> A KO would be nice..., Floyd Mayweather
Cshel86
post May 22 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ May 22 2013, 01:29 PM) *
Good Point C, though I think he would've gotten some form of credit with Oscar being that, that was Floyd's first trip to that weight, but all n all, can't argue this.

Shit, I totally forgot the Oscar fight. A knockout would've done miracles for him, but then again, it would've totally wiped out all of this talk about him no truly being a Jr. MW and so on. His list of ducked opponents would've surely increased after that. I remember him talking about the Oscar fight being a massacre and so on...the world still awaits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (duwdu @ May 22 2013, 04:44 PM) *
I totally reason and agree with this ^^^.

Also, far from because he doesn't have many ko's to his credit, Mayweather is not ascribed by some the level of greatness he deserves, more because of his reputation and perceived personality outside of the squared ring. Boxing experts and scholars have emotions too.

P34c3

I concur. I was hoping that you would disagree with me a bit, so we could make this a bigger discussion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) You've disagreed with me before and it made for a cool discussion, especially since you know your stuff!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
duwdu
post May 22 2013, 04:39 PM
Post #12

Super Flyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,536

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 22 2013, 05:02 PM) *
Shit, I totally forgot the Oscar fight. A knockout would've done miracles for him, but then again, it would've totally wiped out all of this talk about him no truly being a Jr. MW and so on. His list of ducked opponents would've surely increased after that. I remember him talking about the Oscar fight being a massacre and so on...the world still awaits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I concur. I was hoping that you would disagree with me a bit, so we could make this a bigger discussion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) You've disagreed with me before and it made for a cool discussion, especially since you know your stuff!

I appreciate your kind words, Cshel. The fact is that you don't shy away from making your points, and a vast majority of them I consider sound, as with other posters on here, and so I don't comment on those if I don't think I can add value.

Plus, wait for this - you do present a lot of entertainment, such as when you were putting it on Allmenjoi8! LOL.

Will she ever come back? Or did I miss a comeback? I wonder. :-)

P34c3

This post has been edited by duwdu: May 22 2013, 05:06 PM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 22 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #13

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

On the other hand KOing someone whose never been stopped before by big punchers is a statement, eg Matthysee vs Peterson. So maybe if Floyd stopped Mosley, and Guererro and Marquez, he'd be the guy to stop them. Because when Hatton was stopped by him, and then destroyed by Pac, Pac is never given any credit because Floyd beat him to the punch...

+Quote Post
Franchize
post May 23 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #14

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I personally think he took his foot off the gas on purpose in the Marquez fight. I think he wanted to get some rounds in and I think he also has a lot of respect for Marquez. I always hear him talk about Marquez with a lot of respect. I think with Shane, he was trying to embarrass him after that 2nd round mishap. I think, if any fight I felt disappointed there was no knock out, it would be that. He was lightin Shane up with some shots in the latter rounds. Shane has a sturdy beard though.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post May 23 2013, 07:59 PM
Post #15

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ May 22 2013, 01:09 PM) *
I think the way he's been finishing fights is fine, seriously. Can you imagine how much ridicule he'd receive if he knocked all of those guys out? If he had knocked any of these guys, I think he would've received the most credit for stopping Mosley, since we've yet to see that happen.

Other than that, he'd really appear to be the "cherry picker" that most perceive him to be. I'm glad that he doesn't have much power, so now he doesn't have to worry about it leaving him when he gets older. Imagine how good of a boxer Mosley would've been, had he had less power.

To me, the less power, the more concentration on other areas of your fighting style. Usually, guys with power will rely on it, and get frustrated if they cant land. Ultimately, they're stuck looking goofy while the guy with less power (or the guy who was able to withstand their power), outworks them.

Donaire Rigondeaux is a prime example.
Canelo Trout (although canelo barely won, trout out worked him)
Whitaker Chavez
Martinez Chavez Jr.
Dirrel Abraham
Ward Abraham

And GGG, Thurman, and Quilin will get outboxed too if they keep relying on power.

Even the Pacquiao Marquez series. Pacquiao definitely has more power than Marquez but marquez's skill ultimately made those decisions w/ the knockdowns. In part IV power didn't KO Pacquiao. Pinpoint accuracy. Youre not accurate if youre not a skillful boxer.

