IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> top ten fights u DON'T want to see, have at it...
checkleft
post Sep 21 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #11

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Sep 21 2012, 03:54 PM) *
Any klitschko fight unless it's against each other.

By the way I have a quick question for everyone that said they don't want to see Martinez vs mayweather. I know all your reasons were because of the weight difference. So is it that Martinez will be just to big and end up just beating the shit out of Floyd easily? If yes then I can understand why you don't want. But I see it being competitive and a good fight reguardless of weight. Floyds a master and would make it competitive. And for that I'd love to see that fight. Do y'all ever want to see Floyd test himself mentally and physically in a situation where the outcome isn't obvious and he has a huge chance at losing?

I think it remains to be seen if martinez can make the weight effectively at this point in his career. I think the reasoning behind most people not wanting to see martinez vs floyd at 154 is that it has the potential to turnout to be like dawson vs ward or josesito vs canelo ( either drained or too big). Doubt that people just dont want to see floyd tested mentally. You could argue that he was tested mentally against cotto and maybe thats why hes in no rush to come back boxing.

I like franchize statement about there being plenty of competition at 147 that could potentially test floyd, because im not at all sold on alvarez until he fights someone who is actually his size and ranked in the top ten. IF alexander wins im certain were gonna hear pac/floyd come out of his mouth

This post has been edited by checkleft: Sep 21 2012, 03:43 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 21 2012, 03:58 PM
Post #12

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Sep 21 2012, 02:54 PM) *
Any klitschko fight unless it's against each other.

By the way I have a quick question for everyone that said they don't want to see Martinez vs mayweather. I know all your reasons were because of the weight difference. So is it that Martinez will be just to big and end up just beating the shit out of Floyd easily? If yes then I can understand why you don't want. But I see it being competitive and a good fight reguardless of weight. Floyds a master and would make it competitive. And for that I'd love to see that fight. Do y'all ever want to see Floyd test himself mentally and physically in a situation where the outcome isn't obvious and he has a huge chance at losing?

it's not a fight that is high on my list. i think floyd outpoints martinez. there's no way in hell floyd is going to chase him around.

+Quote Post
boxingloner
post Sep 21 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #13

Junior Flyweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 13,707

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 21 2012, 01:58 PM) *
it's not a fight that is high on my list. i think floyd outpoints martinez. there's no way in hell floyd is going to chase him around.

It's a great fight for Floyds career and legacy if he moved up and won the middleweight championship. It would be huge for him. And IMO Martinez would be doing the chasing. It's the kind of test for floyd that tons and tons of people have wanted to see out of him.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 21 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 21 2012, 04:58 PM) *

you also know he isnt gonna let martinez flick jabs and straights at him with his hands down without some pull counters, straights, or left hooks coming back at him. it would be interesting to see how martinez would go at floyd, he looked out of it when he was chasing macklin around the ring and macklin isnt really a boxer.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Sep 21 2012, 06:27 PM
Post #15

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Sep 21 2012, 04:41 PM) *
I guess we look at it differently. It's not a lose/lose for Floyd. If he steps up and fought Martinez and say floyd won. It would boost is status big time as one of the greatest of all time It would be. And he only people that would be saying oh he is better skill wise and he should have won anyways are the one that dont know squat and who cares what they say. .Floyd would get unbelieveably huge credit for beating Martinez, more than any other fight he's had. If Martinez ended up blowing him out the water than people would say the weight made a huge difference and the same would be said if he lost a completive fight. There is no shame in losing a fight that you are mentally and physically testing yourself.

In a perfect world, maybe this would be true. In a world dominated by facebook, twitter and blogs, the days of the knowledgeable fan being the majority are over. Furthermore, unlike the 1%, casual fans (the new majority) have a lot of pull. If they didnt, said fight and countless others would have been made. Youre right. We look at it differently. I just dont see Mayweather beating Martinez and ppl having a change of heart. Martinez will be just another guy he was "supposed" to beat mysteriously. Itll start with HBO. Just like they did with Ward vs Dawson; instead of giving credit where its due for beating a big time opponent who's bigger, in their prime, they will downplay the Martinez talent and paint the picture after the fact that he isnt that good. Either that or his age will be an excuse. If I was Floyd, Id be looking for the best welterweight fight to be made, starting with Manny, then Id cash out on one more big event and then give the sport my ass to kiss. Im admittedly a Floyd fan but even if I werent. HE is the p4p king. Why is it that he seems to be conceding to other ppls wishes lately? If I were him, if you wanna fight me, you will be fighting at 147, in MGM, taking random drug test, and for however much Im willing to offer you. End of story.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Sep 21 2012, 06:29 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 21 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Sep 21 2012, 04:06 PM) *
It's a great fight for Floyds career and legacy if he moved up and won the middleweight championship. It would be huge for him. And IMO Martinez would be doing the chasing. It's the kind of test for floyd that tons and tons of people have wanted to see out of him.

