Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Miguel Cotto Vs. Saul Alvarez, Two legit. 154lbrs with massive fan bases
Cheesey1
post Dec 6 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,505

I don't know if anybody else posted this topic before. If anybody did, sorry (I also have to give a shoutout to some poster on RingTalk who mentioned this, but I was thinking about it before).
I think that Cotto vs. Canelo (if Cotto leaves Top Rank) is a no brainer. Some more of that great rivalry – Puerto Rico vs. Mexico, two boxers that are the biggest draws in their respective countries and they’re actually in the same weight class (ranked 1 and 2, at least according to BoxRec, who is by no means the end all be all, but they don't exactly suck either). These guys are also known, to varying degrees, outside of their home countries, so the fight would do good numbers.
Experience vs. youth. That’s the match up that makes the most sense to me. Big money and if Canelo loses, so what, losing to a champ like Miguel Cotto won’t hurt his career.

Not only is it a good matchup, but also a realistic one (as long as Bob Arum doesn't handle these negotiations the same way he's handling the other "negotiations").

So, what do youse tink?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Genius
post Dec 7 2011, 12:59 AM
Post #2

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,359

I think its a good fight to tell us where each guy is at, neither guy have beaten a top 10 fighter in the division. Big money fight too, so it could happen.

+Quote Post
streetlion1
post Dec 7 2011, 01:36 AM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 6,534

I gotta see Alvarez against better competition...at this point I would have Cotto winning big.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 7 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Im pushing more towards Alvarez in this one, if and only if Cotto doesn't bring the fight to him. I've never looked at Cotto as a counter puncher, so his best bet is to be first and stay busy...exchanging with Alvarez at this point of his (Cotto's) career, is detrimental.

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 7 2011, 10:20 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

I think that what you guys are saying is showing that this would be a good (I think, very good) and enjoyable fight. It would have drama and not be a foregone conclusion and we wouldn't have any catchweight nonsense to get in the way of the boxers' performance. Plus whoever wins will definitely make a statement and generate quite a few boxing headlines.

This post has been edited by Cheesey1: Dec 7 2011, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 7 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #6

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Khan's next! WAR KHAN!!!

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Dec 7 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #7

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Dec 7 2011, 10:42 AM) *
Khan's next! WAR KHAN!!!

Are you being facetious, or is that really the case? I'm guessing that you're joking.

+Quote Post
Seek
post Dec 7 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #8

An inbred jackass...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,971

Great fight. Canelo has a size and age advantage. Cotto has the skills and experience advantage. They are both very patient boxer punchers which would deliver a tactical battle. Both possess power with combinations. Canelo not only has a powerful left hook but a strong quick right hand. Cotto the same with less power on the right hand. Honestly this is too big a step for Canelo at the moment. You don't gain anything by beating up guys like Gomez and Cintron. Sure if Cintron would have showed up and fought till the end, we would have seen a lot more from Canelo but right now he is still hasn't been tested. Would have to go with Cotto by ud at the moment. Very unlikely this fight happens anyway with Cotto recently stating he will stay with TR with an unwritten agreement

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 7 2011, 12:16 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Dec 7 2011, 12:02 PM) *
Are you being facetious, or is that really the case? I'm guessing that you're joking.

With me Cheesey...ya never know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) ...

+Quote Post
BoxingEinstein
post Dec 7 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #10

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,243

Hey, everyone I'm making a online petition for the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight to be made. I'm right now working on it and I will distribute it through different media outlets thanks to one of my friends who work as a tv ad agent and media consultant. My goal is to get 3 million people to sign the petition and I will send it to Top Ranks HQ and executives. When I post it online and on this website plus countless others make sure you get other people close to your or far from you to sign it so we can as fans do are part to help get this fight made. I'm also looking to make a letter to send to Pacman's personal website to hopefully get one of the writers to notify someone close to Pacquiao to step up and talk to Arum about making the fight happen. Thank you for your support and as fans of a sport that we help grow or hurt we must do are part to make this fight that will help boxing alot.

Thanks, Einstein.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2014 - 12:37 AM