> Is Floyd the first boxing savant?
AZWildCat
post Mar 11 2014, 01:22 PM
Post #31

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (readydog72 @ Mar 11 2014, 12:33 AM) *
I do get it and you dont have to keep making it seem like i don't cause i dont agree with all you guys are typing. Savant is like the best ever; know all see all.
it just feel it tough for me to label him as such when he hasn't been "officially" knocked down or struggled. Yes you pick out a couple fights but he still owned them.

the thread label is in question format, so no.
Floyd the boxer is one of my all-time favorites but i should still be able to post my opinion without having to face the insults.

I almost had sympathy but....
http://pragmaticobotsunite.com/wp-content/...-up-b861095.jpg

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 11 2014, 01:11 PM) *
In as few words as possible: Yes

For people that disagree: What doesn't he know how to do very well.

Finally the definition of savant is wise man/expert in their respective field.

Thanks for for hitting the easy button Grover
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aware
post Mar 11 2014, 02:00 PM
Post #32

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 11 2014, 12:11 PM) *
In as few words as possible: Yes

For people that disagree: What doesn't he know how to do very well.

Finally the definition of savant is wise man/expert in their respective field.

That's not the only definition plus I already defined what I mean by it above.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 11 2014, 04:25 PM
Post #33

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Aware @ Mar 11 2014, 07:00 PM) *
That's not the only definition plus I already defined what I mean by it above.

Sure, also you said he hasn't been KDed or struggled, to be KD or struggled isn't in a boxers business, if you have done either you clearly can't be considered a savant. Sure struggling and being KD is part of the game, but it's usually not good to do either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Aware
post Mar 11 2014, 05:09 PM
Post #34

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 1,624

QUOTE (mgrover @ Mar 11 2014, 05:25 PM) *
Sure, also you said he hasn't been KDed or struggled, to be KD or struggled isn't in a boxers business, if you have done either you clearly can't be considered a savant. Sure struggling and being KD is part of the game, but it's usually not good to do either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

WTF are you talking about?

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Mar 11 2014, 05:43 PM
Post #35

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Mayweather is not only Skilled (built through training), Talented (physical traits born with), like he said he is God Gifted. He was literally born to do what he does, God wouldn't have made his arms so long lol. The Talent is usually what builds offense and Skills is what should build defense, obvious both add to each category but those are more of the specialties.

People are usually "Talented" when they are athletic: Roy Jones. Roy Jones was the original AB- Athletic Bastard, how fast he moves and him hopping all around, his speed, basically everything that makes Roy Jones Roy Jones is his Athleticness. But He wasn't as skilled as he was talented, atleast in terms of Longevity.

People gotta remember Ali was a heavy weight, the reason he stood out was because there was no other heavyweights that moved like he did and was as fast as he was, but one huge huge huge huge bad trait he had, NO BODY SHOTS! I don't get it, I understand a heavyweight got that punching power but to not be versatile enough to through body shots just makes Ali one-dimensional.

Mayweather on the other hand does it all, Inside outside, back foot front foot, blocking evasion, Walk down and cut off the ring. You know he's a savant because nowadays if you think of the perfect boxer (just imagine it in your head) your style would fit Mayweather's closer than anyones. Mayweather Orthodox, Rigondeaux southpaw with more of Mayweather's traits. Thats it.

He isn't a Savant yet, since his career isn't over. Until now i would say yes.... If You chose to be a boxer, what kind of career would you like to have, If you would like to be undefeated until 45-0 and be so good that you can have the lowest percentage of hits landed on you. What would else would you call that. TBE

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Mar 11 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #36

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Aware @ Mar 11 2014, 10:09 PM) *
WTF are you talking about?

Ah that was the other dude. readydog or something, my bad

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 06:22 PM