IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> whispers are that Floyd vs Guerrero did less than 1 mil in ppv buys, ppv #'s from may 5th (Post Closed-Circuit Figures Too)
karmine20
post May 7 2013, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Amateur

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,403

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2013/05/...1-million-buys/

if this is really true. do you think it was a bad move for showtime to sign that monsterous deal? I hope this is nothing but a rumor but i think there might be some truth to this. i really hope its not the case but we will find out sooner than later.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post May 7 2013, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,802

Honestly, it depends on why Showtime/CBS did the deal. Looking at the dominance of HBO in premium programming and ABC in the vertical integration of ABC Sports with the ESPN family and the launch of NBC Sports network, I think they are trying to stake a middle ground. Make a move on HBO in terms of premium cable market share and show a level of integration with over the air CBS and their CBS cable sports network. They are the only one with all three (premium cable, over air network and cable sports channel) but have the weakest integration and not as strong a brand. I think where they will really see a payoff is when they can leverage their over the air sports programming to sell fights. The NCAA tournament was a start, but the football season with broadcasting the SEC game of the week and NFL football will give them the platform they need to bring attention to their other sports properties. They could not really do so before, as they had nothing to sell on the other properties.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post May 7 2013, 03:00 PM
Post #3

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I think a huge reason is that the prices are too high $60 for SD and $70 for HD. if this rumor is true,

Promoters could profit more with PPV by lowering the prices to $50. They would get more buys that way.

Jack

+Quote Post
pimpfighterROQ
post May 7 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,368

would not be surprised if this is true. Before all the hype for this fight, Guerero was a nobody. Remember how Floyd pulled that he might fight Alexander next? So the public wished the Guerero fight instead?

Plus Guerero isn't really a fighter that Mexicans would celebrate over on Cinco de Mayo weekend. The undercard without Alvarez also played here as well imo.

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post May 7 2013, 03:06 PM
Post #5

Junior Flyweight

Also, this may sound crazy, but way more Black clubs were sponsoring fight parties for this and the last Floyd fight. I think Floyd fight night was killing their business for a Saturday night with all the fight parties. My understanding is that it costs over $2k for a bar to buy the fight. Many folks I know who would have either thrown or attended an in home fight party here in St. Louis attended in a lounge or club. Clubs cant afford to give away a Saturday night, so they have moved into the Mayweather fight scene. Heck, my sister had a fight party at her barbershop a few fights ago, but now her account is flagged as commercial, so.......

Of course, this is purely anecdotal.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post May 7 2013, 03:21 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

For all of you that said, who is Alvarez to think he calls the shots. Here's your freakin' zinger... Alvarez/Trout would have brought this PPV well over a million buys. That was a fight people wanted to see. I refused to buy Mayweather/Guerrero on its face. Guerrero was at 135, doing well. People were not that interested in Mayweather/Guerrero. Mayweathers fans were really the only ones buying into that shit because they wanted to see their Michael Jackson in another blowout. Well, I hope these numbers getr considered in the negotiations for ALvarez(if it happens). Also that $69 was kinda steep too. Wasnt Lewis/Tyson $25? How'd we get to $69 PPV's so fast??

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post May 7 2013, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Junior Flyweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 03:21 PM) *
For all of you that said, who is Alvarez to think he calls the shots. Here's your freakin' zinger... Alvarez/Trout would have brought this PPV well over a million buys. That was a fight people wanted to see. I refused to buy Mayweather/Guerrero on its face. Guerrero was at 135, doing well. People were not that interested in Mayweather/Guerrero. Mayweathers fans were really the only ones buying into that shit because they wanted to see their Michael Jackson in another blowout. Well, I hope these numbers getr considered in the negotiations for ALvarez(if it happens). Also that $69 was kinda steep too. Wasnt Lewis/Tyson $25? How'd we get to $69 PPV's so fast??

How do you account for the much smaller subscriber base for Showtime as opposed to HBO. Huge PPV numbers are based on casual fans who are attracted by things like 24/7 and All Access. When fewer people see those infomercials for fights, you will have fewer PPV buys. That is to be expected to an extent and was called before the fight by others on the board.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post May 7 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #8

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 03:21 PM) *

I don't think Tyson fights were $25 Based on overall PPV averages from cable and dish systems, my memory is the following:

Tyson fights were $30 until Tyson-McNeeley, which was $40. I am pretty sure that Tyson-Lewis was $40. Tyson-Foreman was the first big deal $40 PPV. Some systems did not buy Tyson-McNeeley because of the predicted blow-out, or waited until the last minute. Over a million people (including me) got suckered into that shit. Tyson-Holyfield was $50 for both I and II. (I think $45.00 if you ordered early.) They used to take $5.00 off for early orders. Not so anymore.

I used to get PPV until we upgraded to Triple Play Services in 2007. (Cable, DVR, High Speed Internet and Phone.) We get discounted rates each year, and only play about $185 compared to others who pay about $230 for the same services. The thing is, I just didn't think that PPV is warranted anymore by having an added $60-$70 added to the bill. We have HBO, Showtime, and Sports Pass along with DVR service.

And its not like I am never going to see the fight. On-line stuff is there and its free. PPV np longer represents value anymore, regardless of the fight. $70 now, what's in five years? A $100 championship fight? Unless you have unlimited funds, where do you draw the line and say, "enough?"

Jack

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 7 2013, 03:55 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

canelo definitely would have given a significant bump to the ppv numbers. there's no denying that. mares isn't as known as canelo.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: May 7 2013, 04:00 PM

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post May 7 2013, 04:14 PM
Post #10

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,480

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ May 7 2013, 04:21 PM) *

And yet Alvarez still hasn't headlined his own PPV........ I do agree Avarez/Trout would have netted more PPV's, but Canelo was still in no place to dictate. FMJ had actually fought just as many 154 pounders in the last 12 months than Alvarez. Lol
PPV prices have gotten out of hand though. The only way to see a change in that is for the consumer to speak with their wallet. If Floyd Does fight Canelo I'll tip my hat to him for sure. That weight dispariTY is no joke.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:54 PM