IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> should hbo just reel in jim lampley, or get rid of him altogether?
daprofessor
post Mar 26 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #101

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 26 2013, 03:51 PM) *
Lamps does a terrible job of commentating when he tries to call punches that he ASSume are landing and therefore he should just shut up about that part, however he does have a way of collectively putting together words and not in a Shakesperian way that the old Boozeheaded Merchant does that seems to capture the moment.

I like the way Lamps called the Hopkins fight when he said "This is cold, clinical performance by a true professional fighter, Hopkins".

Merchant would've tried to jazz up that same comment by saying something like this: "Hopkins is an ol fox chasin a mouse who is trying to get the cheese" or something even more Shakesperian like "a bloody good fight deserves a bloody good glass of wine, Hopkins is that 1814 Merlot".

I say that HBO (Hate Bruthas Only) should've canned Merchant a long time ago and move Max Kellerman into the color commentary role as the lead, he doesn't tend to hate and keeps his assessment of what the fighters are doing to an even keel most of the time.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

max sucks these day...so i disagree with the last statement.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Mar 26 2013, 11:09 PM
Post #102

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

I have detested Jim ever since he divorced Bree Walker. She made that asshole and the moment he got on top he left her. The question is who would they get to replace him with? They could try to yank Teddy Atlas from ESPN but Teddy would tell Max to shut the fuck up ( rightly so) and then we would have issues. I honestly feel that Jim has started to believe his own shit. He is a disgruntle asshole. He has lost his zest and his boxing show sucks. He is losing ground and to be honest I can not wait for the day he leaves. I use to be a Cowboy fan but until they get rid of that fucking choke artist of a QB I will never cheer for Dallas. This is how I feel about HBO until they get fans of the sport to announce these fights I am riding with Showtime!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 26 2013, 11:28 PM
Post #103

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I know a guy where a comment of Jim's pissed him off to no end!

It was the week after HBO did a PPV fight, showing the tape delay on "Regular HBO." Lamply would always say, "Let's go back to the way I CALLED IT", with Larry Merchant and (whoever else tended the broadcast.) I never thought about that again until this post, but Jim's comment "the way I called it" does imply a level of aggrogence or concietedness that we have been discussing in this thread.

But speaking of arrogance, Teddy Atlas is much top conceited He's worse than anybody at HBO, is an opinionated SOB who thinks his shit doesn't stink, and thinks like he knows everything. He's very over-rated and is not this boxing czar that he claims to be. The only defense that I will give Teddy is that as pompous as he is, his beliefs are very genuine. Teddy will NEVER be a team player, and would literally come to blows with anyone at HBO, who want the public in a "Yes Men, We can all get along mentality." Jim and Larry have their own arrogance and agenda's, but do it in more group think ways. Teddy could beat somebody up if arguing got bad enough and would be shown the door. I know he once punched a cameraman at ESPN.

Teddy and Max at ESPN back in the Friday Night Fight days, just would not STFU!. Teddy talks too much now as it is.

Jack

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 27 2013, 07:26 PM
Post #104

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Mar 26 2013, 11:09 PM) *
I have detested Jim ever since he divorced Bree Walker. She made that asshole and the moment he got on top he left her. The question is who would they get to replace him with? They could try to yank Teddy Atlas from ESPN but Teddy would tell Max to shut the fuck up ( rightly so) and then we would have issues. I honestly feel that Jim has started to believe his own shit. He is a disgruntle asshole. He has lost his zest and his boxing show sucks. He is losing ground and to be honest I can not wait for the day he leaves. I use to be a Cowboy fan but until they get rid of that fucking choke artist of a QB I will never cheer for Dallas. This is how I feel about HBO until they get fans of the sport to announce these fights I am riding with Showtime!

i try to tune him out when i watch hbo...it's really hard to do it though.

showtime has been the shit for a while and their commentary team is tight minus the wrestling dude. he's annoying. i miss tarver and gus johnson but malignaggi is an excellent replacement. so is trout.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 27 2013, 07:27 PM
Post #105

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 26 2013, 11:28 PM) *
I know a guy where a comment of Jim's pissed him off to no end!

