IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If the so called "Superfight" had happened, How would Floyd have fought him, what style?
BrutUalBK
post Dec 28 2012, 09:55 AM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

Well, now that the so called "Superfight" is off the table and Pac and Arum rejected a 40 million dollar payday I often wonder how/what style/manner would Floyd have chosen to box/fight Manny?

We all know that Manny only knows one way to fight, he will come forward and dart in and out-never changing tempo, never counterpunching, setting traps or timing/measuring his opponent>>>contrary to what many of his fans believe>>>he was never a Boxer in the classic sense.

Floyd is the consummate Boxer, he uses his defense to create offense (except when someone tags him, then he goes on the attack) but he does all the things you'd love to see a true Master Boxer should: he uses the ring to circle his opponents with his legs or even stands in the pocket and circles, he sets traps, shoulder rolls, uses the caging method when on the ropes, rolls with the punches when they connect, ducks/dodges, slips, punches at angles, curls his gloves to catch punches, counterpunches and then spins out on the exit, jabs to the stomach and then feints a jab to the stomach and comes back to the head. I guess I could go on and on but we've all seen it everytime he fights.

The question is which style/manner would he had used in your opinion to fight Manny, here's my take:

Floyd is a defensive fighter first, he never takes punishment unnecessarily unless he's trying to entertain the crowd (see the Augustus and Cotto fights for reference) so given that we know his true nature that's what I believe he would've stuck to. Floyd is a notoriously slow starter (unless you crack him good and make him fight, see Mosley fight for reference), so given that we know this much about him it is likely that he would've taken about 4-5 rounds and figured out Manny's speed, angles and took away his right hook then the whuppin would commence.

I believe that he would've elected after the 4th or 5th to simply stand in the pocket and make Manny miss and then counter him all night, I don't believe he ever would've came forward because he knows that Manny will only go forward plus he'd have many more opportunities to counterpunch/potshot/pick him apart as he darted in and out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Dec 28 2012, 10:25 AM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

I don't really know how Floyd would fight since I have never seen him doing one thing twice. BUT...when I was imagining the fight, I always saw Floyd doing that little jump backwards when Manny was trying to do some of his jab-jab-left combo's. I think Floyd would definitely try to abuse Manny's lack of reach by doing these little things. All in all, I think he would fight like he did against Mosley. Conservative, carefuly placing shots and jabbing to the stomach like he did against Corrales.

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Dec 28 2012, 03:00 PM
Post #3

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

He would fight Manny defensively at the start, counter punching and using his size (height and reach) advantage then towards the end of the fight i would think he'd start to bully Manny while still countering but more aggressively almost how Broner fights.
I don't think we would see him fight the way he fought Cotto (staying in the pocket, not trying to get off the ropes/out the corners) simply because he knows Manny is great at fighting people who do that.
If this fight would've happened it would have been a late stoppage and Floyd would be the victor relatively easily

This post has been edited by Kratza: Dec 28 2012, 03:01 PM

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Dec 28 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #4

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I think he would use his most underrated weapon in his arsenal for the first 4 rounds. That beautiful jab to the belly...just like he did vs Oscar. Everytime Manny would be try to set him up with a combo, he'd touch him to the belly with the jab and make Manny start from scratch. Manny would get frustrated, drop his guard, and then Floyd would go to the str8 right as a counter. Then Manny would try to engage and make Floyd throw more, walking in with his guard covering his face. Floyd would sweep the hook around the guard like he did Cotto. Manny would do his trademark fist pound and invite it in. Not being foolish, Floyd would maintain his composure and take his time. Manny would start trying to pick up the pace, land a few in the middle rounds and gain confidence only to have Floyd put it on him in the championship rounds. I don't think Floyd would stop him. I think he'd be more satisfied with tattooing Manny for 12 rounds. I think if there was a stoppage it would be by Roach or the Ref...not by KO.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Dec 28 2012, 04:41 PM
Post #5

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Manny is not like anyone he's ever fought, so it would be interesting to see exactly how it'd go down. I imagine it would be a very high paced fight, but quite one-sided in scores.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 28 2012, 06:23 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

some sort of UD for Floyd, I can't see him stopping Manny, well now am not so sure depends how Manny takes a punch so he might KO him, but lets say it happened after the Pac fought Cotto, I doubt he was going to really stop him, Mayweather never commits to his right hands the way Marquez did that fight.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Dec 29 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #7

