Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shogun vs The Dragon
AussieLad
post Oct 9 2009, 06:38 AM
Post #1

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

Alright folks, who have you got and how do you see it going down?

I've got the dragon. I think shoguns style plays into his hands well. Machidas conditioning is extremely good, and he should be able to handle shoguns pace and pressure, which i think is what shoguns going to try and do. And thats apply constant pressure.

Shoguns conditioning needs to be better than what we have seen of him in the ufc thus far, if he is going to stand a chance of successfully pulling this one off.

The difference in this fight is that shogun usually overwhelms opponents with this style and pace, whereas that is what everyone tries to do to machida. And so this will be another case of machida circling away, picking his spots and capitalizing on oppenings that shoguns aggression will create. Basically, this will be another day in the office for the karate kid.

Not so sure machida will stop shogun, but i expect to see a points landslide win. But who knows. I think machida has certainly settled into the octagon well, and he is becoming a more exciting fighter, finishing his fights with clinical precision like a surgeon. A stoppage wouldnt surprise me either, but for the sake of making a prediction i will stick with the points win.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mandirigma
post Oct 9 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #2

Amateur

Member No.: 10,548

i guess it really depends on shogun's chin.. if he could resists machida's power he could possibly win by decision

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Oct 9 2009, 07:03 AM
Post #3

Middleweight

Member No.: 603

Machida has never lost a round. He only gets hit on average every 2 or 3 minutes, which is an amazing display of defence. I can't see shogun pulling out a points win in this. He is going to need to take machida out.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Oct 9 2009, 08:49 AM
Post #4

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (Mandirigma @ Oct 9 2009, 06:57 AM) *
i guess it really depends on shogun's chin.. if he could resists machida's power he could possibly win by decision

Machida only has 5 KO's in his career, and nearly twice as many decisions; Shogun has never been KO'd, and never come close to being KO'd. I don't think Shogun's chin should be questioned here.

Stamina is the key.

Shogun must win by stoppage. He's given no indication that he can go late into fights in the UFC. Shogun will look good early, and has his best chance for victory within the first 2 rounds.

If Machida makes it out of those 1st two rounds, he has a very good chance of decisioning Rua. He won't submit him because he doesn't have the ability, and he won't KO him either. Better strikers than him have tried and failed. (That would be Alistair Overeem, in case anyone is wondering.)

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Oct 9 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #5

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

nobodies beating machida right now... no body....

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Oct 9 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #6

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

I usually pick the favorite in MMA matchups...but I'm gonna go with Rua here...

I think The Shogun of Pride will resurface, The Dragon will be off, and he will stretch him within 2 rounds...

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Oct 9 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #7

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (The CEO @ Oct 9 2009, 12:28 PM) *
I usually pick the favorite in MMA matchups...but I'm gonna go with Rua here...

I think The Shogun of Pride will resurface, The Dragon will be off, and he will stretch him within 2 rounds...

care to back up that statement on the ps3 ceo?....lol...

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Oct 9 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #8

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Oct 9 2009, 01:54 PM) *
care to back up that statement on the ps3 ceo?....lol...

against YOU?...anytime....

JBESHADY.

I ain't hard to find...Owning in Guitar Hero 5 right now...

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Oct 9 2009, 07:26 PM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (The CEO @ Oct 9 2009, 01:44 PM) *
against YOU?...anytime....

JBESHADY.

I ain't hard to find...Owning in Guitar Hero 5 right now...

lol.. i liked that jbeshady... lol...

got news for you tho... lil cuzz is down here from houston so if it gets too rough.. well, you know.... lol... jk...

This post has been edited by JLUVBABY: Oct 9 2009, 07:27 PM

+Quote Post
mdm514
post Oct 13 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #10

Amateur

Member No.: 10,584

I cannot believe some of you think Shogun has any shot. It is apparent to me that Dana set this match-up as a way to give the Dragon an easy first title defense. The dragon is the new wave of fighter, and the ufc can see that. Anyone noticed that almost all of the Pride transplants have basically sucked. UFC has much better talent than Pride ever did. Dragon has been trained since birth to fight and win, and lives a samurai lifestyle because fighting is all that matters in his world. Shogun had a good run in a lousy fight league, and his lack of conditioning shows how much he has lost his passion for this. Shogun does have an iron jaw, but so didn't Rashad. Dragon by stoppage in second round.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 04:22 AM