IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Are The Klitschkos Still Loved So Much in Germany?
Jack 1000
post Sep 1 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

just want to throw this out for the forum to respond,

Is it just the obvious home-court European representation? Is it that the German's just don't care about their boring methodical safety-first styles of recent years? Why are they so drawn to them, drawing 10,000-20,000 people type crowds when most American's have had it with them, and HBO as pulled the plug on them because at least to American audiences, they have become boring to watch?

This is not intended to be a Klitschko bashing thread, but to ask what do the Germans see in them that Americans don't? Are cultural expectations for the brothers so different between the two countries? Do mediocre title defenses not matter to the Germans? What factors are involved here and why?

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Sep 1 2010, 07:53 PM
Post #2

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Sep 1 2010, 06:09 PM) *
just want to throw this out for the forum to respond,

Is it just the obvious home-court European representation? Is it that the German's just don't care about their boring methodical safety-first styles of recent years?

I guess I should make a similar thread asking the exact same thing about Floyd Mayweather. At least the Klits have a high kill rate. Gayweather just stands around shooting blanks all night.

Why are they so drawn to them, drawing 10,000-20,000 people type crowds when most American's have had it with them, and HBO as pulled the plug on them because at least to American audiences, they have become boring to watch?

This is not intended to be a Klitschko bashing thread, but to ask what do the Germans see in them that Americans don't? Are cultural expectations for the brothers so different between the two countries? Do mediocre title defenses not matter to the Germans? What factors are involved here and why?

Jack

1.) Wladimir Klitschko has the best comp record of any active heavyweight in the world (aside from Evander Holyfield.) Name ONE fighter you THINK he should have fought that he HASN'T fought already.

2.) Let's see, which American heavyweight is there for Europeans to get behind again...........................................................................
..................................?

3.) I reckon I'm gonna step out on a HUGE limb here, but I think, in general, most European fans would rather get behind a well-spoken, articulate, intelligent, mild-mannered, technical fighter (the Klits), than say... I don't know, the top fighter from the U.S., a brash, loud-mouthed, whiny, over-sensitive, over-compensating bitch with daddy issues who is so adept at slipping punches that he has taken the defensive art-form to a new level. This level of course being that he doesn't even get in the ring with his top opponents.

Gee... it sure is hard to understand, ain't it?

+Quote Post
thehype
post Sep 1 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #3

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

Actually, I really don't think Europeans discriminate when it comes to who they get behind or who they don't get behind. I thitnk they'll get behind anyone if they deem them to be one of the best, which both of the Klitschko's have clearly proven. I think what's MORE IMPORTANT is that Europeans get behind the SPORT OF BOXING as a whole, so THAT'S why you see a big difference in the crowds. Honestly, even if it was Floyd Mayweather who fought over there, he'd probably pack them in too...not because they "back him", but because they appreciate the sweet science. Seeing as how half of my family still lives over in Germany, I can assure you that there are plenty of Germans who are just as frustrated with the Klitschkos as some of you guys are. But like I said, most Europeans tend to appreciate the sweet science a lot more than the average fan, so seeing Klitschko beat someone with just a jab or watching Mayweather should roll his way to victory isn't necessarily boring to them. Just my take on it though.

On a side note, I'd still love to see either Klitschko try to thump James Toney.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 1 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (Warlord @ Sep 1 2010, 07:53 PM) *
I guess I should make a similar thread asking the exact same thing about Floyd Mayweather. At least the Klits have a high kill rate. Gayweather just stands around shooting blanks all night.

1.) Wladimir Klitschko has the best comp record of any active heavyweight in the world (aside from Evander Holyfield.) Name ONE fighter you THINK he should have fought that he HASN'T fought already.

2.) Let's see, which American heavyweight is there for Europeans to get behind again...........................................................................
..................................?

3.) I reckon I'm gonna step out on a HUGE limb here, but I think, in general, most European fans would rather get behind a well-spoken, articulate, intelligent, mild-mannered, technical fighter (the Klits), than say... I don't know, the top fighter from the U.S., a brash, loud-mouthed, whiny, over-sensitive, over-compensating bitch with daddy issues who is so adept at slipping punches that he has taken the defensive art-form to a new level. This level of course being that he doesn't even get in the ring with his top opponents.

Gee... it sure is hard to understand, ain't it?

I agree with your sentiments if not your assessment. It still doesn't explain why they get in behind 2 guys that have such a lame ass boring style. They also love Huck and Abraham who certainly aren't as technically gifted as the Klits but at least bring a killer instinct into the ring. I can understand why they support those guys. But the Klits??

I would like to see them fight Briggs, Tua and Toney. Fuck it I know they beat all 3 but I've seen them fight the current crop so why not those guys.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 1 2010, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

I have no problem with Vitali as far as his style goes, he opens up pretty much and is aggressive, and still fights a smart fight for the most part. I don't mind his style so much, cause he opens up more.

Wladamir fights like a big pussy too much. Sure he has that right to, but we the paying fans ALSO have the right to not watch his boring ass and degrade him. That mother fucker would still be fighting on HBO if he did not have that way to safety style. Look at the fighters in recent fights.

Chambers KO 12. We had to wait 12 rounds until you iced this feather fisted heavy?

