> Arum claims that there no Issues concerning May&Pac Fight
thehype
post Aug 5 2011, 09:46 AM
Post #31

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (EAlbian @ Aug 5 2011, 10:25 AM) *
I believe they both are hurting the sport with their antics. I truly believe they both think they are bigger than the sport itself right now. the fight needs to get over and on with so that boxing fans can have some closure and the debates can end. New stars deserve the right to shine and as long as they remain in the sport without fighting each other they are holding boxing back. There are so many good fights that can be made without either yet no matter who's fighting their names seem to surface in the telecast.

I disagree. The longer they DON'T fight each other, the longer the sport gets more publicity. In my opinion, I think their antics have brought A LOT of attention to the sport...a lot more than it was getting prior to talks of them fighting. So long as they DON'T fight each other, new stars actually will get a chance to shine. Victor Ortiz will have his opportunity in September. Perhaps Amir Khan and Timothy Bradley will also get their chance. The minute they do fight though, that's pretty much gonna be a wrap for either one or both of their careers. As long as they don't fight, they will both have their own PPV cards, which will give other fighters an opportunity to shine on their undercards. It's kind of like having two networks to fight for. I mean, just imagine if they fought back in March 2010. If Mayweather won, he probably would have retired for good because there's no one else really out there other than Martinez, but that's not a big fight at all, so I doubt he would have been all that motivated to fight Martinez for $20-$40 million when he just made $100+ million. Same with Pacquiao, if he won, he likely would have became a politician and bounced from the sport too. As long as they don't fight each other, they'll keep on fighting others to outshine each other. That's a good thing for the sport as it creates a lot of mega-fights that we likely wouldn't have got. Imagine having to pay for Bradley vs. Alexander or Khan vs. Judah on PPV. LOL.

And they're not holding back boxing at all. Boxing is on the rise lately. In fact, there's been quite a few good scraps that have taken place regardless of whether or not they've fought.

Just my two cents though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Aug 5 2011, 10:06 AM
Post #32

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 5 2011, 09:30 AM) *
Yes I do, but not because Bob Arum wants it to happen. More than anything, Mr. and Mrs. Pacquiao want their money, particularly Mrs. Pacquiao, so I think they're really starting to push the issue.

Bob Arum saying "there are no issues" is more about him making sure he keeps Manny happy by making it look like that fight is a priority to him. Again, just look at the person Arum told that to...Michael Marley. That's their go-to guy when it comes time to spin a story. If there's any doubt that Michael Marley writes stories that he's told to write, just go read this article:

http://fighthype.com/pages/content10439.html

And be sure to listen to the audio clip. I'm telling you, both he and Koncz were exposed when they tried to spin a story to smash Tim James. The fact that Marley wrote stories that Koncz told him to write is all you really need to know. I mean, the guy was ready to tell the world who sent the infamous email, but the minute he got caught, that story never came out.

Honestly, if I were Arum, I'd distance myself from Marley if he wants to keep spinning stories. It's not a good idea to give information to someone who was caught red-handed trying to start a smear campaign because he was told to do so.

But yeah, anyway, I do think the fight is close, but more than likely, both guys will probably have one more fight before it happens. From the information I've heard, it's my opinion that Pacquiao, or should I say certain individuals around Pacquiao, would prefer for him to be out of his contract with Arum before the fight takes place. I'm not really sure if that's going to be possible, but I do think they're going to try. We shall see though.

I guess my next question would be: Who do you think has the edge and who do you like in the fight? I feel May's boxing IQ will give him the edge. Pac does have a high work rate but if he is getting hit at every turn then he may think twice about coming in. If he can't see May's punches do to a swollen eye then what will he do? I look at how May fought Genero Hernandez and I think that is how the fight would go. May is too smart of a boxer to brawl with Manny. May will hit him at will, not to say Manny will not get his shots I just do not see Manny having the boxing IQ or technique to beat May..... In my humble opinion.

This post has been edited by Allmenjoi8: Aug 5 2011, 10:07 AM

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Aug 5 2011, 10:22 AM
Post #33

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 5 2011, 10:18 AM) *
Dusty the Organ Grinder is one of the real problems with boxing. Hopefully, he will finish dissolving before our eyes and blow away in a wisp of breeze.

we need a good story smarty... you havent told one in quite some time now!!!

