> Boxers Mayweather has ducked, Boxers mayweather is scared to fight
ROLL DEEP
post Oct 6 2010, 03:08 AM
Post #171

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE (Snoop @ Oct 6 2010, 01:11 AM) *
I don't feel that Mayweather ducked anyone, but it somehow didn't result in a GOAT resume either.

That's pretty much it for me, too.

He may have ducked fighters, he may have not. He may have taken fights for money, he may have taken tune-ups, he may have genuinely thought he was doing was the right thing, but.....

Which ever way you slice it, his resume IS NOT the resume of the GOAT. Period.

Is it his fault? Other fighters? Promotors? WHo knows. All that matters is that when it's said and done, Floyd will be remembered as a superb fighter, one of the best of the generation with supreme skills and fitness, but with a BIG '?' over his record.

This post has been edited by ROLL DEEP: Oct 6 2010, 03:10 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Oct 6 2010, 09:24 AM
Post #172

Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,633

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 6 2010, 01:08 AM) *
Zab WAS the man at welterweight(briefly), after he lost to Spinks, he no longer was the man. He lost in January 2006 to Baldy, and 3 months later he gets a shot at the P4P king!!! I do not care how anyone tries to justify that fight, it's a farce. I would have 1000 times rather PBF fought Margarito or anyone else decently rated at that time.

Speaking of questionable resumes, here is Floyd's in the last 5 years.

2005- Past his prime blown up welterweight Sharmba Mitchell.
2006- Hey I just lost my previous fight Zab Judah.
2006- Baldomir...need I say more.
2007- Seen better days Oscar DeLa Hoya.
2007- Blown up jr. welterweight Ricky Hatton.
2009- Really blown up lightweight Juan Manuel Marquez
2010- Good win against Mosley, though not his best days(SSM), beautiful performance by Floyd regardless.

Regardless of all the BS in boxing, this is pretty shitty and hardly someone who claims himself to be the GOAT. There were better fights out there, and this is only 7 fights in 5 years.

Defend that.

The defense of that is that PBF (flawed as he is) runs his own show, makes his own decisions, and must live with it. I respect him for that. I question many of his life decisions, but he is human and it is his life. When you look at the work in progress, if you are a fair person, it is pretty damned impressive.

It might not be what you would want the man to do. He may not have reached his potential. But, bottom line, there is no logical argument against PBF being the best boxer of this era.

Could he have been more active? Of course. Could he have pushed himself with greater challenges? Certainly. But don't even think about trying to put any other boxer ahead of him in this era. You are fooling yourself like a Teabagger on Social Security and Medicare.

I said it prior to the Mosley fight that I would rate the winner P4P #1. I stand behind that choice.

It won't last much longer if he doesn't get off his ass, though.

All of that said, one of the casualties of his poor choices is any possibility of being seriously considered GOAT.

+Quote Post
Snoop
post Oct 6 2010, 10:00 AM
Post #173

Heavyweight

Member No.: 87

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 6 2010, 07:46 AM) *
For what it's worth I do enjoy these debates, FightHype is our version of a bunch of guys hanging round the barbers shop arguing about who was better. I hope some of you guys are around in 20 years. Then we'll really have this shit crackin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Fucken Fitz will be digging up threads from 17 years ago saying "do you remember when you said THIS?" LOL

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drinks.gif)

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Oct 6 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #174

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 6 2010, 03:46 AM) *
For what it's worth I do enjoy these debates, FightHype is our version of a bunch of guys hanging round the barbers shop arguing about who was better. I hope some of you guys are around in 20 years. Then we'll really have this shit crackin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Fucken Fitz will be digging up threads from 17 years ago saying "do you remember when you said THIS?" LOL

+Quote Post
The Ollie Reed F...
post Oct 7 2010, 04:38 AM
Post #175

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 7,287

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Oct 6 2010, 10:48 AM) *

That was just the scene I was thinking of. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
rusty_trombone
post Oct 7 2010, 10:55 AM
Post #176

Cerebral Ape

Member No.: 5,390

So, I haven't read any of these responses, and don't really care to. I will say, however, anyone that says Floyd "ducked" Margarito is a fucking idiot.

+Quote Post
Lil-lightsout
post Oct 8 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #177

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 3,047

QUOTE (The Ollie Reed Fan Club @ Oct 6 2010, 03:46 AM) *

Great lines man, totally agree. Thats what is awesome with this site, just about every single poster here is very knowledgable and I have NO ONE in person I can talk boxing to like the people here.

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Oct 8 2010, 06:47 AM
Post #178

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

QUOTE (Lil-lightsout @ Oct 8 2010, 01:01 AM) *
Great lines man, totally agree. Thats what is awesome with this site, just about every single poster here is very knowledgable and I have NO ONE in person I can talk boxing to like the people here.

Same here. I can talk about boxing to my brother and maybe like 1 other person.

I know on here, apart from a few posters (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) , I can have accurate reports on fighters' performances if I've missed fights, chat about old school fighters and check out random vid's in the genera diss forum, haha.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 16 17 18
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 11:24 AM