IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ESPN2@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT): Mendez vs. Barthelemy-SPOILERS, No Duplicate Threads or Public Streams
mrchitown
post Jan 3 2014, 10:21 PM
Post #11

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,858

Mendez is out! It's over!! Barthelemy put some serious power on Mendez at the end of the 2nd round and the last knockdown right before the bell rang was lethal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 3 2014, 10:28 PM
Post #12

Light Heavyweight

Teddy is turnt up and Tyson is looking like a pimp/promoter lol....all in all it was a good card. If Tyson can keep making cards like this he has a solid future in the business of promoting fights

I give all credit to Barthelemy, he was full of adrenaline and went for the kill. There were a few blows after the bell but the ref screwed the pooch on that one....I'd love to see a rematch

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 4 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #13

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 3 2014, 09:28 PM) *
Teddy is turnt up and Tyson is looking like a pimp/promoter lol....all in all it was a good card. If Tyson can keep making cards like this he has a solid future in the business of promoting fights

I give all credit to Barthelemy, he was full of adrenaline and went for the kill. There were a few blows after the bell but the ref screwed the pooch on that one....I'd love to see a rematch

Agree,

The ref was not in position when the bell rang, and in the heat of the moment Barthelemy got off those one or two late punches. Barthelmey should not be penalized for this. The best, should a protest be filed, would be over the position of the referee when that round ended. They can mandate a rematch, but Barthelemy is allowed to remain champion. There was no malicious thought or intent with that late shot, even though it was after the bell.

Why do they count it as 2:59 of the second round? This would indicate that the bell had not yet rung? I have seen other fights over the years end with one second to go announced as a TKO/KO end time, when the count continues after the bell.

Jack

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 4 2014, 06:32 PM
Post #14

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 4 2014, 01:48 PM) *
Agree,

The ref was not in position when the bell rang, and in the heat of the moment Barthelemy got off those one or two late punches. Barthelmey should not be penalized for this. The best, should a protest be filed, would be over the position of the referee when that round ended. They can mandate a rematch, but Barthelemy is allowed to remain champion. There was no malicious thought or intent with that late shot, even though it was after the bell.

Why do they count it as 2:59 of the second round? This would indicate that the bell had not yet rung? I have seen other fights over the years end with one second to go announced as a TKO/KO end time, when the count continues after the bell.

Jack

They should just say KO in round " " if the KO comes when the bell rangs or if the fight is stopped by the ref after the bell rings. I never understood it either.

No way can they get that belt returned back to Mendez. He was out before the bell rang really but the last 2 shots just put the finishing touches on the KO. The ref did a bad job as far as being in position to stop the fighters from punching. I think a rematch should be ordered if the IBF feels that there was a slight injustice done, and I certainly think it was, but not by Barthelemy but by the ref. I'd support a mandated rematch

+Quote Post
beenKOed
post Jan 13 2014, 10:08 PM
Post #15

Amateur

Member No.: 14,104

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 4 2014, 03:32 PM) *
They should just say KO in round " " if the KO comes when the bell rangs or if the fight is stopped by the ref after the bell rings. I never understood it either.

No way can they get that belt returned back to Mendez. He was out before the bell rang really but the last 2 shots just put the finishing touches on the KO. The ref did a bad job as far as being in position to stop the fighters from punching. I think a rematch should be ordered if the IBF feels that there was a slight injustice done, and I certainly think it was, but not by Barthelemy but by the ref. I'd support a mandated rematch

Agreed, there was a clear foul. Hate to see the fighters jerked around like this, especially due to poor officiating, but it does happen. There should be a rematch just to clear the air. Mendez will lose again, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 13 2014, 10:24 PM
Post #16

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (beenKOed @ Jan 13 2014, 09:08 PM) *
Agreed, there was a clear foul. Hate to see the fighters jerked around like this, especially due to poor officiating, but it does happen. There should be a rematch just to clear the air. Mendez will lose again, in my opinion.

He was on his way to losing it's just the ref in this instance, didn't do his job properly. I've heard they're trying to ge the fight turned to a no contest

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 13 2014, 10:46 PM
Post #17

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (beenKOed @ Jan 13 2014, 10:08 PM) *

Couldn't agree more. Of course I had to record FNFs, thanks to my girlfriend, and watching it the next day was like warming up some leftover fried chicken...the effect wasn't the same.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 05:16 AM