IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Things that annoy me-Boxing's Biggest Pet Peeves! (Resurrected), Any others?
Lil-lightsout
post Jul 27 2011, 02:33 AM
Post #1

Light Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 3,047

1- Ever since Mayweather caught Hatton with that "check-hook", I hear it all the time. I do not think I ever heard it before that fight. Kind of reminds me of Sean O' Grady during a very old TNF episode. During a fight he used the word "Goncho" for a body shot someone told him in a pre fight meeting, and he continued to use it over and over for years to come. Any way that term annoys me.

2- How every fighter before fights say they are in the best shape of their life.

3- Fighters that excessively hold on the inside, and the refs that allow it so much without taking points.

4- The inactivity of so many fighters today.

5- I am really sick of announcers giving out the fighters bio and all this irrelevant BS in ring introductions, just announce their freaking name, record, titles, and that is it!

6- Do we really need 50 entourage members in the ring before and after fights?

7- Certain entourage members pointing and gesturing and talking smack during ring introductions. Easy for them to talk tough since they aren't taking any punches.

8- I can not stand Pac and Mayweather super fans. Both are beyond irrational.

9- When world class fighters would rather quit than go out swinging. They cheat themselves, the fans, and the sport.

10- Seeing scrubs or guys on TV or guys that are undeserving. Or fighters getting shots over more deserving fighters.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Jul 27 2011, 02:44 AM
Post #2

Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 87

How a fighter gives about 6 excuses for their loss during a post-fight interview, then finishes it with, "But you know, no excuses."

That fat fuck ring announcer on "The Contender". Dude sounded like his was vomiting his last meal every time he spoke.

Joe Cortez for being an attention whore.

Bob Arum for being...Bob Arum.

Bandwagon fans pretending to be experts on the sport while watching their second fight.

This post has been edited by Snoop: Jul 27 2011, 02:47 AM

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Jul 27 2011, 02:52 AM
Post #3

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 27 2011, 03:44 AM) *
How a fighter gives about 6 excuses for their loss during a post-fight interview, then finishes it with, "But you know, no excuses."

That fat fuck ring announcer on "The Contender". Dude sounded like his was vomiting his last meal every time he spoke.

Bandwagon fans pretending to be experts on the sport while watching their second fight.

Man, I hate that type of behavior with a passion.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Jul 27 2011, 02:56 AM
Post #4

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (Snoop @ Jul 27 2011, 03:44 AM) *

Your 1st one is hilarious, and the last one really annoys me also. Especially at many of the big fights I have been to over the years.

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Jul 27 2011, 03:39 AM
Post #5

Guests

People who actually defend the bullshit Mayweather & Pacquaio have been doing for years! How???

Bob Arum

Titles being created, elevated and/or stripped.

People who say boxing is a business!

Catchweights.

Fighters being accused of being on something is the new trend in boxing.

Fighters being inactive.

Joe Cortez stopping fights early.

Fans being extremely quick to cry ROBBERY!

+Quote Post
blackbelt2003
post Jul 27 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #6

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 84

1/ Shitty undercards on PPV. For a PPV fee, every fucking fight should be good enough to headline a regular event.

2/ Mayweather and Pacquiao fans. I think every single post on this thread should include this one.

3/ INACTIVITY!!! My major gripe. Every single thing that is wrong with boxing (shitty fights, too many titles, fighters being stripped, not enough risks took etc etc) would go away if fighters just FOUGHT. That's what they're paid to do, why not do it more? Fight three or four times a year, not once. I hear Khan is planning his next fight for freaking December!!! Why six months on? Was the Judah fight such a physically tough one? Are there not enough dance partners out there to fight in September, too?

4/ The WBO. It's ticking me off that fans seem to be gradually accepting this belt as one of the norm. Doing so means that: a - Tyson was never undisputed champion, b - Joe Calzaghe had 20-odd world title defences, c - Herbie Hide was two time champion of the world, d - Oscar De La Hoya is a 6 weight world champion, e - Great Britain has had a ridiculous number of world champions since 1990.

