IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> poppa/kellerman/jones, last weekends commentary...
daprofessor
post Jul 12 2012, 11:49 PM
Post #1

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

wasn't all that bad. i enjoy this team much more than lampley, merchant and steward. they need to use this team more often. they are a lot less biased and do not come off as con artist.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jul 13 2012, 12:05 AM
Post #2

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

HBO's guys are just getting too old and too Pom-Pomy for their contracted fighters. Time for new faces at HBO who don't have an "agenda" to root for their "guys." I even have enjoyed listening to Bruce Beck on the NBC Sports Shows. He's a little inexperienced with some of the rules of boxing, but he has a genuine excitement for the sport, and I think could draw MMA fans back to boxing if the fights are good action matches. Buy matches on a fight to fight basis and get Lou Dibella doing the matchmaking again with almost anyone BUT Lamply, Merchant, and Steward doing commentary.

Jack

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Jul 13 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #3

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

I thought they did a really good job. Kellerman is so much better when he doesn't have to be surrounding by the Biased Bunch. I always think a good boxing commentary team includes @ least one guy who really knows the tactical aspect of the sweet science, one guy who gets the inside scoops and one guy who's good with the punch by punch commentary.

EX.
Roy Jones
Max Kellerman
Gus Johnson

or

Teddy Atlas
Dan Rafael
Bob Papa

Papa is pretty good but I always get the sad mental image of him and Nick Charles in his last moments as a commentator.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 13 2012, 10:05 AM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I used to hate Kellerman because of his "overexcitement", so to speak. I REALLY dig this guy nowadays, because he has no problem calling it how it is. He does have moments when he slips into biased mode, but overall, he's great for the network. I think I started liking his commentary at the Maidana/Morales fight.

I always loved Roy's accurate commentary, along with references to his career (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) He always seems to slide that in there.

Is it just me, or is the commentary always better when there are only two commentators??? Am I the only one?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 13 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Jul 13 2012, 01:05 AM) *
HBO's guys are just getting too old and too Pom-Pomy for their contracted fighters. Time for new faces at HBO who don't have an "agenda" to root for their "guys." I even have enjoyed listening to Bruce Beck on the NBC Sports Shows. He's a little inexperienced with some of the rules of boxing, but he has a genuine excitement for the sport, and I think could draw MMA fans back to boxing if the fights are good action matches. Buy matches on a fight to fight basis and get Lou Dibella doing the matchmaking again with almost anyone BUT Lamply, Merchant, and Steward doing commentary.

Jack

i think that's myth. i've been going to shows for years....i don't know one single person who has "left boxing for mma."

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 13 2012, 01:10 PM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Jul 13 2012, 09:44 AM) *
I thought they did a really good job. Kellerman is so much better when he doesn't have to be surrounding by the Biased Bunch. I always think a good boxing commentary team includes @ least one guy who really knows the tactical aspect of the sweet science, one guy who gets the inside scoops and one guy who's good with the punch by punch commentary.

EX.
Roy Jones
Max Kellerman
Gus Johnson

or

Teddy Atlas
Dan Rafael
Bob Papa

Papa is pretty good but I always get the sad mental image of him and Nick Charles in his last moments as a commentator.

i agree. i was shocked at dan rafaels commentary. he's not bad.

nick charles r.i.p (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 13 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #7

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 11:05 AM) *
I used to hate Kellerman because of his "overexcitement", so to speak. I REALLY dig this guy nowadays, because he has no problem calling it how it is. He does have moments when he slips into biased mode, but overall, he's great for the network. I think I started liking his commentary at the Maidana/Morales fight.

I always loved Roy's accurate commentary, along with references to his career (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) He always seems to slide that in there.

Is it just me, or is the commentary always better when there are only two commentators??? Am I the only one?

2 is all u need....but 3 seems to be the norm now.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 13 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #8

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 13 2012, 02:11 PM) *
2 is all u need....but 3 seems to be the norm now.

3 can either help or harm the commentary. More often than not, it backfires. If 2 of the 3 guys agree to nuthugg, then that's what we're stuck listening to while the 3rd man strains to be heard.

Sometimes, it's not just nuthugging, it's just waaay too much dialogue, or guys stumble over eachother to speak.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 13 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #9

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jul 13 2012, 02:14 PM) *
3 can either help or harm the commentary. More often than not, it backfires. If 2 of the 3 guys agree to nuthugg, then that's what we're stuck listening to while the 3rd man strains to be heard.

Sometimes, it's not just nuthugging, it's just waaay too much dialogue, or guys stumble over eachother to speak.

let's not forget these guys are wearing headsets and are being fed topics of discussion and direction while they're on air....hence the nuthugging. but ur absolutely right...the 3rd guy strains to be heard unless his name is george foreman or roy jones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jul 13 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #10

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 13 2012, 02:19 PM) *
let's not forget these guys are wearing headsets and are being fed topics of discussion and direction while they're on air....hence the nuthugging. but ur absolutely right...the 3rd guy strains to be heard unless his name is george foreman or roy jones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I didn't even know that they were being told what to discuss, if thats what you meant. For some reason, I thought that they simply used info from events leading up to the fight, particularly the fighter meetings. Poor Max Kellerman in the Marquez/Pacquiao rubber match...he was simply outgunned at the announcer's table. Lol

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st July 2014 - 09:05 PM