+Quote Post
thehype
post Aug 5 2011, 10:43 AM
Post #34

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 5 2011, 11:06 AM) *
I guess my next question would be: Who do you think has the edge and who do you like in the fight? I feel May's boxing IQ will give him the edge. Pac does have a high work rate but if he is getting hit at every turn then he may think twice about coming in. If he can't see May's punches do to a swollen eye then what will he do? I look at how May fought Genero Hernandez and I think that is how the fight would go. May is too smart of a boxer to brawl with Manny. May will hit him at will, not to say Manny will not get his shots I just do not see Manny having the boxing IQ or technique to beat May..... In my humble opinion.

As easily as Mosley was turning him and staying out of harm's way after being dropped early in the fight and wanting the fight to be stopped, I really don't see any other choice but to go with Mayweather. That's not to say that Manny won't have his moments and may actually catch him...but in my opinion, the smart money is on Mayweather pulling out a decision in a fight that does not even come close to the hype. Besides, I've already seen Manny ouboxed on a few occassions, so I think he'll have the more difficult task at hand.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Aug 5 2011, 11:04 AM
Post #35

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 5 2011, 10:43 AM) *
As easily as Mosley was turning him and staying out of harm's way after being dropped early in the fight and wanting the fight to be stopped, I really don't see any other choice but to go with Mayweather. That's not to say that Manny won't have his moments and may actually catch him...but in my opinion, the smart money is on Mayweather pulling out a decision in a fight that does not even come close to the hype. Besides, I've already seen Manny ouboxed on a few occasions, so I think he'll have the more difficult task at hand.

In Vegas who would get the edge, May or Pac? I know a lot has to do with popularity and maybe the odds will be that Manny will catch May. My money (if I gambled) would def be on May. Hype, do you think the fight would stop do to a swollen eye or maybe May would get him a in situation where Manny can't defend himself, Like Angel M.? Hopefully this fight will happen soon, the Pactards and Flomo comments are wearing thin.

+Quote Post
oozemcbuck
post Aug 5 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #36

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 7,112

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Aug 4 2011, 10:44 AM) *
According to a recent article by Michael Marely (speculation can start now) Bob Arum has stated that there is nothing holding up the fight between May and Pac. Michael asked Arum what about the testing issue, Arum said there is no issue that everything has been settled. My question is, is this hype of is it for real? Can there be a possible 2012 match between the two biggest names in boxing. I would have May by either UD or a late stoppage due to Manny's eye shut. I would say Manny but his has 0 boxing skills, no jab, and his defense is left to be desired, now he does have a punchers chance, I doubt if May would let him get close to him to have that chance. May will box him throughout the fight and use his size against Pac and uses his reach to tag Manny all night. This fight will resemble how he fought Judah.

Ohh, so he was lying ... YESTERDAY !

Easy night for Floyd, plus he's gonna have a HUGE chip on his shoulder. Roach will throw in the towel at some point.

+Quote Post
EAlbian
post Aug 5 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #37

Team BU''s Little Play Thing...LOL

Member No.: 7,451

QUOTE (thehype @ Aug 5 2011, 09:46 AM) *
I disagree. The longer they DON'T fight each other, the longer the sport gets more publicity. In my opinion, I think their antics have brought A LOT of attention to the sport...a lot more than it was getting prior to talks of them fighting. So long as they DON'T fight each other, new stars actually will get a chance to shine. Victor Ortiz will have his opportunity in September. Perhaps Amir Khan and Timothy Bradley will also get their chance. The minute they do fight though, that's pretty much gonna be a wrap for either one or both of their careers. As long as they don't fight, they will both have their own PPV cards, which will give other fighters an opportunity to shine on their undercards. It's kind of like having two networks to fight for. I mean, just imagine if they fought back in March 2010. If Mayweather won, he probably would have retired for good because there's no one else really out there other than Martinez, but that's not a big fight at all, so I doubt he would have been all that motivated to fight Martinez for $20-$40 million when he just made $100+ million. Same with Pacquiao, if he won, he likely would have became a politician and bounced from the sport too. As long as they don't fight each other, they'll keep on fighting others to outshine each other. That's a good thing for the sport as it creates a lot of mega-fights that we likely wouldn't have got. Imagine having to pay for Bradley vs. Alexander or Khan vs. Judah on PPV. LOL.

