us really know. But I will say, the uncommon denominator between the 3 mentioned and Floyd is that they had promoters and a lot of middle men!

Good shit!

1. Hmm...your friend must already have some excerpts from Manny's tell-all book...that shit sounded deep and personal. Lol. I believe his political run is serious as well, I just wish I could take him seriously in that field. Him getting jerked around by Arum, gives me no faith in his political run. Boxing is a brutal and cutthroat sport/business, but politics are another beast in those regards.

I thinks Manny notices Bob's antics now (as you mentioned), hence why it took him so long to make a decision (as if he had a choice to begin with). Dude's motivation is shot, and I believe a megafight would revive him a bit, but who knows. I have reason to believe that all of Manny's endorsements and such, are tied up with Arum....just my opinion.

2. I agree.

3. As they should cash in before they get legitimately beat, who wouldn't? Good call. The boring Mosley fight raised more questions, than providing answers. That's when I peeped how hard of a time Manny had with cutting off the ring. The shitty footwork manifested in that fight. Manny's an in-and-out type of fighter, but he was clearly reaching in that fight, to close the distance on Shane.

The Bradley fight was in the works, about a year before it even took place. Bradley was already promised that fight and received his "highest payday" for the Casamayor fight, which was something to the tune of $1.2M. Sadly, it wasn't his highest payday, because half of that was his signing bonus, which he agreed to not take upfront. Guess who paid most of Bradley's purse for the Casamayor bout? Yep, you got it...Mr. Pacquiao. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

As for the fight, the decision was made before the first bell rang. Manny took Tim lightly, by only fighting for 60 seconds every round, while Bradley was able to do some "silent work" that was never called during the fight. No way in hell Manny was supposed to win that fight. When you hear 115 -113 in a fight like that, just expect some fuckery to follow.

Now that Arum had already heard the Mayweather/Cotto numbers and Floyd's purse, there's no way he was going to allow Manny to get the decision in the Bradley fight. Why? Had he won, Manny would've asked for more money in his next fight, since Floyd made that crazy amount just a month before.

So, he made it out for Manny to lose to a less marketable fighter, which in turn, would lower his guaranteed purse for his next fight. How could he pay Manny upwards of $25M, for a Bradley rematch in Nov. or any other less marketable opponent? Impossible. With that in mind, he pulled JMM back in the picture, so that he (Arum) could pull in some decent numbers, and tell Manny, "Hey, ya just lost your last fight, and there's not enough money out there to pay you THAT much. Here's a Marquez rematch".

4. Couldn't agree more. If anything, Floyd would look to be the more reserved fighter of the two, if the fight was ever made. Manny has been fighting consistently, and Floyd has been somewhat inactive. Now that I think about it, both situations can and will hurt both of them.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 31 2012, 12:03 PM
Post #63

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Oct 31 2012, 11:40 AM) *
The motherfucking subject was not " END UP BROKE" someone said they BELIEVE WHAT ARUM SAID-- MAYWEATHER fights only when he is broke and that is a stupid statement. The man has not seen a troubling financial day in years... Now as far as him ending up broke.. okay... I cannot say he will not end up like Tyson and the rest of the mental midgetS with money did, yet that still remains to be seen... one thing for certain now he is nowhere near broke...

The subject of this thread alone, has taken 3 or 4 different turns, no problem there. I was the one that made the "stupid" statement about believing what Arum said about Floyd only fighting when he's going broke. If you can read, then you'll know that I said it, so no need to say that "somebody" said it.

You may be a Floyd fan, cool, so am I, but let's be rational about it. Where there's smoke, there's fire. It's been waaay too much going around about him and his money issues, and that's coming from the boxing world. When things are said more than few times, they slowly evolve from accusations, to possibilities. Sorry, but that's how it goes.

When the smoke clears, we tend to see the truth with some of these matters, it's human nature. If dude's best friend (50 Cent) made a comment about the way he spends his money, then there has to be some truth to it. One thing's for sure, when everyday people begin to make more money, we fall into this unknown "gotcha bitch!" realm, called a tax bracket.

How do you know whether or not, he's seen a troubling financial day in years? Do you know how much he has in his checking and savings accounts? Do you know how much I have in mine? Do I know how much you have in yours? The shining answer to these 3 questions, would be a big fat no. If it can happen to Tyson and Holyfield, along with a slew of other fighters, then it can happen to anyone.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 31 2012, 01:23 PM
Post #64

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Franchize @ Oct 31 2012, 10:33 AM) *
Well there are a number of reasons but here are some:
#1 I have a friend that used to hang with Manny before every fight for the last few years. He said while Manny is really taking religious seriously, he also thinks this newfound change in lifestyle is stemming from his frustrations with Bob Arum. He says that Manny thinks his only way to effectively stick it to Bob is to set himself up for retirement and completely disappear into a life of politics. Don't entertain a return. Don't do any press or create any buzz. Just go to the Phillipines and continue his political ventures. My friend is Filipino btw. He says that there were discussions about how promoters pray on foreign fighters from 3rd world countries because they are easy to manipulate because they have nothing. He says that Manny thought for years he was exempt and Bob loved him as a son but he's finally realizing that he's been a puppet. My friend also says that Manny's investment in politics is very real and isn't anything thing done for publicity. He says the state of his people is very depressing to him and he feels people see him as hope. Consequently, he thinks Manny is somewhat embarassed that people are beginning to notice Arum dicking him around. Now this is all opinion. But it's opinion of someone who has been around Manny...although for a few days at a time.

#2 I think Manny once truly believe Floyd was ducking him but now I think he himself thinks realizes this fight had nothing to do with him or Floyd. I think, despite his rhetoric, he realizes that Arum was the main blockade in all of this.