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (Franchize @ Dec 28 2012, 03:19 PM) *
I think he would use his most underrated weapon in his arsenal for the first 4 rounds. That beautiful jab to the belly...just like he did vs Oscar. Everytime Manny would be try to set him up with a combo, he'd touch him to the belly with the jab and make Manny start from scratch. Manny would get frustrated, drop his guard, and then Floyd would go to the str8 right as a counter. Then Manny would try to engage and make Floyd throw more, walking in with his guard covering his face. Floyd would sweep the hook around the guard like he did Cotto. Manny would do his trademark fist pound and invite it in. Not being foolish, Floyd would maintain his composure and take his time. Manny would start trying to pick up the pace, land a few in the middle rounds and gain confidence only to have Floyd put it on him in the championship rounds. I don't think Floyd would stop him. I think he'd be more satisfied with tattooing Manny for 12 rounds. I think if there was a stoppage it would be by Roach or the Ref...not by KO.

This. Also, Pactards would've had left the sport in early 2010 instead of late '12. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 29 2012, 10:53 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Dec 28 2012, 06:55 AM) *
Well, now that the so called "Superfight" is off the table and Pac and Arum rejected a 40 million dollar payday I often wonder how/what style/manner would Floyd have chosen to box/fight Manny?

We all know that Manny only knows one way to fight, he will come forward and dart in and out-never changing tempo, never counterpunching, setting traps or timing/measuring his opponent>>>contrary to what many of his fans believe>>>he was never a Boxer in the classic sense.

Floyd is the consummate Boxer, he uses his defense to create offense (except when someone tags him, then he goes on the attack) but he does all the things you'd love to see a true Master Boxer should: he uses the ring to circle his opponents with his legs or even stands in the pocket and circles, he sets traps, shoulder rolls, uses the caging method when on the ropes, rolls with the punches when they connect, ducks/dodges, slips, punches at angles, curls his gloves to catch punches, counterpunches and then spins out on the exit, jabs to the stomach and then feints a jab to the stomach and comes back to the head. I guess I could go on and on but we've all seen it everytime he fights.

The question is which style/manner would he had used in your opinion to fight Manny, here's my take:

Floyd is a defensive fighter first, he never takes punishment unnecessarily unless he's trying to entertain the crowd (see the Augustus and Cotto fights for reference) so given that we know his true nature that's what I believe he would've stuck to. Floyd is a notoriously slow starter (unless you crack him good and make him fight, see Mosley fight for reference), so given that we know this much about him it is likely that he would've taken about 4-5 rounds and figured out Manny's speed, angles and took away his right hook then the whuppin would commence.

I believe that he would've elected after the 4th or 5th to simply stand in the pocket and make Manny miss and then counter him all night, I don't believe he ever would've came forward because he knows that Manny will only go forward plus he'd have many more opportunities to counterpunch/potshot/pick him apart as he darted in and out.

Emanuel Augustus has to be one of my favorite Floyd fight. To answer your question, I think the fight would go be similar to his fight with Shane Mosley. I think Manny would hit Mayweather early and once that happens Mayweather will go on an all out assault. he would cut off the ring and force Manny to fight his way, he would pot shot and hit him with counter shots and left hooks all night. Manny only comes forward and he lunges in off balance Floyd would pick his shot from there. Mayweather would get Pac to go into panic mode and that would be the beginning of the end. Or the fight could look similar to the Judah fight, Floyd would buy his time and just box Manny's eyes out.

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Dec 30 2012, 05:14 PM

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Dec 30 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

Wow, I've read all of the breakdowns on this topic and it appears that everyone has their own versions of what we all thought we'd see and for the most part I can envision nearly everything everyone said here happening at some point in the fight. I do find it strange that not one person stated Floyd would outright KO Manny though we know he has the power to do it, I believe Floyd could've easily walked Manny into a KO punch from a straight right or a blazing fast left hook the likes of how he put Chico down on the 2nd knockdown in the 7th round of their fight.

Victor Ortiz has proven he's got a great beard despite getting his jaw broken (due to his mouth being opened when he got hit) and he was able to put him to sleep so I'm sure he would've been quite capable of putting Manny to sleep especially hitting him with one of those unseen shots as Pac bullrushes in.

Too bad Manny and Arum decided to play it safe facing the old man Marquez instead of taking the 40 million to make the so called "biggest fight" in boxing history, now the world will never know.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st September 2014 - 03:45 AM