Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tszyu vs. Pacquiao, Prime vs. Prime at 140
Rivado
post Mar 31 2010, 11:20 PM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 455

I can only imagine the ferocity of the exchanges in this one, an instant classic, IMO.

I have Pacquiao by late stoppage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Apr 1 2010, 03:59 AM
Post #2

Guests

Haha, you funny bastard. I was thinking about this fight about 2 hours ago on the way back home.

I think this is a very interesting fight. I like the fact that there best punch is the same punch, only difference is that Pacquiao's a southpaw, so Pacquiao's straight is his left, and Tszyu's was his right.
They are both very deadly punches in different ways. Pacquiao's is deadly with power and speed. Tszyu's creates his with thudding power and timing. I think this fight is also pretty intriguing that Pacquiao could have a style that works for and against Tszyu.
I think Tszyu dealt with southpaws very well, and speed was not usually an issue for him. He was very good at adjusting to speed and after a few feel out rounds, he he learns to deal with speed and that is when his timing comes in. Tszyu was also a very strong fighter as well, so I think Tszyu's best chance is to gain dominance early, if not it will become more difficult for him.
The thing working against Tszyu is that he struggled with guys that presented pressure, he needs room to fight as that is where his timing plays a big factor. The timing can be eliminated with pressure and not giving time or room to let go of that straight right of his and is what happened with Hatton.
I think if they fight 10 times, Tszyu wins some of them, but I think Pacquaio would win the majority.

The way I see it is, that Tszyu needs to win early, or at least gain dominance early and not give that up. If Tszyu starts slow, and lets Pacquaio into the fight even a little, it will be like a wave. Pacquiao will just keep coming and end up with the win.

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Apr 1 2010, 04:03 AM
Post #3

Guests

Pac is coming into Tszyu’s territory at 140 who is considered one of the greatest in that division which Pac lacks in the experience department there.

Kostya has shown that, speed does not bother him & has shown he can really have his way with lefties in the past.

Pac has always squared up & leaves openings when opening up which works for a fighters as accurate as Tszyu who could also counter.

Both a very powerful fighters who throw straight punches down the middle with 1-2’s but I believe Tszyu has the heavier hands & composure to their attack.

I believe Kostya Tszyu also has the edge in ring IQ which normally gets overlooked when speaking of his ‘boxing’ ability. Pac has shown he can be beat when ‘boxed’ against Morales & Marquez and was also troubled when Cotto & even Barerra displayed this in much smaller portions of their fights.

This would not be like fighting an old shot DLH or drained/in need of service Miguel. Pac has been beat & hurt by smaller fighters than Tszyu who also don't have the physical strength Tszyu posses. Kostya has a great chin, shown a lot of patience, nice jab, timing, power & most importantly style to stop Pac in a very short explosive fight!

+Quote Post
BigG
post Apr 1 2010, 04:14 AM
Post #4

Choppin Headz Boi!

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 19

I think Pac stops Tszyu between 6-8 rounds in a one-sided fight..

+Quote Post
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Apr 1 2010, 04:24 AM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE (Fitz @ Apr 1 2010, 09:59 AM) *
Haha, you funny bastard. I was thinking about this fight about 2 hours ago on the way back home.

I think this is a very interesting fight. I like the fact that there best punch is the same punch, only difference is that Pacquiao's a southpaw, so Pacquiao's straight is his left, and Tszyu's was his right.
They are both very deadly punches in different ways. Pacquiao's is deadly with power and speed. Tszyu's creates his with thudding power and timing. I think this fight is also pretty intriguing that Pacquiao could have a style that works for and against Tszyu.
I think Tszyu dealt with southpaws very well, and speed was not usually an issue for him. He was very good at adjusting to speed and after a few feel out rounds, he he learns to deal with speed and that is when his timing comes in. Tszyu was also a very strong fighter as well, so I think Tszyu's best chance is to gain dominance early, if not it will become more difficult for him.
The thing working against Tszyu is that he struggled with guys that presented pressure, he needs room to fight as that is where his timing plays a big factor. The timing can be eliminated with pressure and not giving time or room to let go of that straight right of his and is what happened with Hatton.
I think if they fight 10 times, Tszyu wins some of them, but I think Pacquaio would win the majority.

The way I see it is, that Tszyu needs to win early, or at least gain dominance early and not give that up. If Tszyu starts slow, and lets Pacquaio into the fight even a little, it will be like a wave. Pacquiao will just keep coming and end up with the win.

Agree with a lot of what you said as I put into consideration the same factors for both fighters, except for your outcome.

I'm aware Tszyu had trouble with pressure but in regards to the Phillips fight Tszyu had progressed after that fight where he later reached his best.

Against Hatton it was a combination of Tszyu getting older, being very inactive, coming off surgery & appearing very flat that night, his timing was way off..he just wasn’t at his best that night. Of course the fresher undefeated Hatton’s pressure only added to those problems along with the poor referring.

Pac does not bring all the roughness, holding, wrestling & dirtiness that Hatton brought to the table which troubled Tszyu. I also think because of those reasons, Hatton actually has & uses more physical strength than Pac.

Although I believe Tszyu was capable of making short work of Manny I however don’t think it’s a walk in the park for Kostya either. I just think Kostya’s chin, timing, power & style are some things he had that would overcome the Pac storm!

+Quote Post
PR316
post Apr 1 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

Similar to the Cotto fight, I think. Tszyu will be competitive early, but will eventually get overwhelmed by the speed and power.

Pacquiao via 10th round KO.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Apr 1 2010, 09:58 AM
Post #7

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

Tszyu at his best is at least 5 times better than Cotto at his best...and that's no knock on Cotto at all.

Timing beats Speed...Tszyu was said to have the punch of a full Middle...Pacquiao's defense would get exploited by the superior boxer....

I say KT knocks Packy out the first time he hits him with his best right hand...within 6 rounds.

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Apr 1 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #8

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (The CEO @ Apr 1 2010, 02:58 PM) *
Tszyu at his best is at least 5 times better than Cotto at his best...and that's no knock on Cotto at all.

Timing beats Speed...Tszyu was said to have the punch of a full Middle...Pacquiao's defense would get exploited by the superior boxer....

I say KT knocks Packy out the first time he hits him with his best right hand...within 6 rounds.

I agree with this assesment. Tszyu had the timing & power to change Pac's life & make every Pinoy cry.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Apr 1 2010, 08:36 PM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

As much as I would love to see Pacquiao* lay motionless on the canvas with his mouthpiece laying right beside him... I just don't see it in this fight. I think this new version of Pacquiao* stops Tszyu in 9 rounds.

* indicates fighter could be under the influence of performance enhancement

This post has been edited by StyleZ: Apr 1 2010, 08:38 PM

+Quote Post
Rivado
post Apr 1 2010, 08:42 PM
Post #10

Middleweight

Member No.: 455

Luvin the feedback for sure. After given it some thought and reviewing some Tszyu footage I have to say that Kostya is one heavy handed mf, one with speed and throws accurate punches and rarely misses a target. Pac is more of a volume puncher with power but may leave himself open a bit more than desired playing right into KT's style of fight.

Tough call. Great great fight.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 10:14 PM