+Quote Post
Marcus
post May 23 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #16

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 12,254

QUOTE (mrchitown @ May 22 2013, 03:08 PM) *
I think the late Manny Steward summed it up perfectly, he can get the KO but he's more content with getting the rounds in the bank and getting the decision. If he would've kept at Cotto he would've been outta there in the 12th, Mosley was getting tattooed after that 2nd round and Floyd just starting picking his spots and banking the rounds.

Another good point. And heres another point. Mabe Mayweather trult takes pleasure in boxing. I mean he's the hardest working boxer in show biz. Everyone knows that. He works hard for 12 rounds. A KO here and there is fun but why shouldnt he do what he loves. I think Floyd takes pleasure in outboxing. You train for 12 rounds. Why not showoff in all 12 of them?

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 24 2013, 12:26 AM
Post #17

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Marcus @ May 23 2013, 08:04 PM) *
Another good point. And heres another point. Mabe Mayweather trult takes pleasure in boxing. I mean he's the hardest working boxer in show biz. Everyone knows that. He works hard for 12 rounds. A KO here and there is fun but why shouldnt he do what he loves. I think Floyd takes pleasure in outboxing. You train for 12 rounds. Why not showoff in all 12 of them?

I had to sit back and just let what Steward said sink in, I think Floyd is more concerned with putting rounds in the bank and adding that next W. Most times he's up by so many points, why risk going for the KO and possibly getting laid out yourself. He's intelligent and Steward just further shined light on that. I do believe it's some fights he could've finished his opponent but going for that KO would have forced him to take a risk and he only takes calculated risks. The Guerrero fight is a prime example, he was circling the wrong way and tattoing Robert and Robert couldn't do shit about it. The man is a genius inside the ring

This post has been edited by mrchitown: May 24 2013, 12:26 AM

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post May 24 2013, 10:00 AM
Post #18

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

It all boils down to Floyd being a fighter that is exciting to watch for a full three minutes of every round... even those who hate him cannot say they don't focus on mayweather for the entire three minutes of a round-- glued in to see if someone is able to penetrate his aura of invincibility. He simply is the best in the world. He exhibits the pugilistic science in every dimension as a boxer, slugger, flat footed, on his toes, fighting going forward or backwards, inside work, body punching... DEFENSIVELY POSSIBLY THE GREATEST--All styles have had a crack at beating LIL FLOYD as father used to call him.... this kid who Emanuel Steward said was fighting on the Detroit scene on teams as a kid at 106 pounds is the most complete fighter of all times comparable to Sugar Ray Robinson... he has less power than Ray Rob most definitely but Floyd is in that mold of greatness for sure... and there are only a handful of fighters of old in that mold.

This post has been edited by neophyte7: May 24 2013, 10:05 AM

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post May 24 2013, 08:31 PM
Post #19

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (neophyte7 @ May 24 2013, 10:00 AM) *
It all boils down to Floyd being a fighter that is exciting to watch for a full three minutes of every round... even those who hate him cannot say they don't focus on mayweather for the entire three minutes of a round-- glued in to see if someone is able to penetrate his aura of invincibility. He simply is the best in the world. He exhibits the pugilistic science in every dimension as a boxer, slugger, flat footed, on his toes, fighting going forward or backwards, inside work, body punching... DEFENSIVELY POSSIBLY THE GREATEST--All styles have had a crack at beating LIL FLOYD as father used to call him.... this kid who Emanuel Steward said was fighting on the Detroit scene on teams as a kid at 106 pounds is the most complete fighter of all times comparable to Sugar Ray Robinson... he has less power than Ray Rob most definitely but Floyd is in that mold of greatness for sure... and there are only a handful of fighters of old in that mold.

Just said this in another thread, he's definitely in that upper echelon, I can't front and say I'd put him over SRR though but just to be in an elite class like that speaks volumes for Floyd's legacy and his skills in the ring

+Quote Post
sduck
post May 26 2013, 05:01 PM
Post #20

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Mayweather stopped being a KO artist way long ago, it's not going to happen unless we get another Victor Ortiz.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 08:43 AM