IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V  « < 23 24 25  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PPV@9PM(ET)/6PM(PT);Cotto vs. Margarito II: SPOILERS 15 Mins. Later, No New Spoilers, Public Streams, or Discussion of Showtime Card
Genius
post Dec 5 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #241

Bantamweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,359

I agree with most of what been said about the fight but what the hell was with the lets go to the dressing rooms over and over again like it was rasslin...then brother Nazim showed up...this shit was too much lol. And lol if Robert Garcia gonna sacarfice his training career by loading Tony wraps.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 5 2011, 12:58 AM
Post #242

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Genius @ Dec 5 2011, 12:30 AM) *
what the hell was with the lets go to the dressing rooms over and over again like it was rasslin...then brother Nazim showed up...this shit was too much lol. And lol if Robert Garcia gonna sacarfice his training career by loading Tony wraps.

Simple answer...a bunch attention whores with their thumbs up their asses (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) It doesn't get any easier than that. I mean seriously, they took it waaaay too far when they kept going to locker room and tryng to hype up the story (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif)

Robert Garcia doesn't care anyway...Im pretty sure he's made more money off of Margarito in the last year and a half, than he's made training thus far. Trust me, we all know how that goes, money will make somebody either remember something, forget something, or blatantly disregard something.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Dec 5 2011, 03:21 AM
Post #243

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

Like I said earlier in the thread, I didn't like the stoppage because it was ONLY because of the eye. If Pacquiao didn't fuck that eye up, it would of went to a decision. I thought Cotto was winning anyways. They both fought exactly the same as they did the first fight, the only difference is that Cotto didn't gas out because Margarito's punches weren't as effective this time around (handwraps (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) )

I didn't pay much attention to the undercards because I had a lot of on my mind. I didn't like what I saw in Rios, didn't look strong like he did in his previous fight. I think I payed less attention to the Rodriguez-Wolak fight, but I definitely did see the last round and Wolak got his ass whooped.
I like Mike Jones' craft as a fighter, the HBO commentators, I think Max Kellerman compared him to Vernon Forrest. They are pretty similar, but Forrest was a bigger puncher IMO. Anyone that can put Shane Mosley on his ass is definitely a pretty big puncher.

+Quote Post
Genius
post Dec 5 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #244

Bantamweight

Member No.: 1,359

Jones is nothing like Forrest at all, other than being black and tall for that weight. Forrest had a great jab, solid right hand and left hook...plus he had a solid amateur career which Emanuel Steward gets hard ons from.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Dec 6 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #245

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

I don't think Forrest's knockdown of Mosley had as much to do with his punching power as it did Vernon's timing. Mosley was already groggy from a right hand that landed like 10 seconds earlier and he never saw the uppercut to the point of his chin that put him down. Forrest is a solid puncher no doubt, but not like a Hearns for example that shares a similar build.

About the Margarito stoppage and the eye issue. First of all I get that Margarito had 2 eye surgeries post-Pacquiao, but that eye looked permanently damaged to me. In the 24/7 episodes it looked like he had a glass/fake eyeball (the few times you saw it without the dark shades covering it). I'm surprised that the NYSAC cleared Margarito to fight to be honest. The same way that some judges "score blood" when it doesn't always tell the whole story, regardless of Margarito's eye being cleared by the tests it still LOOKED messed up going into the fight. So going into the fight of course the NYSAC (ring doctor included) are going to be very watchful of damage to it. Margarito had to know that; we all knew it. I don't suggest that Margarito should have been stopped any sooner than would have any other fighter on the planet because of a severely swollen eye (especially when fighting back and doing well at the time) but I do suggest that the writing was already on the wall before the bell ever sounded to start the fight. The last thing the NYSAC wants is a report of Margarito being blind in that eye or something following the Cotto fight. Shit for all we know he IS blind in that eye after the supposed 86 punches that Cotto landed on it. Shitty, anti-climactic ending to the fight? Absolutely. Completely understandable ending considering the circumstances and boxing politics? Absolutely as well.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Dec 6 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #246

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

QUOTE (BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 6 2011, 07:00 PM) *
The last thing the NYSAC wants is a report of Margarito being blind in that eye or something following the Cotto fight. Shit for all we know he IS blind in that eye after the supposed 86 punches that Cotto landed on it. Shitty, anti-climactic ending to the fight? Absolutely. Completely understandable ending considering the circumstances and boxing politics? Absolutely as well.

I agree with that and i'd also bet if margarito isn't blind he's close to it. Like you said, his eyeball is physically damaged in a noticeable way...

as if the handwrap incident wasn't enough incentive to revoke margarito's license.

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Dec 6 2011, 07:41 PM
Post #247

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (wolterb @ Dec 6 2011, 07:14 PM) *
I agree with that and i'd also bet if margarito isn't blind he's close to it. Like you said, his eyeball is physically damaged in a noticeable way...

as if the handwrap incident wasn't enough incentive to revoke margarito's license.

Can he fight in Vegas?

+Quote Post
sduck
post Dec 6 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #248

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

QUOTE (Genius @ Dec 5 2011, 09:56 AM) *
Jones is nothing like Forrest at all, other than being black and tall for that weight. Forrest had a great jab, solid right hand and left hook...plus he had a solid amateur career which Emanuel Steward gets hard ons from.

They're styles seem similar to me though I think Forrest was better.

Well yeah, he's not a Hearns or Tyson type puncher, but he still was a pretty big puncher. Kellerman tried to say both hit good but not great... What the hell was he looking at? Clearly Forrest hits harder than Jones.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 6 2011, 09:54 PM
Post #249

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (wolterb @ Dec 6 2011, 07:14 PM) *

Tell me about it! As much as I dont like Margarito, I have to admit, his eye situation is everybody elses fault. Reasons:
  1. He should've NEVER been able to step foot in the ring again, EVER.
  2. His trainer should've stopped the Pacquiao fight, even if it was against Toney's will.
  3. The ref (Lawrence Cole, I believe) should've used better judgement and stopped the fight waaaay earlier
  4. The ring doctors should've used better judgement when they checked his eye. I mean, Im not a doctor by any measure, but they should've noticed something that we didn't. Shit, if a mechanic drives your car while you're in it, they will notice things about your car, that you may not have given the time of day to think about.

I know Margarito is a man and he can make his own decisions, but for God's sake, he is a FIGHTER, and a Mexican fighter at that. He doesn't know how to quit. As he stated and proved...he's ready to go life and death in the ring...somebody is supposed to save him from his own stupidity. Isn't that the whole reason behind having a team? To look out for your best interest? That does include a fighter's health, by the way, but I guess money overshadows all of that.

QUOTE (Allmenjoi8 @ Dec 6 2011, 07:41 PM) *
Can he fight in Vegas?

What a question! Keep 'em coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

QUOTE (sduck @ Dec 6 2011, 08:33 PM) *
Kellerman tried to say both hit good but not great... What the hell was he looking at? Clearly Forrest hits harder than Jones.

Oh dont mind them, they were just a victim of their own "man-crush misshaps". Forgive them (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Forrest DOES hit harder than Jones, and he sure as hell knows how to turn his damn punches...something Mike Jones just cant seem to grasp.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Dec 10 2011, 10:19 PM
Post #250

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,770

jesus, this is a good fight (watching the replay). margarito's punches STILL look clunky and ineffective and yet STILL are marking up cottos face

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 23 24 25
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 06:05 PM