IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPV:Rios/Abril-Marquez-Fedchenko@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT), No Public Streams, New Threads (See 1st Message About Start Time)
checkleft
post Apr 16 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #81

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Apr 16 2012, 07:53 AM) *
Absolutely correct. Exactly what in the hell were they going to do with Abril, in regards to his image? That's the same question I had when Campillo was robbed in the Cloud fight.

I had to check myself for getting pissed about Marquez not getting the decision in the rubber match against Manny. JMM's nearly on father time, and is able to headline big fights at 140. Sad thing is, Manny is in the mix for a mega fight that people are losing sleep over. No need to lose the remaining luster of the big fight, by awarding Marquez the decision...

This is "suppose" to be a sport though. It's not suppose to be about popularity, its suppose to be about the better individual. Sports are built off of upsets, that's what makes them exciting. Ncaa basketball the nfl playoffs college football... And the list goes on
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 16 2012, 07:38 PM
Post #82

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (checkleft @ Apr 16 2012, 07:57 PM) *
This is "suppose" to be a sport though. It's not suppose to be about popularity, its suppose to be about the better individual. Sports are built off of upsets, that's what makes them exciting. Ncaa basketball the nfl playoffs college football... And the list goes on

The difference between boxing and other sports, is that most of those other sports are a team effort and there are several known teams for people to choose from. Boxing isn't full "known" fighters that people can choose from. Those known fighters nowadays, may fight every 4-8 (even 12 months) apart.

With that said, promoters and networks spend so much time trying to build fighters, so losses (especially embarrassing ones) are not an option. If guys are undefeated, then that's better marketability for a causal (or clueless) fan who may not know the full scoop. Boxing is a brutal and unforgiving sport, so 1 loss has the ability to set a guy back, unlike other sports, where teams typically play weekly, so there are several chances for redemption.

Example: Canelo vs Mosley...on the May 5th card, most folks just know Cotto, Floyd, and Mosley. So when they Alvarez's record, they will say, "Hey, this red-headed kid is undefeated, so he must be a bad ass, and look, he's fighting Shane. Let's see what he can do".

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Apr 18 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #83

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

I was just wondering,

If these terrible decision fights are fixed in a way, where say just for an example that the house fighter or guy with the undefeated record, or the big name promoter is supposed to win against a visiting fighter with some loses, how do you think a promoter like Arum would be doing the fixing so as not to get caught? You would still almost have to have documented evidence like a video showing bribe money being exchanged between the two judges and King in the Cloud-Campillo fight, or Delahoya and the judges in the Williams-Laura fight, or the two judges who voted for Rios in the Abril fight. If there is dirty pool going down, how do you think it goes down?

Or does no bribe have to take place in a fight with a terrible decision, and the judges are just favoring the name fighter to get more assignments in the future? The fear of retributions from 80-something year old men.......Arum and King. Or even Oscar when his fighters get decisions they don't deserve?

What hasn't changed is the amount of people buying the PPV's because of bad decisions. I would like to see a massive Internet rally of concern against terrible judging where people are saying, "I am not buying Pacquiao-Bradley, because Bradley will never be treated fairly on the cards against Arum's cash cow.

What's really happening here? Answers could be varied and interesting. If Arum retires or dies, same with King, how much would that change the state of boxing?

Jack

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 10:45 AM