That'll do for now.

Black

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 27 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

1. When fighters talk so much shit and get the fans excited before a big fight...just to lay an egg and walk away with a paycheck (Khan vs Judah, Pacquiao vs Mosley, Haye vs Klitzko).

2. When they dont make interesting fights PPV and end up making us wait all year just to see two big fights for $50+. Berto vs Ortiz, Khan vs Maidana, could have been a PPV for at least $30-$35 and I wouldn't have minded paying for it (being the fact that the fights were exciting).

3. When rising stars are making less than $1M and have hardly proven themselves, yet they already feel that the world owes them big money fights.

4. The fact that there are no more young and determined stars with a PERSONALITY, who are PPV attractions...nobody wants to take a chance and fight their way up to stardom like the likes of De La Hoya, Trinidad, Vargas, Mosley, Mayorga, etc in their era. Those guys were under 30 and doing PPV numbers...dont you just miss that era of boxing?

5. When a fighter is UNDEFEATED, generates no money or fans, and has lackluster competition (or lack there of), but feel like that '0' is supposed to do wonders for them.

6. When a fighter has a damn-near 'fight of the year bout', just to make us wait 4-8 months to see them fight a no-name tomato can, smh.

7. When a great champion with potential has earned a title, just to be stripped of it for some God-awful reason and a bum ass fighter gets put in front of a tomato can to win it. Perfect example, Sergio Martinez being stripped of the MW title, just for Chavez Jr. to be put in front a bum (well, he just lacked power) to win it. Bob Arum is doing his best keep Chavez away from Martinez...so what do we have now?...a bum champ who will fight tomato cans until Arum has completely milked him dry.

8. When commentators try to promote fights and call out fighters, smh...Max Kellerman is growing on me (which is a good thing), but he is the king of calling fighters out and trying to promote fights.

+Quote Post
oozemcbuck
post Jul 27 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #8

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 7,112

Hearing Lampley cum every time Pacquiao lands a punch. (BANG !!!, BANG !!!, BANG !!!)

Commentators rambling on about nothing instead of just shutting up during ring entrances. I like just hearing the song and feeling the fighters' vibe walking down to the ring. To me, it builds excitement watching them walk down ready, for war. But, every time, that moment gets ruined by someone saying something completely useless.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Jul 27 2011, 11:36 AM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

Most of you wont appreciate this one, but Jim Watt is the subject of a game between me and my mate where we guess how many times he will use the word "work" in each round of a fight. It may seem innocuous, but it gets on your nerves after about number 350.

It seems to be a habit thats mostly used by boxers, referring to oneself in the third person. Lloyd does not approve.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 27 2011, 11:54 AM
Post #10

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Boxing Pet Peeves and Recommendations to Fix Them

1.) Waiting an eternity for Mayweather-Pacquiao. Either make the fight, or fuck it, and move on to other options.

2.) Judges, promoters, and networks showing favoritism to the house fighter. Undeserving Olympians who are pom-pom'ed by HBO and Lampley, just because they are Olympians and fight on HBO. This goes back through the years, (Breland, Biggs, Berto.) I almost put Jermain Taylor in there, but even though there was dispute, he did beat Hopkins twice, just wasn't the fighter that HBO pom-pom'ed him to be.

3.) Countless fighters who talk all kinds of shit like they are gonna murder an opponent and than we get a fucking 12-round Lawrence Welk waltz. Yea, that's you David Haye, you little POS!

4.) Floyd Mayweather for his personality and arrogance outside the ring. The fight that he can't stay out of trouble outside the ring.

5.) Manny Pacquiao for refusing the drug testing.
6.) Promoters that don't allow their house fighters to fight other promoters fighters on the network.

7.) Judges that constantly treat journeymen like shit in their scoring of fights against them.