It was the week after HBO did a PPV fight, showing the tape delay on "Regular HBO." Lamply would always say, "Let's go back to the way I CALLED IT", with Larry Merchant and (whoever else tended the broadcast.) I never thought about that again until this post, but Jim's comment "the way I called it" does imply a level of aggrogence or concietedness that we have been discussing in this thread.

But speaking of arrogance, Teddy Atlas is much top conceited He's worse than anybody at HBO, is an opinionated SOB who thinks his shit doesn't stink, and thinks like he knows everything. He's very over-rated and is not this boxing czar that he claims to be. The only defense that I will give Teddy is that as pompous as he is, his beliefs are very genuine. Teddy will NEVER be a team player, and would literally come to blows with anyone at HBO, who want the public in a "Yes Men, We can all get along mentality." Jim and Larry have their own arrogance and agenda's, but do it in more group think ways. Teddy could beat somebody up if arguing got bad enough and would be shown the door. I know he once punched a cameraman at ESPN.

Teddy and Max at ESPN back in the Friday Night Fight days, just would not STFU!. Teddy talks too much now as it is.

Jack

teddy can be annoying...but the thing that separates him imo is that he actually educates the viewers. lampley and max mis-educate them.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Mar 29 2013, 12:56 AM
Post #106

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

HBO Commentary Agendas

I echo the sentiments of what has been expressed around the Internet boxing community. HBO, once the boxing leader in sports boxing broadcasts has for the last several years pushed an agenda to “Build Stars Against C-grade competition” instead of working to produce the most exciting, or often two-sided matches.

For the past decade, if not more, HBO’s Jim Lamply has formed a love-affair with certain fighters on the network. Roy Jones, Oscar Delahoya, Arturo Gatti, and recently, until losing to Juan Marquez by shocking KO in their four fights, Manny Pacquiao. In addition to this, Larry Merchant also offered the same love-affair relationship with the same fighters. Max Kellerman, is also now part of this agenda. Punch-stats statistics have been proven to be mostly inaccurate. When an HBO fighter is on the stage, Jim Lamply is always there with the pom-poms to try to force his belief system in terms of how the fight is going. In Bradley-Pacquiao, a bad decision win for Bradley, but no where near the lopsided fight that Jim Lamply paraded it to be, there was times during the fight that Bradley would box well throwing nice combinations and doing some good work in rounds. Lamply and the crew would say nothing. However, when Manny even attempted to throw a punch, Jim Lamply would be screaming with excitement, often over punches that didn’t even land.

Punch Stat and HBO’s inherent favorable bias for the fighters in their network also in recent years shows the commentary, both Lamply and Larry Merchant have a dislike for slick scientific boxers on their network. Floyd Mayweather left HBO we believe because he felt he was not getting the proper respect from the network. The series of Gatti-Ward fights, the first fight being outstanding, but the next two fights WAY over hyped by Jim Lamply, Larry Merchant and crew created an illusion that became more and more real over the last decade. HBO caters to sluggers over boxers for the fights on their network.

My take is that this is not necessarily a bad thing, but is a ratings grabber for the shorter attention spans of today’s generation. They want brawls. They want all fights to be “Rocky Movies.” If they aren’t Rocky movies, today’s “I want to be entertained now!” generation, falls back on Mixed Martial Arts. The respect for The Sweet Science is nowhere near what it was in the past.

Jack

+Quote Post
VJones
post Mar 29 2013, 02:06 AM
Post #107

Flyweight

Member No.: 13,614

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 27 2013, 07:27 PM) *
teddy can be annoying...but the thing that separates him imo is that he actually educates the viewers. lampley and max mis-educate them.

Agreed, Prof! Sometimes I'm like...okay Teddy, we get it...but he's the only one I trust to give us what he whole-heartedly believes to be the truth. And he definitely brings a love and plethora of knowledge about The Sweet Science.

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 29 2013, 12:56 AM) *
HBO Commentary Agendas

I echo the sentiments of what has been expressed around the Internet boxing community. HBO, once the boxing leader in sports boxing broadcasts has for the last several years pushed an agenda to “Build Stars Against C-grade competition” instead of working to produce the most exciting, or often two-sided matches.