martinez was talking about dropping in weight....that's a no win situation for floyd. at 160...all the glory will be his and it's definitely a career defining fight...that is a win he could retire off of. i get the feeling floyds going to stick around for a few more paydays but i doubt that happens. i expect that he will lose to someone he shouldn't lose to due to inactivity. we can all hope and pray for those kinds of fights...but the truth is, floyd and pac are not cut from the same cloth as guys like duran, hearns, benitez and hagler. (i left leonard out on purpose)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 21 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #17

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Sep 21 2012, 04:10 PM) *
you also know he isnt gonna let martinez flick jabs and straights at him with his hands down without some pull counters, straights, or left hooks coming back at him. it would be interesting to see how martinez would go at floyd, he looked out of it when he was chasing macklin around the ring and macklin isnt really a boxer.

the thing about it...floyd won't be able to pull counter too much because martinez is a longer opponent. he'll get away with it in certain spots...but i could see floyd catching and countering and throwing with martinez anytime he attacks. martinez is pretty much a one trick pony...he tries to lure u in...and counter u. he likes to set traps...but very rarely does he go on the attack with out first making u step towards him. floyd will sit back and counter his attacks. floyd is waaaay more versatile so i can see him doing several things successfully against martinez. i don't believe martinez is as fast as floyd.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 21 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #18

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 21 2012, 07:39 PM) *
the thing about it...floyd won't be able to pull counter too much because martinez is a longer opponent. he'll get away with it in certain spots...but i could see floyd catching and countering and throwing with martinez anytime he attacks. martinez is pretty much a one trick pony...he tries to lure u in...and counter u. he likes to set traps...but very rarely does he go on the attack with out first making u step towards him. floyd will sit back and counter his attacks. floyd is waaaay more versatile so i can see him doing several things successfully against martinez. i don't believe martinez is as fast as floyd.

Yea he and ward have some of the best left hooks to deal with south paws that I've seen

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Sep 21 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #19

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (boxingloner @ Sep 21 2012, 09:41 PM) *
I guess we look at it differently. It's not a lose/lose for Floyd. If he steps up and fought Martinez and say floyd won. It would boost is status big time as one of the greatest of all time It would be. And he only people that would be saying oh he is better skill wise and he should have won anyways are the one that dont know squat and who cares what they say. .Floyd would get unbelieveably huge credit for beating Martinez, more than any other fight he's had. If Martinez ended up blowing him out the water than people would say the weight made a huge difference and the same would be said if he lost a completive fight. There is no shame in losing a fight that you are mentally and physically testing yourself.

your talking like a casual fan, no matter what Floyd does, he will always protect that 0, he takes calculated risks, and would never take a high risk of losing that 0 it's as simple as that. I don't think he actually needs to fight Martinez, I'd be interested in the fight sure, but come on, this is Mayweather...

+Quote Post
boxingloner
post Sep 21 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #20

Junior Flyweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 13,707

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 21 2012, 04:29 PM) *
martinez was talking about dropping in weight....that's a no win situation for floyd. at 160...all the glory will be his and it's definitely a career defining fight...that is a win he could retire off of. i get the feeling floyds going to stick around for a few more paydays but i doubt that happens. i expect that he will lose to someone he shouldn't lose to due to inactivity. we can all hope and pray for those kinds of fights...but the truth is, floyd and pac are not cut from the same cloth as guys like duran, hearns, benitez and hagler. (i left leonard out on purpose)

I agree with this. Especially the last part. Its one of the reason i can't grasp on to fighters like Floyd and others like i did before with other fighters from the past because they don't test themselves like before. And IMO it has weakened boxing to the general public. I understand what you are saying if Martinez dropped in weight to fight Floyd. It would put Martinez at a disadvantage and Floyd prolly would t get the credit if he won because they would expect a Floyd win. Now If Floyd were to fight Martinez at 160 for the middleweight championship i like want, all glory would be for Floyd if he could pull it out and it would be career defining. But i know it wishful thinking by me for wanting to see it.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 07:12 AM