IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> just peeked at the fightnews rankings, i think their ....
AZWildCat
post Jan 21 2014, 11:33 AM
Post #11

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 21 2014, 11:24 AM) *
I don't trust many people's P4P rankings or division rankings, and so on...it's a subjective thing at the end of the day. I don't even trust my own rankings...nor should you all trust it...I'd shamelessly put Joe Calzaghe on my 168 rankings every time...atop of the list, might I add.

I hear you on that note. ...but we'd have a blast arguing justified spots ...and not nessasarally a p4p by a ranking by. Division .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 21 2014, 02:04 PM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

I will be the sacrificial lamb:

P4P

1. FMJ
2. T. Bradley
3. Andre Ward
4. Adonis Stevenson
5. Danny Garcia
6. G. Rigondeaux
7. Leo Santa Cruz
8. Mikey Garcia
9. Bernard Hopkins
10. V. Klit

+Quote Post
Plah
post Jan 21 2014, 07:39 PM
Post #13

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 21 2014, 02:04 PM) *

P4P

1. FMJ
2. T. Bradley
3. Andre Ward
4. Adonis Stevenson
5. Danny Garcia
6. G. Rigondeaux
7. Leo Santa Cruz
8. Mikey Garcia
9. Bernard Hopkins
10. V. Klit

Swap Bradley with Ward and Adonis with Rigo and Danny with Klit..... uh nvm. I don't expect anyone here to have the exact order, criteria, etc.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jan 21 2014, 10:26 PM
Post #14

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 21 2014, 01:04 PM) *

P4P

1. FMJ
2. T. Bradley
3. Andre Ward
4. Adonis Stevenson
5. Danny Garcia
6. G. Rigondeaux
7. Leo Santa Cruz
8. Mikey Garcia
9. Bernard Hopkins
10. V. Klit

Here we go lol

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jan 21 2014, 10:40 PM
Post #15

Junior Welterweight

No one said now lets keep it professional lol

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jan 22 2014, 11:24 AM
Post #16

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

Here you go:

1. Floyd
2. Ward
3. Bradley
4. Rigo
5. Danny Garcia
6. BHop
7. Mikey Garcia
8. Adonis Stevenson
9. Sergio Martinez
10. V. Klits

11. Leo Santa Cruz

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Jan 22 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #17

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

Kinda surprised FH never had a ranking for division,champs, P4P, etc.

1.Mayweather
2.Ward
3.Bradley
4.Rigondeaux
5.Stevenson
6.JMM
7.Hopkins
8.D.Garcia
9.M.Garcia
10.R.Gonzalez

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 23 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #18

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (BoxingEinstein @ Jan 22 2014, 01:15 PM) *
Kinda surprised FH never had a ranking for division,champs, P4P, etc.

1.Mayweather
2.Ward
3.Bradley
4.Rigondeaux
5.Stevenson
6.JMM
7.Hopkins
8.D.Garcia
9.M.Garcia
10.R.Gonzalez

I recall some years ago we had talked about doing a rating system, but it never materialized. What I remembered was the issue of subjectivity. My view was and remains that ratings are too subjective where everything is going to have different views about them. That's why I never really put that much into Ring Magazine ratings, especially since Golden Boy bought out the magazine. This is because:

1.) They are little more than who is the most popular fighter among each weight class.
2.) According to Ring policy-and post if this has changed, you can never get stripped of a title for inactivity. That means you can sit on your ass with a Ring belt and never have to fight and still be a ring "World Champion."
3.) Ring cannot force fights to take place. There's no elimination, there's no round robin. Ring talks about trying to compete against the alphabet federations, but until the ten contenders are actually fighting each other in round robin elimination tournaments, or something, it's still just a set of ratings.
4.) I remember Vitali Klitschko was made Ring Champion off of the "Loss" to Lennox Lewis, or off the strength of his effort, or some shit like that. Yes, it was a war. Yes, it was a hell of a fight. BUT Vitali lost that fight on a TKO cut eye stoppage, in one of the worst cuts seen in years. Ring promoted Vitali for losing.
5.) Arturo Gatti was made a top contender in a Ring Rating because of HBO's popular pom-poming of him, despite that he had never fought in that rated division before.

Ring is good for general consensus of who the champions and contenders are, but the writers and ratings committee can't force fights to happen. Only the promoters, sanctioning bodies, and fighters themselves can do that. The point is that whether it's Ring Magazine, Fightnews, or even if we at Fighthype did a rating system, there's always going to be subjectivity in it, and the only way you can reduce that subjectivity as a fighter, writer, reporter, or boxing fan, is to have the fighters fight each other. If your fighter wins he goes up in ratings, loses he goes down, draws, he stays the same until his next fight. If the fighters aren't fighting each other in elimination matches, anybody's ratings just becomes a subjectivity list. That's why my confidence in a rating system is only lukewarm

Jack

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jan 23 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 21 2014, 11:24 AM) *
I don't trust many people's P4P rankings or division rankings, and so on...it's a subjective thing at the end of the day. I don't even trust my own rankings...nor should you all trust it...I'd shamelessly put Joe Calzaghe on my 168 rankings every time...atop of the list, might I add.

You'd have to be ashamed NOT to put him atop that list..

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jan 21 2014, 11:26 PM) *
Here we go lol

Haha.
QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jan 22 2014, 12:24 PM) *
Here you go:

1. Floyd
2. Ward
3. Bradley
4. Rigo
5. Danny Garcia
6. BHop
7. Mikey Garcia
8. Adonis Stevenson
9. Sergio Martinez
10. V. Klits

11. Leo Santa Cruz

Good list Brut

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Jan 23 2014, 04:12 PM
Post #20

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jan 23 2014, 04:47 PM) *
I recall some years ago we had talked about doing a rating system, but it never materialized. What I remembered was the issue of subjectivity. My view was and remains that ratings are too subjective where everything is going to have different views about them. That's why I never really put that much into Ring Magazine ratings, especially since Golden Boy bought out the magazine. This is because:

1.) They are little more than who is the most popular fighter among each weight class.
2.) According to Ring policy-and post if this has changed, you can never get stripped of a title for inactivity. That means you can sit on your ass with a Ring belt and never have to fight and still be a ring "World Champion."
3.) Ring cannot force fights to take place. There's no elimination, there's no round robin. Ring talks about trying to compete against the alphabet federations, but until the ten contenders are actually fighting each other in round robin elimination tournaments, or something, it's still just a set of ratings.
4.) I remember Vitali Klitschko was made Ring Champion off of the "Loss" to Lennox Lewis, or off the strength of his effort, or some shit like that. Yes, it was a war. Yes, it was a hell of a fight. BUT Vitali lost that fight on a TKO cut eye stoppage, in one of the worst cuts seen in years. Ring promoted Vitali for losing.
5.) Arturo Gatti was made a top contender in a Ring Rating because of HBO's popular pom-poming of him, despite that he had never fought in that rated division before.

Ring is good for general consensus of who the champions and contenders are, but the writers and ratings committee can't force fights to happen. Only the promoters, sanctioning bodies, and fighters themselves can do that. The point is that whether it's Ring Magazine, Fightnews, or even if we at Fighthype did a rating system, there's always going to be subjectivity in it, and the only way you can reduce that subjectivity as a fighter, writer, reporter, or boxing fan, is to have the fighters fight each other. If your fighter wins he goes up in ratings, loses he goes down, draws, he stays the same until his next fight. If the fighters aren't fighting each other in elimination matches, anybody's ratings just becomes a subjectivity list. That's why my confidence in a rating system is only lukewarm

Jack

ETHER

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2014 - 06:17 PM