IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Williams-Pavlik, Who takes this fight at Middleweight?
Williams-Pavlik
Who wins at Middleweight?
Paul Williams [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
Kelly Pavlik [ 3 ] ** [50.00%]
Total Votes: 6
Guests cannot vote 
Guest_ViperSniper_*
post Feb 16 2011, 01:36 AM
Post #1

Guests

Both fighters seem to want to fight soon but neither have an opponent yet, so why not fight eachother like they were originally meant to? I've always wanted to see this fight and always thought Williams would have beatin Pavlik.

But now that both fighters face adversity, do your original prediction of the fight changed or has it stayed the same? Pavlik has been inactive not fighting since his loss to Martinez mainly due to alcohol problems going to rehab as a result, and Williams also coming off a loss to Martinez in one of the most devastating fashions possible.

Which fighters do you think have to over come more or who still have more to offer?

So if they were to fight at Middleweight now who would win?

Got Williams still.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Feb 16 2011, 01:47 AM
Post #2

Guests

Would have said Williams easily a while back, now I am still picking Williams but it's close to a pick 'em.

I still can't believe Williams got KTFO by Sergio Martinez in 2 rounds, lol. Pavlik is in with a shot after that.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Feb 16 2011, 02:05 AM
Post #3

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,447

when the fight was first announced i leaned towards pavlik and as long as he maintains his skill set that doesnt change... williams is not hopkins number 1 and 2 martinez didnt win that fight with pav going away.... pavlik was in it and in my opinion that fight was close... not that that matters when comparing these 2 fighters but i say that to say pavlik if not equal to skill set with martinez is not far from him (and keep in mind that martinez fight was fought with a pavlik that had personal issues)... i dont think martinez punches as hard as pavlik and id have to think somewhere in the fight pavlik would land.... not that williams would be 1 punched again but i dont think pavlik would just land that one time through out the fight... i can see pavlik pounding out a mid to late round ko or a ud over 10 or 12 rounds... not to mention pavs a full fledge middleweight... i think he'd be too big for williams... i think williams was a legit welter despite his height....

+Quote Post
edd098
post Feb 16 2011, 02:35 AM
Post #4

Amateur

Member No.: 11,489

can pavlik still make 160?

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Feb 16 2011, 02:57 AM
Post #5

Guests

JLuv. I actually think Martinez skill set is much better than Pavlik's. I think that's kind of a left hand slap in the face to Martinez. The fight was close until round 8, after that Martinez basically swept the last 4 rounds to win it clearly.

+Quote Post
caneman
post Feb 16 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #6

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 16 2011, 02:57 AM) *
JLuv. I actually think Martinez skill set is much better than Pavlik's. I think that's kind of a left hand slap in the face to Martinez. The fight was close until round 8, after that Martinez basically swept the last 4 rounds to win it clearly.

I agree with this! I picked Williams & just pray that he isn't damaged goods after being stopped like that! I guess based off the Martinez, Pavlik could have a punchers chance, after all, when a fighter with a high output like Williams(or Pacman)goes @ it., he leaves himself open to counters, it's just a fact!

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Feb 16 2011, 04:26 AM
Post #7

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (Fitz @ Feb 16 2011, 01:57 AM) *

8 rounds of even fighting from a guy that probably got plastered after training leading into that fight is pretty good... i wouldnt call that a slap to martinez... i like martinez but he had that one fight where he cleaned up williams... i dont want to say he getting too much respect for one fight but its becoming border line...

+Quote Post
caneman
post Feb 16 2011, 04:31 AM
Post #8

Amateur

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,310

QUOTE (JLUVBABY @ Feb 16 2011, 04:26 AM) *
8 rounds of even fighting from a guy that probably got plastered after training leading into that fight is pretty good... i wouldnt call that a slap to martinez... i like martinez but he had that one fight where he cleaned up williams... i dont want to say he getting too much respect for one fight but its becoming border line...

Don't you think Martinez's last 5-6 fights are impressive as a whole? On the one fight you speak of, other then Martinez in the 1st fight, he was never really visibly hurt before!

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Feb 16 2011, 05:08 AM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (caneman @ Feb 16 2011, 03:31 AM) *
Don't you think Martinez's last 5-6 fights are impressive as a whole? On the one fight you speak of, other then Martinez in the 1st fight, he was never really visibly hurt before!

im not taking away from martinez in no way shape or form... but my point to fitz was that pavlik, for a guy that had the problem he had, did very well in that fight.... and if not for a few tactical errors, or, errors you can say he couldnt avoid or what have you he's in that fight... to say calling pavlik being in that fight is a slap in the face to martinez i dont understand that... better skill set doesnt always mean the better fighter... there are other tangibles involved such as heart, determination etc that decides the outcome of a fight besides how skilled a fighter is... i can name countless fights where the more supremely skilled fighter lost... just saying... i dont have every fight memorized but from what i recall that fight was closer than pavlik losing every round after 8... and i was rooting for martinez in that fight... if i remember correctly i had martinez by 2 or 3 rounds... not a white wash by any means.. and if pavlik trained under those conditions that says a lot about the guy...

This post has been edited by JLUVBABY: Feb 16 2011, 05:11 AM

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Feb 16 2011, 05:13 AM
Post #10

Light Heavyweight

QUOTE (ViperSniper @ Feb 16 2011, 04:09 AM) *
Agree. I don't think Pavlik should be compared with Martinez or many other top fighters when it comes to skills, as he is very limited and ordinary to me. Other than when Martinez slowed in the middle rounds, and perhaps got too relaxed and got dropped, but other than that, he beat Pavlik up good and had time to have some fun along the way. I do think it's a little unfair for Martinez who actually has decent skills, tools and smarts to be compared to Pavlik who is pretty one-dimensional.

better skills dont always win the fight... you guys know this...

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 07:11 PM