Chagaev- BORING!!! Snoozefest.

Rahman TKO 7. This takes the cake. Should have been KO1, but you refused to throw anything with a dead man in front of you.

Thompson KO11. Another snoozefest with no real damaging punches throughout.

Ibragimov W12. Can I say snoozefest yet again? Who the heck wants to watch this shit?

Now sure his opponents could have some things to attribute to shitty fights. But damn Wladamir is fucking huge and highly skilled with great leverage and power, he should be icing mother fuckers(and early on). Not dancing and prancing and pawing his jab around the ring for most of the night. That is the difference with PBF IMO, he is not a huge power puncher, and most his opponents have the power advantage on him. And do not confuse this with me saying anything about Wlad's competition, cause Wlad has fought the best available there is, no denying that. Most people have a problem with his style of fighting. And if you do like it, more power to you, I just find him terribly boring considering all his great physical tools he has.

This post has been edited by Lil-lightsout: Sep 1 2010, 10:32 PM

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Sep 1 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #6

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 1 2010, 11:30 PM) *
I have no problem with Vitali as far as his style goes, he opens up pretty much and is aggressive, and still fights a smart fight for the most part. I don't mind his style so much, cause he opens up more.

Wladamir fights like a big pussy too much. Sure he has that right to, but we the paying fans ALSO have the right to not watch his boring ass and degrade him. That mother fucker would still be fighting on HBO if he did not have that way to safety style. Look at the fighters in recent fights.

Chambers KO 12. We had to wait 12 rounds until you iced this feather fisted heavy?

Chagaev- BORING!!! Snoozefest.

Rahman TKO 7. This takes the cake. Should have been KO1, but you refused to throw anything with a dead man in front of you.

Thompson KO11. Another snoozefest with no real damaging punches throughout.

Ibragimov W12. Can I say snoozefest yet again? Who the heck wants to watch this shit?

Now sure his opponents could have some things to attribute to shitty fights. But damn Wladamir is fucking huge and highly skilled with great leverage and power, he should be icing mother fuckers(and early on). Not dancing and prancing and pawing his jab around the ring for most of the night. That is the difference with PBF IMO, he is not a huge power puncher, and most his opponents have the power advantage on him. And do not confuse this with me saying anything about Wlad's competition, cause Wlad has fought the best available there is, no denying that. Most people have a problem with his style of fighting. And if you do like it, more power to you, I just find him terribly boring considering all his great physical tools he has.

Wlad's chin dictates that he fight cautiously. I mean, let's not forget, this is boxing. Lose once and you're a fucking over-rated has-been never-was fucking bum. You gotta win by whatever means are available to you.

Fans have a right to hate your style or love it. That's cool. I just get burned when cats start cherry-picking fighters to hate on, while stroking the balls of another fighter, when both are guilty of the same things, ala Wlad and Gayweather. Both are defensive fighters, period.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 2 2010, 12:21 AM
Post #7

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (Warlord @ Sep 2 2010, 12:55 AM) *
Wlad's chin dictates that he fight cautiously. I mean, let's not forget, this is boxing. Lose once and you're a fucking over-rated has-been never-was fucking bum. You gotta win by whatever means are available to you.

Fans have a right to hate your style or love it. That's cool. I just get burned when cats start cherry-picking fighters to hate on, while stroking the balls of another fighter, when both are guilty of the same things, ala Wlad and Gayweather. Both are defensive fighters, period.

I do understand why he chooses to fight the way he does, not that I totally agree with it though as a fan. To me he should kind of find the middle ground. Not fight reckless and throwing bombs trying to take guys out, or on the other hand being a really laid back type of fighter who takes very little chances, he should just kind of fight in the middle of those two. You know what I mean.

I totally understand what you are saying about protecting his chin, just does not help his marketability, at least here the USA. IMO if he would have demolished some of these recent guys much sooner and showed more intensity, he would be way more popular and people would want to see him ice another fool. I am actually looking forward to his fight with Peter next, one thing Peter got is some raw power, and it should have some tense moments IF Peter actually comes to fight that night?

Hahaha. You are right, the day Wlad loses, you will see all these guys come out of the woodwork calling him a bum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Sep 2 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #8

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Sep 2 2010, 01:00 AM) *
LL, he's protecting his glass jaw. Case closed.

I have been thinking about this. Is it more his jaw itself, or his mentality in tough situations? Just wondering on your opinion.

This post has been edited by Lil-lightsout: Sep 2 2010, 12:25 AM

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Sep 2 2010, 01:00 AM
Post #9

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Sep 2 2010, 12:24 AM) *
I have been thinking about this. Is it more his jaw itself, or his mentality in tough situations? Just wondering on your opinion.

Wlad has ALWAYS picked himself up off the canvas. He's never been put out cold with one punch. It's always taken multiple knockdowns for guys to finish Wlad.

Unlike Lennox Lewis, who NEVER found a way to pick himself up off the canvas.

Wlad got off the deck 3 times to beat Sam Peter and retain his title. I don't think his mentality should be in doubt at this point.

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Sep 2 2010, 01:36 AM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

Why would you need to protect your chin from Eddie Chambers?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 11:28 PM