IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is it possible that Cotto could pass Pacquiao in PPV numbers?, Pacquiao-Bradley 2 vs. Cotto-Martinez
ryustuh
post Mar 19 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #21

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,090

i see pac-bradley 2 doing better numbers because of all the die-hard manny fans praying that he can pull off the W and prove that he's still got it (since the rios fight obviously didn't prove anything). on the flip-side, you'll have a ton of fans watching just to prove to themselves that manny has indeed fallen off. it's also a big draw because of all the implications it holds for pacquiao's future career given a W or a L (i.e. will a win push him any closer to facing floyd, who will he face if he loses, etc). cotto-martinez is compelling and more exciting to me, but i dont see these guys in the same make-or-break type situation that pac is in.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 19 2014, 01:48 PM
Post #22

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Mar 19 2014, 02:24 PM) *
i see pac-bradley 2 doing better numbers because of all the die-hard manny fans praying that he can pull off the W and prove that he's still got it (since the rios fight obviously didn't prove anything). on the flip-side, you'll have a ton of fans watching just to prove to themselves that manny has indeed fallen off. it's also a big draw because of all the implications it holds for pacquiao's future career given a W or a L (i.e. will a win push him any closer to facing floyd, who will he face if he loses, etc). cotto-martinez is compelling and more exciting to me, but i dont see these guys in the same make-or-break type situation that pac is in.

Good points man! Welcome back, by the way.

I think we'll all be able to make a better assessment, once we see how the promotion goes for both fights. Right now, I don't hear anybody (read: people on the street) talking about EITHER fight just yet, but that doesn't truly say much at this moment. I remember the Tyson, Holyfield, HW era...you'd hear people talking about those fights. Now that I think about it...I'll wait til fight week, that's when I used to hear about those fights, then they'd happen shortly after. Lol

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Mar 20 2014, 07:00 PM
Post #23

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Mar 19 2014, 02:24 PM) *

Good point, but I think Cotto even while moving up to a weight we're unsure of how he'll look, is in a make or break. If he loses badly as some here (including myself) may suspect, I think his stock takes a dive into the "never be the same as before/washed up" column. Even if he was to follow it up against another world beater like Canelo, I don't think he would be considered the "A-side fighter" as he would be now and the that potential event as well, would take a hit from a pre-Cotto loss.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Mar 20 2014, 10:19 PM
Post #24

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Mar 20 2014, 08:00 PM) *
Good point, but I think Cotto even while moving up to a weight we're unsure of how he'll look, is in a make or break. If he loses badly as some here (including myself) may suspect, I think his stock takes a dive into the "never be the same as before/washed up" column. Even if he was to follow it up against another world beater like Canelo, I don't think he would be considered the "A-side fighter" as he would be now and the that potential event as well, would take a hit from a pre-Cotto loss.

I somewhat agree with you G, but Cotto's best bet here, is to "look good losing"...like he did in the Mayweather fight. Even if he does move on to fight Canelo afterwards (after a loss), we'd have to look at Canelo's recent PPV numbers with Angulo, which a appear to be around 375k...Cotto will still be the A-side...he may not get a huge cut of the purse as he usually would, but he'd still be the A-side...in a sense.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 12:52 AM