IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lennox Lewis vs Rocky Marciano.., Man, there would be a size difference!!..
PR316
post Aug 2 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 107

Lewis was 6'5 and Marciano was 5'10.

A young undisciplined Lennox probably gets KO'd trying to go after his smaller opponent.

But if this is the older, more polished Lewis who really settled into his style of BOXING TALL, and throwing about 25-35 jabs per round, I see him dancing his way to a boring decision, landing occasional hurtful powershots.

If he stops Marciano, it would be late and on accumulation but Rocky was tough. I think he goes the distance and loses the UD.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Aug 4 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #2

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

I agree with that

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 4 2010, 01:37 PM
Post #3

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Lennox Lewis easy!

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 4 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #4

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

QUOTE (PR316 @ Aug 2 2010, 11:52 PM) *
Lewis was 6'5 and Marciano was 5'10.

A young undisciplined Lennox probably gets KO'd trying to go after his smaller opponent.

But if this is the older, more polished Lewis who really settled into his style of BOXING TALL, and throwing about 25-35 jabs per round, I see him dancing his way to a boring decision, landing occasional hurtful powershots.

If he stops Marciano, it would be late and on accumulation but Rocky was tough. I think he goes the distance and loses the UD.

I can't think of a more lop-sided tale of the tape, lol. Shit. Rocky wouldn't even be a heavyweight by today's standards.

We never really saw Lewis against a true swarmer like Marciano. The closest we came was him in against a far-past-it Mike Tyson, and even in that first round with Tyson Lennox looked extremely buffonish trying to fight on the inside. His saving grace was the SICK uppercut he managed to get in on Mike late in the round. After that, Tyson was too scared to do anything.

Marciano was a different animal. All heart all the time, and a granite chin. The few times Marciano went down saw him up quickly with a near-immediate recovery. We know Lennox can be stopped early, we know it can be done with one punch, and we know it can even be done by sub-par competition.

Rocky was, statistically, the greatest heavyweight in the history of the sport. I think if Marciano gets inside Lennox's ridiculously long reach, he breaks him down and puts him away. If not, he gets stopped on cuts.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 4 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #5

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 4 2010, 08:44 PM) *
I can't think of a more lop-sided tale of the tape, lol. Shit. Rocky wouldn't even be a heavyweight by today's standards.

We never really saw Lewis against a true swarmer like Marciano. The closest we came was him in against a far-past-it Mike Tyson, and even in that first round with Tyson Lennox looked extremely buffonish trying to fight on the inside. His saving grace was the SICK uppercut he managed to get in on Mike late in the round. After that, Tyson was too scared to do anything.

Marciano was a different animal. All heart all the time, and a granite chin. The few times Marciano went down saw him up quickly with a near-immediate recovery. We know Lennox can be stopped early, we know it can be done with one punch, and we know it can even be done by sub-par competition.

Rocky was, statistically, the greatest heavyweight in the history of the sport. I think if Marciano gets inside Lennox's ridiculously long reach, he breaks him down and puts him away. If not, he gets stopped on cuts.

An old Marciano was able to get past Ali's jab..I think Marciano would be able to get on the inside and do some major damage..In my opinion,Marciano is a harder hitter than Rahman or McCall..Yeah,he may not weigh as much but if Marciano grazed a punch off you,it still hurt..Rahman and McCall needed flush shots to end Lennox..

This would be a tough fight to call..I could see both winning it..If it was a 220 lb. Lennox,I see Marciano taking it but once Lennox added weight and skills,I see it as a closer fight..If they had 2 fights,I see Marciano winning the first and Lennox winning the second..

+Quote Post
ROLL DEEP
post Aug 5 2010, 03:30 AM
Post #6

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,301

I'm going with Lennox on this one.

If Lennox uses that LONG, pawing jab along with his hook off the jab and his right hand and kept the combat at a distance, then yeah, Lewis has got this one.

I can see Marciano slipping past it too though and if he were in close, his murderous body shots would hurt Lennox and REALLY gas him...and Lennox wasn't really known for his supreme fitness.

