IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Poll bitches: Do you think Guerrero deserves a shot at Floyd?
Does Guerrero deserve a shot at Floyd?
Vote suckas
Guerrero needs to beat a top 5 WW. [ 15 ] ** [88.24%]
Guerrero has done enough and deserves a shot [ 2 ] ** [11.76%]
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
leonthegee
post Nov 26 2012, 07:58 AM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,401

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Nov 26 2012, 05:49 AM) *
All of the fights that Robert seemed to avoid/bypass at 140, are now catching up to him at 147 (Paulie, Maidana, Alexander, Bradley, Ortiz)...he should be happy with these bouts and pump his brakes.

I'm tired of hearing about his backstory and he still doesn't sell tickets, people seem to forget that. 24/7 isn't the end all, be all, and it isn't going to skyrocket every fighter's career. Hell, Pacquiao's boring as hell on 24/7, but he's known for putting on great fights, and that's why people watch him.

All of this jumping from A-Z in boxing, has got to stop soon. Guys think that they can have one good fight, and BOOM, they're entitled to a HUGE fight. What ever happened to cleaning out the division and being recognized as THE champ?

Robert's a decent fighter, but he still seems to be begging instead of taking on all comers. Khan has begged for a Floyd fight, but in the meantime, he's taken on all comers, even if it was a risk...I can never take that away from him.

One thing that sucks for Guerrero, is that he's still failed to produce any type of identity for himself in the sport of boxing. Golden Boy makes it seem as if they're trying to push for a Floyd fight, but they haven't put in half as much work for Robert as they did for Ortiz.

If Robert wants to make a statement, then he at least needs to fight Ortiz on the next Mayweather card...at least fight a guy that Floyd has already faced. I can't knock him for wanting a big payday, but don't get an invisible title (WBC "interim title), fight an unknown Aydin, batter and not put away a blind and inactive Berto, and suddenly get tunnel vision when it comes to everyone else in the division.

A Guerrero fight does nothing more for Floyd's career, other than make him seem that much more afraid of the competition at hand. I can't picture Floyd saying, "We chose Guerrero because he called us out. If he want it, he can get it". It looked bad when he "accepted Marquez's challenge" (who was a small guy), and it wouldn't look any better if he did the same for an unknown Guerrrero.

Agree with everything you said, but I'll just play devils advocate here, can't one argue that Guerreros done more to deserve a shot than Canelo? Who is rumored to be on a short list for Mayweather.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Plah
post Nov 26 2012, 10:04 AM
Post #12

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

Not yet. He has to beat at least 2 of the following: Maidana, Devon, Paulie, Bradley (fight's not gonna happen), Ortiz, Lopez. Division is stacked, clean it!!

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 26 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #13

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

give guerrero his shot. i don't hear too many other ppl calling floyd out the way guerrero has been. i think he puts up a better fight than floyds last 6 opponents.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Nov 26 2012, 12:54 PM
Post #14

Super Bantamweight

Member No.: 12,629

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 26 2012, 01:31 PM) *
give guerrero his shot. i don't hear too many other ppl calling floyd out the way guerrero has been. i think he puts up a better fight than floyds last 6 opponents.

A better fight than Cotto? Hell no.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 26 2012, 01:09 PM
Post #15

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (leonthegee @ Nov 26 2012, 07:58 AM) *
Agree with everything you said, but I'll just play devils advocate here, can't one argue that Guerreros done more to deserve a shot than Canelo? Who is rumored to be on a short list for Mayweather.

We all know that a "name" ( tv views, gate sales, etc) trumps a resume any day of the week. The only thing that gets an unknown fighter a shot at the big name, is a promoter's agenda (Arum making the Pac/Bradley fight). If Ortiz only got $2.5M against Floyd, then I can only imagine the peanuts that Guerrero would get. He just made $1M against Berto (and beat him), so Im sure he'll be somewhere worth the amount that Berto got ($1.6M).

Mayweather is hardly a draw himself, so making a Guerrero fight would be a stretch (in my opinion). Floyd needs guys like Marquez, Mosley, Cotto, and Ortiz to crack $1M buys, so I cant see where Robert fits in the equation. Im not trying to make Floyd seem like this untouchable guy, but when it comes to money and promotion, he needs an opponent who will keep carry/stablize the sales, while he runs his mouth to promote the fight.

