Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fernando Vargas....what happened?
Dolimite
post Dec 4 2013, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

I always dug Vargas, I have no idea why, I just did. Vargas was a good fighter, his five loses came from Oscar (he was in over his head with Oscar), Trinidad, Mosley (twice) and Mayorga (which I did not agree with the majority decision). What the hell happen to him. He could still fight but I guess he figured his time had passed and he did all he could of done for the sport. I would of loved to see him fought Mayweather and Canelo. he has the mouth to do it and the following. Maybe Vargas wasn't the the most talented boxer but come on he went to the Olympics and did well (yeah he lost in the second round but still) and did some other great things as an amateur. Vargas exited the sport too soon for me, but again, if he felt he could not perform at the level of greatness he wanted to perform at, he did the right thing and walked away. I wish Mosley and Jones Jr. would do the same....
What do yawl think about Vargas's career? Could he done more or was he limited in his ability? I always looked at him as the anti Oscar. His best wins for me was Winky Wright (RIP) and Ike Quartey and I guess you can throw Yori Campas in there as well.
By the way... is Oscar out of rehab yet?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 4 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

The PEDs man, the peds...

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 4 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #3

Middleweight

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 4 2013, 11:58 AM) *
The PEDs man, the peds...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cray.gif) No way! You just ruined my Christmas! Shit! C'mon man!!! Say it ain't so... damn you Vargas!

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Dec 4 2013, 05:41 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Whathahappened was... He was never that good

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 4 2013, 05:47 PM
Post #5

Middleweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 4 2013, 02:41 PM) *

Come Check, he was okay. He wasn't the world's greatest but he held his own.

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 4 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 4 2013, 07:30 PM) *
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cray.gif) No way! You just ruined my Christmas! Shit! C'mon man!!! Say it ain't so... damn you Vargas!

I can't actually tell if your being sarcastic or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Dec 4 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #7

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,879

he was always entertaining as shit to me, and he was tough as nails. he could take a battering man, he could take some serious punishment to that babyface of his. he looked like a 6 year old boys head on an 18 year old "not in the good of shape" mexican's body. that trinidad fight is mythical. the PEDs tainted his whole career, because that oscar win is what would have made him the star he wanted to be. he as always very very limited in his abilities tho, he was a puncher, who could box, but had almost no defensive movement when he did box, so he would get swatted alot.

edit: I wish i could go back in time and cut off those 2 stupid pieces of hair he had in the front while the rest was shaved, looked so stupid LOL.

This post has been edited by klonopinz: Dec 4 2013, 07:05 PM

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Dec 4 2013, 07:18 PM
Post #8

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 4 2013, 07:56 PM) *
I can't actually tell if your being sarcastic or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Bbsaahahahahahahahaha

He did look real good against ike but winky got robbed. I also still think he'd whip canelo ass!

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Dec 4 2013, 08:23 PM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

Another decent fighter with an * attached to his career. He was limited as a fighter but he made up for it in more ways then one. I always liked him, he was a real dude, and I wish he would've whipped Mayorga

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 4 2013, 09:59 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Dec 4 2013, 02:30 PM) *

Yep, those PEDs messed him up. He made some BS excuse about the PEDs messing with his thyroid gland...but that may have been true. Lol

QUOTE (checkleft @ Dec 4 2013, 05:41 PM) *

True, but I also believe that he was moved a bit too fast. That Tito fight was the beginning of the end for him.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Dec 4 2013, 08:23 PM) *
Another decent fighter with an * attached to his career. He was limited as a fighter but he made up for it in more ways then one. I always liked him, he was a real dude, and I wish he would've whipped Mayorga

I'll admit, I was a bit hurt that he couldn't pull of the W against Mayorga. He was just too damn fat and lacked dedication at that point of his career.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 04:40 AM