IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> is bob arum racist or imcompetent..., when it comes to promoting black fighters?
daprofessor
post Apr 15 2013, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

he's had some great black fighters over the years....but ali was a finished product that didn't need much marketing. same can be said for leonard. he guided floyd early in his career but imo did not promote floyd as well as he could have or half as much as he promoted dlh or pacquiao. is he just not in touch? or does he just not care? rigondeaux has displayed exceptional skill like we haven't seen in quite some time. this guy has some amazing accomplishments on his resume.

world unified champion in just 10 pro fights
2 time gold medalist
2 time pan am gold medalist
2 time world cup champion

had almost 400 fights as an amateur with only 12 losses and hasn't been defeated in 10yrs.

he just beat the fighter of the year '12 very convincingly and he's going to be a hard sell??? is arum serious? the opposition is out there for rigondeaux to stake his claim at greatness. we have an opportunity to see another truly great fighter accomplish great things.

fights i'd like to see that are very doable.

mares
moreno
agbeko
nishioka
darchinyan
wv2

if he should move up...
gary russell
mickey garcia

those are just off the top of my head. in my mind....we just saw a megafight. the two very best in the division and rigondeaux proved he was a level above the fighter of the year. so now he has to suffer because arum is either incompetent or racist? bullshit!!! push this guy!!! don't punish him for his greatness. give the fans what they deserve and stop with the bullshit agendas.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jovi
post Apr 15 2013, 03:24 PM
Post #2

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Rigondeaux/Moreno was a fight i was thinking of last night that i think would be awesome. Honestly i don't want to see him against any of Nonito's leftovers, I haven't heard from them after they lost to Nonito. Unless it was all 4 of the opponents he had last year in one night, haha like Rigondeaux said he could do before. No doubt that he can't either.

..Anyways, i dont wanna name call but Racist is a good word to describe Arum. All the fighters that he has been hyping up lately have been light skinned. To his credit its not like he has any good White fighters he can hype up. but i once heard a quote from the Elite group that they would rather die than call a Negro their brother. That's cold, but its all i think of.

Tried to take away Rigondeaux's shine after the win. He did the same thing to Bradley too, his win wasn't as clear but if your own Promoter was against your win that's just a kick in the nuts. Lol has anyone heard anything from Clottey after the Pacquiao fight?

I hope new fighters don't sign to top Rank, they should just look at the most famous fighters in Top rank as an example of how they DON'T want their career to be. compare that to the fighters who left.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 15 2013, 03:31 PM
Post #3

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jovi @ Apr 15 2013, 03:24 PM) *
Rigondeaux/Moreno was a fight i was thinking of last night that i think would be awesome. Honestly i don't want to see him against any of Nonito's leftovers, I haven't heard from them after they lost to Nonito. Unless it was all 4 of the opponents he had last year in one night, haha like Rigondeaux said he could do before. No doubt that he can't either.

..Anyways, i dont wanna name call but Racist is a good word to describe Arum. All the fighters that he has been hyping up lately have been light skinned. To his credit its not like he has any good White fighters he can hype up. but i once heard a quote from the Elite group that they would rather die than call a Negro their brother. That's cold, but its all i think of.

Tried to take away Rigondeaux's shine after the win. He did the same thing to Bradley too, his win wasn't as clear but if your own Promoter was against your win that's just a kick in the nuts. Lol has anyone heard anything from Clottey after the Pacquiao fight?

I hope new fighters don't sign to top Rank, they should just look at the most famous fighters in Top rank as an example of how they DON'T want their career to be. compare that to the fighters who left.

i hate to call him a racist...but the pattern is there. he had the peterson brothers, anthony 'the messenger' thompson, zahir raheem, clottey...bradley is still going...but it seems evident.

as for rigondeaux facing all 4 of last years opponents...i hear u. i think wv2 still has something. nishioka may be a waste...but darchinyan just beat that undefeated p.r. kid.

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Apr 15 2013, 03:37 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Arum probably is a racist, but I think his failure to promote black fighters is based on the color green. There is a huge market for Latino's, Pinnoys and the great White hope. The NFL and NBA have black sports demographics on lockdown. Its that simple.

I think some of the things he said after the fight about Rigondeaux were disgusting. Thats like breach of contract type stuff. Arum was honest, but he should have lied his ass off. The promoter is also in the business of marketing the guy and selling fights. He did Rigo no favors after the fight.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 15 2013, 03:56 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 15 2013, 03:37 PM) *
Arum probably is a racist, but I think his failure to promote black fighters is based on the color green. There is a huge market for Latino's, Pinnoys and the great White hope. The NFL and NBA have black sports demographics on lockdown. Its that simple.

