> Mayweather Interview on NBC
Cshel86
post Mar 2 2012, 05:11 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 2 2012, 04:49 PM) *
"The two greatest warriors are patients and time." Tolstoy.

Oh okay, sounds like he said something like that. I may have to go back and watch it again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 2 2012, 07:29 PM
Post #12

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 2 2012, 02:33 PM) *
+1 on him being a thinker, but not really being able to articulate his thoughts well. What part did he quote Tolstoy? I actually like Bob Costas...problem is, his voice sounds like Brian Kenny (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I actually like Brian Kenny and ESPN, particularly it's boxing world, took a hit w/ his departure. Kenny, in all his deliberate chiding of Floyd, at least seemed like he cared and most importantly, knew a bit about boxing. Costas, not so much. Moreover, in the interviews, Kenny engaged in banter w/ the participants, whereas Costas seemingly "presides" over interviews, like a judge or (dare I say) a media God. I have to do background checks to make sure he didn't change his last name from Lampley. They both throw these soliloquies around, as if we're impressed by the Renaissance Man inside them, that's dying to get out. STFU!

As far as Floyd's thinking abilities, I think Floyd's problem, as w/ many of us, is he believes what he believes and can't really be swayed from it. Moreover, he, to some degree, delves too far into "conspiracy" theories. I like Floyd, but sometimes his "not getting it", makes me wonder why he doesn't get "it"?

+Quote Post
Kratza
post Mar 2 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #13

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,360

Hes right Pacquiao shouldnt get 50/50, 70/30 would be better but hes wrong about him not needing Pacman in some ways he doesn't but if he doesn't fight him there will always be doubts in peoples minds of who actually is/was the best

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 2 2012, 08:25 PM
Post #14

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

very interesting interview. it's apparent to me that he has had some coaching and is thinking before he speaks and checking his emotions more than usual. that was loooong overdue and for a guy on his level...he should have hired a good p.r. firm a looong time ago.

on the pac fight....i don't totally agree with him about not needing pacquiao. his legacy will forever be tainted by the fact that they did not fight. ppl will always question it. the sad part is i believe it will be one of his easiest fights. i get that he himself seems to be jealous of pacs rise in fame and recognition and so in his dealing with pac it almost seems that beating him in the ring wouldn't be enough. he wants to humiliate the dude on every level. that's his choice. he can make that call...but on the flipside he has to know that it brings doubt and everything else that comes with it. he always says...."they never give me my just due..." or "they never give me credit..." and while i partially agree with him, he has to understand that he is being held to a much higher standard than pac and everyone else. that is illustrated very well in the whole jeremy lin thing as well. his comment is right in line with how he feels about pac. as far as the split...and his admission to offering pac 40mil...i think he may have opened a huge can of worms with that. so now that we know he doesn't share the revenue...and he is essentially paying his opponents...how do we know he will ever pick a fighter to fight that has a chance to beat him? he fights for himself...and the fans are the ones that pay to see him. he can't forget that. i believe he left himself wide open for plenty of criticism with that one. at the end of the day...history is made by those who write it. not everyone will remember the details of all that went on in this situation and he will end up being painted as the one who avoided pac. that interview did nothing to help his cause on that front.

on bob costas interviewing floyd....i think that is great and it leads me to speculate that oscar's great announcement might have something to do with boxing being back on nbc. if that is indeed the case...i will be extremely happy!!! i don't mind bob costas and i enjoyed him on the ppv's back in the day. he's a lot easier to listen to than lampley and merchant who are pure shit imo.

on the fight with cotto...he seemed to give cotto a lot of respect and i don't know what to make of that. i know he gave ortiz respect in the beginning...but towards the end he started talking more shit. maybe this will play out the same. we'll see.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 2 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #15

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Mar 2 2012, 05:49 PM) *
"The two greatest warriors are patients and time." Tolstoy.

ummm..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) not trying to stir the pot but i think it's patience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Mar 2 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #16

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 2 2012, 09:27 PM) *
ummm..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) not trying to stir the pot but i think it's patience. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

professor.....you dare to correct the self-proclaimed "English major"?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 2 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 2 2012, 09:32 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 2 2012, 09:18 PM
Post #18

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 2 2012, 08:27 PM) *

Ummm Professor...USUALLY when you start a sentence with "not trying to stir the pot"...that's a clear indicator that you are! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Mar 2 2012, 08:32 PM) *

Awww shit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I ignored it, but she did make a good point.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Mar 2 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 2 2012, 10:18 PM) *
Ummm Professor...USUALLY when you start a sentence with "not trying to stir the pot"...that's a clear indicator that you are! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Awww shit! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I ignored it, but she did make a good point.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 2 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Mar 2 2012, 08:25 PM) *
so now that we know he doesn't share the revenue...and he is essentially paying his opponents...how do we know he will ever pick a fighter to fight that has a chance to beat him? he fights for himself...and the fans are the ones that pay to see him. he can't forget that. i believe he left himself wide open for plenty of criticism with that one.

The answer to that question is simple...he will continue to fight guys who have no choice but to accept the money that he presents to them. Cotto's looking at somewhere around $30M...not sure he would've made that much money against anybody else.

At this point of Cotto's career, he's "supposed" to be one foot out of the game, but that much money makes anybody look like they still have something in the tank. Hell, Ortiz got about $2.5M, which is his biggest payday, so who would be crazy enough to walk away from that type of money?

I agree about the criticism that he may get for making that comment about fighting for himself, but really...hasn't criticism made his career what it is today? When people talk bad about him, and hopes that he loses..that curiosity leads to huge dividends for him.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 11:04 PM