Closed TopicStart new topic
> HBO: Broner-Reese Saturday Night Preview
Jack 1000
post Feb 11 2013, 06:06 PM
Post #1

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Discuss the Broner-Reese fight here. (Preview and Comment.)

According to Box Rec, Gavin Reese is not a nobody nor total shit. He is the British Lightweight Champion with about 40 fights and 18 KO's He also is a former WBA Super Lightweight Champion. Very strong, very tough, and supposedly game as hell. Here is Gavin's record (from Boxrec:)

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=...0&cat=boxer

Going around the Net, the consensus is that he is NOT coming to lay down. His only loss was to a very good fighter in the 12th round according to British reports, Andriy Kotelnyk back in 2008. I don't think this guy is coming to pull an Audley Harrison like against Haye or Price! (UGGHHH!) Throughout boxing history, there have been so many UK contenders who fold like accordions when they come over to America to fight top competition. But those who don't fold, have done very well. Where to rank Gavin Reese going into this fight with Adrian Boner, for the WBC Lightweight World Title?

I think Reese could be tougher than expected. However, toughness only. Hopefully, he will show heart and determination Broner has a huge reach advantage, and the Brits say Gavin is slow though determined. He is also been quoted by Broner as "dangerous."

This is a beat-down, stopped on cuts with Broner winning by TKO 8. Reese takes two rounds on courage, tops.

Jack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 13 2013, 09:02 PM
Post #2

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Snooze cards like this, just makes me wish the undercard was something to look forward to...kinda reminds me of how we got Rios/Alvarado for a co-feature, then came that BS Donaire vs Nishioko (sp)

Broner kills me with all of this trash talk, when he's clearly fighting no-hopers. If anything, as AL Haymon fighter, he's making the most of his deal. Most All Haymon fighters, coming up in the game, fight no-hopers for big paydays. Broner is fighting no-hopers for big paydays, and taking full advantage of his air time...cant knock him for that.

Rees may be a force to be reckoned with, who knows? I said this because I reflected on Ismayl Sillakh getting caught with his pants down against Grachev.

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 13 2013, 11:48 PM
Post #3

The Consultant

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Feb 13 2013, 08:02 PM) *
Snooze cards like this, just makes me wish the undercard was something to look forward to...kinda reminds me of how we got Rios/Alvarado for a co-feature, then came that BS Donaire vs Nishioko (sp)

Broner kills me with all of this trash talk, when he's clearly fighting no-hopers. If anything, as AL Haymon fighter, he's making the most of his deal. Most All Haymon fighters, coming up in the game, fight no-hopers for big paydays. Broner is fighting no-hopers for big paydays, and taking full advantage of his air time...cant knock him for that.

Rees may be a force to be reckoned with, who knows? I said this because I reflected on Ismayl Sillakh getting caught with his pants down against Grachev.

There's an outside shot for Reese to be competitive, but he will pay a price for it. Reese at least on paper does nothing better than Broner, and matches like these are often nothing more than for Jim Lamply to bring out the pop-poms for the HBO contracted fighter. Reese will have to KO this guy so he might as well go for broke! He sure as hell isn't winning a decision no matter what!

Jack

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 14 2013, 04:07 AM
Post #4

The Consultant

Check what this writer says about the odds of a Broner win! (Hint: Buster Douglas was not even that big of an underdog against Tyson!)

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2013/rees-up...r-broner-fight/

Jack

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 14 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #5

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I dont like those odds at all Jack...not all all. 80-1?! C'mon man, those numbers are crazy.

I may need to go and watch a few Rees fights, so I can make at least a decent assessment of his fight game. I think folks are riding on the fact that nobody really knows who he is.

Let's see how this goes. Any suggestions on Rees fights that I need to see? Any difficult fights that he's been in? I think those are the ones that truly matter right now. Lol

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Feb 14 2013, 11:11 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

Not too excited for thus fight but what can you do, he tried to fight a top guy.

I'm more excited to see how lamont looks, and I think delvin is on the Fnf as well so that card looks solid

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 15 2013, 01:15 PM
Post #7

The Consultant

Has HBO ever said no to a Delahoya and/or Al Haymon promoted card? If not, this should have been one with which to start because of it being such a mismatch. I will not be watching this one.

Jack

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post Feb 15 2013, 03:09 PM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Mayweather Jr Jr by stoppage. This will look like his daddy's fight against Arturo Gatti. An absolute blowout... Mayweather Jr Sr ruined things for Mayweather Jr Jr because we will be much less tolerant of a run that avoids risk this time around. I think fans have grown tired of that. Yes we wanna see Mayweather Jr Jr take on guys like JMM and Tim Bradley, possibly Amir Khan. they are out there and Mayweather Jr Jr will fit in well at 140 and 147. He looks way to big for 135.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Feb 15 2013, 04:13 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

showcase bout. who's on the under card?

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 15 2013, 07:37 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (The Original MrFactor @ Feb 15 2013, 12:09 PM) *
Mayweather Jr Jr by stoppage. This will look like his daddy's fight against Arturo Gatti. An absolute blowout... Mayweather Jr Sr ruined things for Mayweather Jr Jr because we will be much less tolerant of a run that avoids risk this time around. I think fans have grown tired of that. Yes we wanna see Mayweather Jr Jr take on guys like JMM and Tim Bradley, possibly Amir Khan. they are out there and Mayweather Jr Jr will fit in well at 140 and 147. He looks way to big for 135.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/clapping.gif) genius!

Does anyone think Reese has a chance? I mean maybe this could be one of these matches were Broner overlooks Reese for that May 4th date and he loses, like Berto and Ortiz etc. It could happen. What do yawl think? Either way I will be glued in. Broner is a fool and his skills are sharpening by the second.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 09:48 PM