I think some of the things he said after the fight about Rigondeaux were disgusting. Thats like breach of contract type stuff. Arum was honest, but he should have lied his ass off. The promoter is also in the business of marketing the guy and selling fights. He did Rigo no favors after the fight.

i think it's based on the color black...but i'll agree to disagree.

rigondeaux has the power to end a fight with either hand. there are plenty of come forward fighters out there to match him against and he will shine. arum made it a point to match pacquiao up with mexican after mexican because their styles were perfect for pacquiao. do u think he will do the same for rigondeaux? i don't. i gave the list of available opposition. it's really not hard for any of those fights to be made. the question is...will bob make them? or will he punish rigondeaux for beating his next filipino star?

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Apr 15 2013, 03:57 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Apr 15 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

I don't get Arum, isn't he rich enough yet?

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 15 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #7

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Bob's an old senile douche, and has no problem showing it.

Does he have enough somewhat golden goose to match Rigondeaux up against? If so, then he'd better step carefully, or end up ruining it like he Juanma/Gamboa. Somebody asked a while, why in the hell hasn't Bob had all of Rigondeaux's fights in FL?

Aside from the PPVs that he was on, his fights should've been in FL to reach out to the Cuban fan base, if there is a Cuban boxing fan base in FL. I guess it's easier said than done, and apparently Bob knows something that we don't about marketing Rigo in FL. Maybe taxes has a lot to do with it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 15 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #8

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 15 2013, 04:24 PM) *
Bob's an old senile douche, and has no problem showing it.

Does he have enough somewhat golden goose to match Rigondeaux up against? If so, then he'd better step carefully, or end up ruining it like he Juanma/Gamboa. Somebody asked a while, why in the hell hasn't Bob had all of Rigondeaux's fights in FL?

Aside from the PPVs that he was on, his fights should've been in FL to reach out to the Cuban fan base, if there is a Cuban boxing fan base in FL. I guess it's easier said than done, and apparently Bob knows something that we don't about marketing Rigo in FL. Maybe taxes has a lot to do with it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

that would be a step in the right direction. the other step is to keep him out east because they seem to appreciate skillful boxing moreso than out west. stack the undercards right...put in front of opposition that will bring out the best in him...and he'll shine. this guys time is limited. i think he's the rare fighter that shines with real challenges ala floyd. there's no reason this guy shouldn't be headlining his own shows from here on out.

the win against donaire was HUGE!!! he didn't just narrowly beat him, he schooled donaire who is supposed to be a p4p fighter. that's not exactly on the level with what marquez did to pac...but it's up there.

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Apr 15 2013, 04:30 PM

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Apr 15 2013, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

I call it as I see it; if the wheel is round then it is what it is and Bob Arum has done an exceptional job of not promoting his black fighters in the same manner in which he celebrates his mexican and filipino fighters.

Bob Arum is a the biggest racist Jewish person in boxing!!

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Apr 15 2013, 05:24 PM
Post #10

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Apr 15 2013, 03:37 PM) *

Arum has been showing positive racial bias to the Mexican, Hispanic, and Latin American and Latino fighter populations for years. He plays off of that because it makes money for him. Yes, I think Bob has some issues with racism toward African-American fighters. Even those that make money. HUGE Money. Bob Arum despises Floyd Mayweather and his management team with passionate hatred. This began years ago when Floyd was fighting on regular HBO and Floyd compared the money he was making from Arum to a slave wages contract. There are other fighters who have strong Mexican, Latin American, Latino base who have also severed ties with Arum. Delahoya for example.

Now Bob is saying things like, "Fans aren't stupid they want to see action, not some star fight tomato cans once every six months, but two-sided fights." Maybe so. However, Arum never said anything like that when he would for years promote PPV's with his stars against mediocre competition. It really boils down to a distrust from Arum no matter what. In his own words, "Yesterday I was lying, today I am telling the truth."

Does Arum really create a racial issue with African-American versus Mexican fighters? Or is he negatively prejudiced to the style of the pure boxer, regardless of race, if he feels that said fighter does not make money for him. Examples would be Tim Bradley and now Rigondeax. Bob, maybe even subconsciously has been very disrespectful to their accomplishments, UNTIL Tim had that war with Ruslan. It stands to reason now, is Ringo going to be forced to have a war to gain Bob's respect? And if he doesn't have a war, will Bob throw him under the bus because he's a "boring boxer?"

Jack

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 11:18 AM