#3 I think both guys want to cash in before either gets beat legitimately. Whether you agreed with the Bradley decision or not, in retrospect, it did take some of the luster off of Manny. What's NOT disputable, unless your working for HBO, is that this what the 3rd fight in which Manny looked ordinary. Furthermore, there was no excuse for him to look how he did vs Bradley. Mosley was old and simply trying to survive to save face for his legacy. Marquez has Manny's number and familiarity with him. He also has more drive to beat Manny than any other fighter. They'll probably have the same result eery time they fight. Bradley however was a game young fighter who just wanted to beat Manny so he could cash out. Sure he fought defensively and I do believe Manny beat him, but Manny had ample opportunity to show the magic everybody raved about but he simply couldnt do it. Why? Because he lacks the boxing IQ and refined boxing principles necessary. He does not know how to cut off a ring properly and his footwork is way overrated. End of the day, fuck the decision. The only conclusion I drew from that fight is that Manny proved their is a huge difference between footspeed and footwork.

#4 I think Floyd knows, while he's getting older and may not have much time left in the sport, Manny is aging even faster than he is. I think Floyd wants to be the one to MAKE Manny old in the ring just liek he did Shane. The one major "blemish" in the eyes of the casual fan on Floyd's legacy is him not fighting Manny. It won't be erased if the fight ends up looking like Hopkins vs Jones 2...where one guy is CLEARLY past him prime and the other still has something to offer to the sport.

As for Floyd's money....None of us really know. But I will say, the uncommon denominator between the 3 mentioned and Floyd is that they had promoters and a lot of middle men!

great post!!!

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Oct 31 2012, 01:58 PM
Post #65

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Oct 30 2012, 04:01 PM) *
I'm no boxing newbie. I'd like to see Matninez and Mayweather go at it at 154. Whats not to like about that? Who would you rather see Mayweather fight right now? We're obviously not gonna ever get the Pacquiao fight, so who else would be on the short list? When you look at the field of choices, ask yourself, why not Martinez.

On the other hand, I can think of many reasons that Mayweather may not want to see Martinez. They all have to do with matchup isses that wouldn't favor Mayweather. Martinez may have a reach advantage, so Mayweather wont fight him. The crazy thing is his online surrogates make several excuses for him to justify him not fighting Martinez or whoever. Yeah, I'd love to see that fight. Everyone says this guy is the best, then he should fight the best. Martinez is one of the best. If they both make 154, size is not an issue, its an excuse...

While I'd love to see the fight between Floyd and Sergio I don't think it's likely to happen given the fact that Floyd SR always/usually advises Jr to avoid fighting SPs but I don't believe that Martinez's reach advantage (if he really even have such) is the primary reason why Floyd would avoid fighting him.

Mayweather has fought taller opponents with a longer reach and it didn't stop him from winning, my guess is that Oscar and his team will look to get Canelo in there with Floyd next year before they believe that Mayweather will retire (remember he/Floyd said he was probably only going to go for 2 more years or so then hang em up).

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Nov 5 2012, 12:36 PM
Post #66

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 31 2012, 12:03 PM) *
The subject of this thread alone, has taken 3 or 4 different turns, no problem there. I was the one that made the "stupid" statement about believing what Arum said about Floyd only fighting when he's going broke. If you can read, then you'll know that I said it, so no need to say that "somebody" said it.

In the future I will make sure to point you out when making stupid statements...LMAO

This post has been edited by Cshel86: Nov 5 2012, 01:18 PM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 5 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #67

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ Nov 5 2012, 12:36 PM) *
In the future I will make sure to point you out when making stupid statements...LMAO

Duly noted!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 5 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #68

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Oct 31 2012, 12:49 PM) *
Good shit!

1. Hmm...your friend must already have some excerpts from Manny's tell-all book...that shit sounded deep and personal. Lol. I believe his political run is serious as well, I just wish I could take him seriously in that field. Him getting jerked around by Arum, gives me no faith in his political run. Boxing is a brutal and cutthroat sport/business, but politics are another beast in those regards.

I thinks Manny notices Bob's antics now (as you mentioned), hence why it took him so long to make a decision (as if he had a choice to begin with). Dude's motivation is shot, and I believe a megafight would revive him a bit, but who knows. I have reason to believe that all of Manny's endorsements and such, are tied up with Arum....just my opinion.

My friend is cousins with one of Manny's legal advisors if I'm not mistaken. He was actually licking his chops for Konz to get the boot so he can be Manny's lead lawyer. It's deeper than that but that would take me a while to explain. Long story short, Manny and his friends thought Konz would be the key to him exposing Bob Arum. At one point he was. Then mysteriously, Konz became a huge Arum puppet. But to your other comment, while he isn't liek "best friends" with Manny, he does hang with Manny before and after fights. The whole ordeal about him changing his life around was partially true also. It was the 1st fight in a while my friend didnt chill with Manny. He said he wasn't even mad and didn't really want to go. Manny was starting to accumulate too many leeches to the point where my boy didn't want to feel liek one of them. He said Manny is still hasn't completely grasped that he's not a poor Filipino kid anymore. He also told me that there was a bar fight after the last Marquez fight that almost got ugly but got handled before Manny could jump in lmao.

From the outside looking in, Many and Bob's relationship eerily reminds me of Louis Resto and Panama Lewis or Mike Tyson and Don King. Instead of playing the boss role, they yank these guys out of poverty and assume a paternal position. Therefore, as you would with a parent who provided for you, you feel no matter what you are in debt to them because they pretty much "made" you. I'm not sure if you saw the documentary with Resto and Lewis but Resto had so much anger and knew exactly what he wanted to say...but Lewis calling him "son" all the time humbled him beyond control.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 06:42 AM