But, in the end, Lennox's skill and patience would prevail I think and he'd win on points. I doubt he'd go for the KO, even if he had Marciano on queer street.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 5 2010, 04:52 AM
Post #7

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 4 2010, 11:04 PM) *
An old Marciano was able to get past Ali's jab...

An old Marciano dropped Ali with a body shot too, but most people don't want to talk about that because Ali was out of shape when it happened.

I think Marciano would be able to get on the inside and do some major damage..In my opinion,Marciano is a harder hitter than Rahman or McCall..Yeah,he may not weigh as much but if Marciano grazed a punch off you,it still hurt.

You got that shit right, but I don't even bother to try and break down Marciano's game anymore, because you get a bunch of fucktards that don't know their shit trying to chime in with some bullshit about how "over-rated" Rocky was.

This would be a tough fight to call..I could see both winning it..If it was a 220 lb. Lennox,I see Marciano taking it but once Lennox added weight and skills,I see it as a closer fight..If they had 2 fights,I see Marciano winning the first and Lennox winning the second.

Whatever happens in the first, I only see Rocky improving in a rematch. See Marciano/Walcott 2, Marciano/Charles 2, and Marciano/LaStarza 2 for example.

I heard fighters before, talking about Rocky years later, and how they could still feel his punches. How they'd try to cover up, and he'd punch them in the arms, round after round. How eventually they'd wilt under his power, and then suffer from the vicious KO after they couldn't lift their arms anymore.

Rocky was a beast, and there was no fighter on the planet that ever really recovered mentally from a fight with him. He finished every rematched opponent in a shorter amount of time than he did previously. The man was an animal, a killer, pure and simple.

+Quote Post
JonnyBlaze
post Aug 5 2010, 06:03 AM
Post #8

The Savage

Member No.: 6,227

QUOTE (Warlord @ Aug 5 2010, 04:52 AM) *
An old Marciano dropped Ali with a body shot too, but most people don't want to talk about that because Ali was out of shape when it happened.

You got that shit right, but I don't even bother to try and break down Marciano's game anymore, because you get a bunch of fucktards that don't know their shit trying to chime in with some bullshit about how "over-rated" Rocky was.

Whatever happens in the first, I only see Rocky improving in a rematch. See Marciano/Walcott 2, Marciano/Charles 2, and Marciano/LaStarza 2 for example.

I heard fighters before, talking about Rocky years later, and how they could still feel his punches. How they'd try to cover up, and he'd punch them in the arms, round after round. How eventually they'd wilt under his power, and then suffer from the vicious KO after they couldn't lift their arms anymore.

Rocky was a beast, and there was no fighter on the planet that ever really recovered mentally from a fight with him. He finished every rematched opponent in a shorter amount of time than he did previously. The man was an animal, a killer, pure and simple.

Good post..I used to be a Marciano hater till I started to look at the details in his game and he did a lot more good things than I thought..I guess some good tips from Tony Zale went a long ways along with what he already knew..You're right about Marciano and rematchs..I had forgotten all about that..I just remember Lewis always being better in rematches except for Holy(off the top of my head)..

About Ali being out of shape,Marciano was real old and like 50 lbs heavier than he ever was in the ring in that "sparring" session..If he was in shape,what then??

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 5 2010, 09:09 AM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Are you guys being serious about the Ali-Marciano shit? LOL.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Aug 5 2010, 08:11 PM
Post #10

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (JonnyBlaze @ Aug 5 2010, 07:03 AM) *
About Ali being out of shape,Marciano was real old and like 50 lbs heavier than he ever was in the ring in that "sparring" session..If he was in shape,what then??

My point too, but you ain't gonna get many people to see it that way.

The other thing about Marciano is, he was a small heavyweight, even in his era. He knew it. He knew power, hurting people, was the only way he could be successful. So in the gym he never trained on a normal heavy bag. He had three of them tied together. And he would pound it over and over again, day after day, because he knew if he could move those bags, he could move his opponents.

Power punchers are born, yes, that is true. But power can be honed too. Through skill, through technique, even through training. Rocky was a born puncher, but he worked at it too. That's why he holds the record for the highest KO% of any heavyweight in boxing history.

Maybe you should try that shit at the gym, Jonny. Your arms will be KILLING you in minutes.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 10:41 PM