8.) Don King, Bob Arum, and Al Hayman, for their monopolistic control of fighters and networks.

9.) The WBC's 4th and 8th round optional open scoring.

10.) Too many championship belts. Going back to one could still produce a monopoly, But at least they should go back to the big two, the WBA and WBC, and the federations work to constantly unify the championships.

11.) Unification fights going back to 15-rounds, with only the most experienced refs working those fights to insure safety concerns, but keep the other fights at 12-rounds so that the 15 round distance really separates the champions from the contenders. The 15 distance could be like for Superbowls and World Series for boxing with those three rounds brought back, not to make the sport something dangerous, but to make it something special.

12. The WBC's point deductions for accidental head-butts. Accidents are unintentional and deserve no consequence of a penalty. Right now, this rule over-compensates for an unfortunate situation. You are penalizing the non-head-butted fighter for being lucky. This rule MUST be overturned by all commissions throughout the world.

13. POS PPV undercards, and often times POS PPV main events that have no business as a PPV. Every card on a PPV should be AT LEAST 3 WORD CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS BETWEEN TOP CONTENDERS with the fourth match a major 10-round top competitors match.

14. All boxing matches should create a sense of reasonable doubt as to how will win, have competitive matches, record-checks for quality. No more of this house-fighter against sacrificial lamb bullshit. Especially not on Premium boxing channels or PPV.

15. No special circumstances for top fighters or their top promoters or matchmakers. No little pre-fight perks for top promoters and fighters. Unless you can produce verified medical evidence who's evidence has the right to be questioned or overturned, unless there are health issues, you MUST defend your championship belt against the leading available contender every six months. When you fight the top guy in your weight class for an alphabet belt, and win an alphabet world championship, that automatically gives you the right to be the #1 contender for any other rival world championship alphabet title. And you MUST unify each belt by fighting the unification within six months.

16. All boxing federations begin round robin tournaments that can NOT be influenced by a promoter or TV network to work in culmination of world title unification matches.

17.) An international commission of executive over-site to inspect the doings of promoters, referees, and judges, with severe consequences for any convictions of bribery, fight-fixing or extortion. The suspect(s) would have the right to a fair an impartial hearing with a presumption of innocence, where evidence would have to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that there was bribery or corruption involved. If the international commission came back with a guilty verdict, a six month to life ban from boxing would be imposed depending on the severity of the offense. Additionally, all officials involved in boxing would have to sign a statement stating that if they engage in ANY proven bribery or corruption through the eyes of this international court tribunal they could face suspensions up to a permanent loss of license.

18.) Cosell and the world making Ali some kind of secular saint, which was and is bullshit. One cannot deny Ali's influence and powerful impact to the world of boxing on the international stage and that's great! But Howard and so much of the world made Ali out like he could do no wrong, and that's not a correct assessment either. There were good things about Ali and their were shit things about Ali, but no one wanted to talk about the shit things. And the "Ali-Act" to improve the safety standard of boxing is just some rubber-stamped bullshit to put Ali's name on something for recognition to get it passed.

Ali never did anything to create or improve fighter safety either inside the ring or outside the ring. The way Cosell pom-pom'ed Ali is the exact same way that HBO and Lampley have been pom-pomming their house fighters for the last decade.

19.) HBO trying to look for the next big star by feeding him mediocre competition rather than making competitive fights where the pom-pomer might lose. Go back to the competitiveness and greatness of Lou Dibella at the network who knew that the fans want great competitive action boxing, not just some Olympian who gets his name on HBO by fighting an assortment of stiffs. (i.e Berto vs. Freddy Hernandez? WTF!) Grow some balls, and start making some demands on Delahoya, Arum, and Hayman, that if you don't give us competitive fights, there will be no fight, period. Take the sacrificial lambs to ESPN or something against the manufactured stars, but for a premium channel at $12-$15 for it's subscription each month, there will either be competitive fights, or NO FIGHTS.

Jack

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 02:52 AM