For the past decade, if not more, HBO’s Jim Lamply has formed a love-affair with certain fighters on the network. Roy Jones, Oscar Delahoya, Arturo Gatti, and recently, until losing to Juan Marquez by shocking KO in their four fights, Manny Pacquiao. In addition to this, Larry Merchant also offered the same love-affair relationship with the same fighters. Max Kellerman, is also now part of this agenda. Punch-stats statistics have been proven to be mostly inaccurate. When an HBO fighter is on the stage, Jim Lamply is always there with the pom-poms to try to force his belief system in terms of how the fight is going. In Bradley-Pacquiao, a bad decision win for Bradley, but no where near the lopsided fight that Jim Lamply paraded it to be, there was times during the fight that Bradley would box well throwing nice combinations and doing some good work in rounds. Lamply and the crew would say nothing. However, when Manny even attempted to throw a punch, Jim Lamply would be screaming with excitement, often over punches that didn’t even land.

Punch Stat and HBO’s inherent favorable bias for the fighters in their network also in recent years shows the commentary, both Lamply and Larry Merchant have a dislike for slick scientific boxers on their network. Floyd Mayweather left HBO we believe because he felt he was not getting the proper respect from the network. The series of Gatti-Ward fights, the first fight being outstanding, but the next two fights WAY over hyped by Jim Lamply, Larry Merchant and crew created an illusion that became more and more real over the last decade. HBO caters to sluggers over boxers for the fights on their network.

My take is that this is not necessarily a bad thing, but is a ratings grabber for the shorter attention spans of today’s generation. They want brawls. They want all fights to be “Rocky Movies.” If they aren’t Rocky movies, today’s “I want to be entertained now!” generation, falls back on Mixed Martial Arts. The respect for The Sweet Science is nowhere near what it was in the past.

Jack

Great stuff, Jack!

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Mar 29 2013, 02:11 PM
Post #108

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

HBO Commentary Agendas

For the past decade, if not more, HBO’s Jim Lamply has formed a love-affair with certain fighters on the network. Roy Jones, Oscar Delahoya, Arturo Gatti, and recently, until losing to Juan Marquez by shocking KO in their four fights, Manny Pacquiao. In addition to this, Larry Merchant also offered the same love-affair relationship with the same fighters. Max Kellerman, is also now part of this agenda. Punch-stats statistics have been proven to be mostly inaccurate. When an HBO fighter is on the stage, Jim Lamply is always there with the pom-"to try to force his belief system in terms of how the fight is going. In Bradley-Pacquiao, a bad decision win for Bradley, but no where near the lopsided fight that Jim Lamply paraded it to be, there was times during the fight that Bradley would box well throwing nice combinations and doing some good work in rounds. Lamply and the crew would say nothing. However, when Manny even attempted to throw a punch, Jim Lamply would be screaming with excitement, often over punches that didn’t even land.

Jack

+1 and then some!! Especially the last part about this fast food generation we live in today. Like I said; "HBO hates technical fighters like Hopkins and Mayweather, my suspicion is that this will not change as they have obviously forced TB into being a Caveman type fighter like Gatti, Margo, Alvarado and Rios who simply come forward and throw punches.

I hope that fighters on their network finally figure out that this type of fighting kills any thought of longevity in this sport before it's too late.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 29 2013, 02:23 PM
Post #109

Cruiserweight

HBO Commentary Agendas

Jack

i totally disagree. it's a very bad thing. forget the ratings....it's an attempt to compromise our sport!!! i never particularly cared for the rocky series because they are a caricature of what boxing truly is!!! today's generation is fucked because of their lack of focus/short attention spans. boxing should not compromise itself to appease some idiots. let them have mma.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 29 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #110

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (VJones @ Mar 29 2013, 02:06 AM) *
Agreed, Prof! Sometimes I'm like...okay Teddy, we get it...but he's the only one I trust to give us what he whole-heartedly believes to be the truth. And he definitely brings a love and plethora of knowledge about The Sweet Science.

i was watching a great documentary on cus d'amato and teddy atlas last night. it was great and reminder that guys like teddy and cus are rare these days.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 11:49 AM