And they're not holding back boxing at all. Boxing is on the rise lately. In fact, there's been quite a few good scraps that have taken place regardless of whether or not they've fought.

Just my two cents though.

You definitely makes some valid points and i do agree with you. Where i have a problem is fighters like Tim Bradley who hold out for a chance to fight Pac or May, they are both worth so much that guys are willing to sideline themselves or jump the gun to get rich quick. If the fight was made they would be fighting each other the young guys would be jockeying for position to get the shot at the winner or to put the loser out of his misery. No fighter wants to go out on a loss and when you draw like Mayweather and Pac you still draw 2x as much as any other fighter (even coming off a loss), maybe there is a rematch a fight or two down the road. The point i was trying to make is have the fight so the next guy in line can step up, right now none of these guys are a real threat to Mayweather or Pac imo and taking losses to them now is never going to make them a superstar. The winner is going to be worth 50 million a fight the loser is still worth 20 million. Maybe in a years time these guys are ready for Mayweather and Pacquaio but if the fight is in a year or two from now and either takes a loss along the way it was just a huge waste of everyone's time. I understand that guys get exposure fighting on their under cards but they would get more exposure fighting on HBO in good fights and eventually challenging them from across the ring. Boxing is not contingent on Mayweather and Pacquiao. they do add life from the general media and thats good for the sport but their time is drawing to a close and we need to start looking for the next guys to carry the torch. just my opinion

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Aug 5 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #38

The Consultant

Member No.: 14

I think that because of the 100 millions of dollars generated from this potential fight, that if Mayweather-Pacquiao happens, it will be the last fight of their careers, unless it ends in controversy or produces great excitement for a rematch or trilogy. Either will probably vacate the title when won, because there is nothing else for them to do but fight each other. The WBC just mandated a rematch between Aydin and Dan, in which Aydin won a Split decision in Turkey that was controversial. The winner gets the Silver Elimination belt and the #1 spot for Mayweather-Pacquaio, but who is going to want to see that?

All these dudes have left to fight is each other.

Jack

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Aug 5 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #39

The Consultant

Member No.: 14

What do you guys think if Don King was involved in this, I mean instead of Arum? Do you think Don could have got something done and made this fight? He's good at making shit happen when there is a big fight like this. Manny should leave Arum and be a free agent. Floyd could also be a free agent. They could sell this fight compatible to Ali and Frazier with their contrasting styles of Good Guy Manny vs. Bad Guy Floyd, not seen since the days of Duran-Leonard I.

And HOLY FUCKING SHIT! Could you imagine the negative crap that would happen if those tests came back positive after all of this? Or even an error or some shit?!

Jack

+Quote Post
sduck
post Aug 5 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #40

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Hype is exactly right... The only upcoming worldwide stars are in the Welterweights, all the other divisions are pretty much dead now as far as "star power" goes. The fact that this fight has so much delay and build up gave time for younger champions like Khan and Bradley to rise up. If the fight happened years ago, boxing would of already peaked for this era.

As for when this fight finally happens... easy work... Mayweather is going to fight Pac two ways, backpedal and potshot (like Marquez did), or fight him in the pocket (like he did to Hatton). Pacquiao has way too many flaws, one noticeably is his footwork. Constantly lunges off balance when he punches, he won't be able to do that if you fight him in the pocket. As for distance, Pacquiao doesn't come at you with much technique, he gets eaten up by timed and power counter punches. Pac is not going to have an answer for any of May's counter and defensive techniques, he'll keep pressing forward getting eaten up all day... I know that analysis is pretty one-sided but I don't buy into hype, I'm expecting a massacre. TKO by 10 or 12, or lopsided decision numbers in favor of Mayweather.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 05:04 PM