Now, if Oscar was still actively fighting (and was in great condition), then he could the likes of Guerrero, or hell, anybody for that matter. Oscar is a mexican-american, gold medalist, who had a crazy fan base...so he could fight a kangaroo on a rainy Sunday morning, and people would still buy it. That's not the case with Floyd...though people pay to see him lose, he still has to fight a marketable opponent.

I think Canelo and Guerrero are even, when it comes to opposition. Canelo fights known guys who are over the hill, while Guerrero has fought little known opposition. The only difference is, one of these two are promoted waaaay better than the other.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Nov 26 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Plah @ Nov 26 2012, 01:54 PM) *
A better fight than Cotto? Hell no.

floyd dominated cotto. some ppl only gave cotto 2 rounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

guerrero is taller...and a little rangier/faster than cotto. add the southpaw stance....there's a strong chance he does better than cotto.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Nov 26 2012, 02:53 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 26 2012, 01:59 PM) *
floyd dominated cotto. some ppl only gave cotto 2 rounds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

guerrero is taller...and a little rangier/faster than cotto. add the southpaw stance....there's a strong chance he does better than cotto.

I think guerrero is too sloppy and doesn't have the boxing skill of cotto..

Cotto has had very calculated attacks with his very impressive trainers help

+Quote Post
Marcus
post Nov 26 2012, 04:40 PM
Post #18

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 12,254

Mayweather-Guerrero:

-Interesting 24/7 as aforementioned they talk shit about each other. Guerrero's the christian family man/woman respecting guy. Mayweather fresh out, money team, addressing 50 cent soap opera, Ray J playing his piano again, riding rolls royces with Rick Ross.

-Guerrero could be marketable but he needs 1 more fight on the card of perhaps Garcia-Judah in february to strengthen his fan base against Floyd. Alexander, Maidana(Ghost would out box him), Mallinagi(Won't happen. Malinaggi-Cano 2), Bradley (FUCK no-Top Prank), Josesito Lopez (Wouldn't get credit. Josesito a 140er just got MASSACRED by a 154er), Ortiz(GREAT FIGHT. Ortiz always will bring it). I see him Generating 1.2 Million for Floyd.

- Guerrero NEEDs to fight his next fight in february because Mayweather will only fight in May/September. It takes 6 months to build a PPV fight. He was able to do 4 months w/Cotto because Cotto's the 3rd biggest draw in the sport after Pac. Not the same with Guerrero however as it wasn't with Ortiz.

-Definitely possible being that Schafer said he spoken to Floyd and they have something in the works. Mayweather NEEDs a tuneup with his layoff at his age. For Floyd to gun straight for Canelo would be unwise. He needs to get back into fighting shape mentally and physically and Roger said that Floyd hasn't even been in the gym training since coming home.

-Another easy $40M for floyd. 1.2 M PPV's. I'd be included in the 1.2 M.

-If Mayweather fights Ghost Canelo will DEF happen in September 2013 because Cotto will be available post his december fight for a unification bout (Trout will give him solid work though). Cotto-Canelo/Mayweather Guerrero may be on the same card if Floyd decides to fight Ghost. Ironic that Mayweather would be the main event if it were to happen this way being that Canelo-Cotto is the better/bigger fight.

-Floyd will get so much backlash for fighting Guerro.

- Guerrero has fought better opposition than Canelo, that doesnt mean he is deserving of a Mayweather bout. Canelo is a bigger draw still.

-If the fight happens Ghost will not fight on the inside like he did against Berto. Official wont allow it. Mayweather wont allow it. Pot-Shot all day. Straight right hand down the pipe.

-Dont compare the Ghost's inside fight game to WarCotto's. Cotto has way more boxing skills, better footwork, better angles, better defense, better jab, and he's more pwerful.

-IF the fight does happen, with Guerrero's chin, i don't see him getting knocked out, BUT if he allows himself to take shots from Floyd the same way he did against Berto.... then i hope it was worth the money....

-If Floyd fight's Ghost in Feb, then Canelo in Sep 2013. He will hang the gloves for good after getting that WBC 154 title.

This post has been edited by Marcus: Nov 26 2012, 04:46 PM

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Nov 26 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #19

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

As someone mentioned earlier, Floyd wouldn't allow Guerrero to fight him the same way he fought Berto. If he tried, the fight would probably look a lot like Mayweather-N'dou or Broner-DeMarco.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Nov 26 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #20

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Nov 26 2012, 12:31 PM) *

Huh? Everyone calls Floyd out lol Including even Keith Thurman.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 08:22 PM