Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Comparing careers 1, Judah-Spinks, DLH-Mosley, Cotto-Vargas, Hamed-Hatton
Big Slim Sweet
post Aug 31 2011, 10:44 AM
Post #31

Bourbon County Stout

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,759

I've got Mosley over Oscar pretty clearly, and have elaborated on it in the past. Just tougher, willing to take on any and all without manipulating the situation. In late 2008 when Margarito was considered a welterweight killer and Pacquiao was considered a lightweight bunny, Shane targeted the killer and Oscar tried petting the bunny.

They both fought (and lost to) great competition. Oscar fought Tito and Hopkins, but used a catchweight to fight for Hop's title, and I've always had my suspicions about the legitimacy of that fight anyway. Shane fought Forrest and Winky twice each, going for immediate rematches despite his obvious physical disadvantages in those matchups.

Oscar was stopped twice. Shane stopped never. I like Shane's career better. I think it's hard for a lot of people not to give Oscar extra credit for his celebrity, but this is about what they did in the ring.

As for the other matchups:

Spinks over Judah. Barely, in a mostly who cares attraction.
Cotto over Vargas, though it's tough to not think about what Fernando's career could have been if he hadn't been thrown to the wolves so soon.
Hamed over Hatton. He was more skilled. Hatton has that one big win over Tszyu, but it was so tainted. Both men lost to the very best in humiliating fashion.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Aug 31 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #32

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Aug 29 2011, 01:06 PM) *
Sorry but I don't buy that "the W's and L's don't tell the whole story" crap. However, since you went there; DLH, while in his physical prime, shamelessly RAN from Trinidad in the last third of their fight. Meanwhile, Shane would go on to face all of the fighters DLH ducked - like Forrest, Wright, and Margarito.

At the end of the day, DLHs best win is his KO over juiced up Felix Trinidad victim Fernando Vargas. That doesn't beat out Shane's best work...

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 31 2011, 08:44 AM) *
I've got Mosley over Oscar pretty clearly, and have elaborated on it in the past. Just tougher, willing to take on any and all without manipulating the situation. In late 2008 when Margarito was considered a welterweight killer and Pacquiao was considered a lightweight bunny, Shane targeted the killer and Oscar tried petting the bunny.

They both fought (and lost to) great competition. Oscar fought Tito and Hopkins, but used a catchweight to fight for Hop's title, and I've always had my suspicions about the legitimacy of that fight anyway. Shane fought Forrest and Winky twice each, going for immediate rematches despite his obvious physical disadvantages in those matchups.

Oscar was stopped twice. Shane stopped never. I like Shane's career better. I think it's hard for a lot of people not to give Oscar extra credit for his celebrity, but this is about what they did in the ring.

As for the other matchups:

Spinks over Judah. Barely, in a mostly who cares attraction.
Cotto over Vargas, though it's tough to not think about what Fernando's career could have been if he hadn't been thrown to the wolves so soon.
Hamed over Hatton. He was more skilled. Hatton has that one big win over Tszyu, but it was so tainted. Both men lost to the very best in humiliating fashion.

Speaking of "juiced up," shouldn't that play into the comparison?

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Sep 1 2011, 12:26 AM
Post #33

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 333

Yep, Shane went and fought Wink and Forrest.

DLH went and fought Whitaker, Tito, Quartey before moving up to fight BHOP and Sturm. No matter what way you try and spin doctor it, Oscar didn't take easy fights.

+Quote Post
Big Slim Sweet
post Sep 1 2011, 12:53 AM
Post #34

Bourbon County Stout

Member No.: 1,759

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Aug 31 2011, 10:03 PM) *
Speaking of "juiced up," shouldn't that play into the comparison?

I take the juice into consideration and still give Sugar Shane the edge over the course of his career.

+Quote Post
Nay_Sayer
post Sep 1 2011, 01:33 AM
Post #35

Welterweight

Member No.: 2,078

QUOTE (and the NEW @ Sep 1 2011, 12:26 AM) *
No matter what way you try and spin doctor it, Oscar didn't take easy fights.

Gatti?
Coley?
Chavez rematch?
Forbes?
Camacho?
Campas?

+Quote Post
sduck
post Sep 1 2011, 03:32 AM
Post #36

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Both Oscar and Shane took some hard fights. But I think in comparison, Mosley's career is a bit more impressive. I mean just for the fact he beat Oscar twice "on record" is enough to give it to Mosley.

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Aug 27 2011, 07:07 PM) *
I can't argue anyone putting Cotto before Vargas, as I said it was a toss-up for me, but the bolded part I take a little issue with. I'm not sure anyone on Cotto's resume of fighters faced reads like Trinidad, Wright, De la Hoya and Quartey. All pretty much prime versions of themselves as well.

I don't know maybe I'm missing something here but I think that foursome is way better than anything Cotto faced which was a prime Pac and a slightly past his peak Molsey.

I kinda agree, but I was just saying that Cotto fought more fighters, not overall better. Vargas' only impressive victory was against Winky Wright. Vargas fought Quartey when Quartey was coming right off a loss to De La Hoya. Vargas also lost twice in a row to Mosley by KO, only a year before Cotto beat Mosley.

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Sep 1 2011, 07:32 AM
Post #37

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Big Slim Sweet @ Aug 31 2011, 10:53 PM) *
I take the juice into consideration and still give Sugar Shane the edge over the course of his career.

I take the fact he was juiced for a portion of his career and that evolved into a huge black vulva at the end to edge it for ODLH.

At least ODLH wore the fishnets and spikes outside the ring.

This post has been edited by SmartyBeardo: Sep 1 2011, 08:14 AM

+Quote Post
and the NEW
post Sep 2 2011, 12:32 AM
Post #38

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 333

QUOTE (Nay_Sayer @ Sep 1 2011, 06:33 AM) *
Gatti?
Coley?
Chavez rematch?
Forbes?
Camacho?
Campas?

Stone, Taylor, Marquez........

We are contrasting careers here right? Hence whilst Mosleys best names he faced that DLH did not were Wink and Forrest, foes DLH faced that Mosley did not were Whitaker, Quartey, Tito (the last two were brutalising the division when DLH arrived), Sturm (yes still hanging around at the top at middle) and BHOP. I wouldn't say DLH faced lesser opposition. Infact, I would say that is superior right there and by quite some ways! Forrest other than Mosley, didn't beat a soul, he hit hard, but had ordinary generalship when pressured and a very sloppy jab. He can't even compare to a prime Tito. Wink on the other hand, doesn't compare to BHOP.

This post has been edited by and the NEW: Sep 2 2011, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 06:03 AM