IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joe Louis vs Muhammad Ali(Cassius Clay era)...
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 9 2010, 02:23 AM
Post #11

The Savage

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 8 2010, 10:45 PM) *
I think the only way to beat a prime Louis is to use a pumping jab (ala Holmes) & constant lateral circling. Louis would only punch when in range & set so you have to keep him turning & not let him get in range or set. Could that be done for a full 15 rounds? It is hard to say & you would have to be aware & on the ball for every second of every round.

Walking through his punches to get your own off is a sure fire way to get hurt & hurt badly & if you fight in spurts you will get caught.

Louis is always set to punch through his footwork but the range thing is an issue..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 9 2010, 03:42 AM
Post #12

Chief Haterizer

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 91

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 9 2010, 05:23 PM) *
Louis is always set to punch through his footwork but the range thing is an issue..

Not when he was turning according to Eddie Futch who used to spar with him.

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 9 2010, 04:49 PM
Post #13

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

Conn's movement gave Louis some serious issues and Conn could only dream about moving like Ali. I think Conn would have won that fight if he didn't get overconfident, once he started trying to fight with Louis he started to find out why he's called the Brown Bomber. Clay, especially a Clay that fought Liston, could take Louis to the cards in a close fight. I think Louis could get the MD but Ali would definitely have a chance to take him to the cards and win on points.

+Quote Post
King Eugene
post Aug 10 2010, 05:23 AM
Post #14

Proud American

Member No.: 7,577

Louis didn't have the sturdiest of chins either. Its possible Ali could have won because he got extra points from a KD. Man its a whole lot of scenarios that could have played out in that fight.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Aug 15 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #15

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Ali's movement and jab sets up the straight right to Joe's shaky chin too often for mr barrow to see the distance.

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Aug 15 2010, 02:37 PM

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 15 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #16

The Savage

QUOTE (gravytrain @ Aug 9 2010, 04:49 PM) *
Conn's movement gave Louis some serious issues and Conn could only dream about moving like Ali. I think Conn would have won that fight if he didn't get overconfident, once he started trying to fight with Louis he started to find out why he's called the Brown Bomber. Clay, especially a Clay that fought Liston, could take Louis to the cards in a close fight. I think Louis could get the MD but Ali would definitely have a chance to take him to the cards and win on points.

I don't know about all that..Conn's movement is some of the best I've ever seen at heavyweight..His movement is up there with Ali..

Steve--Futch stopped sparring with Louis cause Louis started beating his ass too much once he got in enough work with Blackburn..Also,Louis would jab moving to his right or left..

+Quote Post
STEVENSKI
post Aug 16 2010, 07:26 AM
Post #17

Chief Haterizer

Member No.: 91

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 16 2010, 08:26 AM) *
Steve--Futch stopped sparring with Louis cause Louis started beating his ass too much once he got in enough work with Blackburn..Also,Louis would jab moving to his right or left..

Futch was a fucking lightweight Jon.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 16 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #18

The Savage

QUOTE (STEVENSKI @ Aug 16 2010, 07:26 AM) *
Futch was a fucking lightweight Jon.

I know..Louis liked sparring smaller guys so he'd be able to react to bigger guys punches better..Futch would get the better of him at first,than Louis got better through Blackburn and started whoopin Futch..

+Quote Post
gravytrain
post Aug 17 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #19

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 10,970

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 15 2010, 06:26 PM) *
I don't know about all that..Conn's movement is some of the best I've ever seen at heavyweight..His movement is up there with Ali..

The way Ali worked in the ring was centuries ahead of Conn. Conn's upper body was stationary, he didn't have the reflexes of Ali, and would often plant his feet and just stay in front of Louis. Ali could be coming in and out of range while slipping punches and getting off.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Aug 19 2010, 04:59 PM
Post #20

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

With what you described...Louis's style gets him annihilated by this ALI we are talking about... stopped with a barrage of viscious flurries after being dropped a few times by right hands as ALI is on the move

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Aug 19 2010, 05:01 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2014 - 03:47 PM