IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ward vs Chavez (Topics Merged), Any Interest? At 168?
Hotsauce
post Sep 12 2012, 06:45 PM
Post #81

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,903

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 12 2012, 02:54 PM) *
they were doing it during the telecast...

merchant..."both of these guys would rather watch a fight of the year rather than be in one..."

lampley..."earlier we mentioned vitali klitschko being a MASTER at controlling distance...ward is ALMOST as good..."

they can't help themselves...they will shit on him and the sad part is that neither has a fucking clue. fans will regurgitate their bullshit as will some of the mickey mouse internet journalist who seem to follow suit.

broner deserves to be dissed the way he blatantly missed weight...then had the audacity to clown about it on twitter. that was very unprofessional. i could never see guys like chad, floyd or ward doing something like that. broners skills are undeniable...but he needs to grow up.

smh they stay doing that.

i remember when floyd fought cotto, merchant said something about floyd being a hip hop fighter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Sep 12 2012, 07:33 PM
Post #82

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Hotsauce @ Sep 12 2012, 06:45 PM) *
smh they stay doing that.

i remember when floyd fought cotto, merchant said something about floyd being a hip hop fighter

further proof that he don't know shit about boxing. floyd should have saved that apology....don't apologize for truth.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Sep 12 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #83

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 11 2012, 02:15 PM) *
i'm thinking they'll break the million mark just based on how many ppl i hear talking about this fight.

I'm not sure about the 1M mark...it's hard to crack 1M nowadays. If everyone was a bit more familiar with Sergio, then I'd side with that 1M, but hell, as we saw, Pac/Bradley only did around 700k. I'll just stick with the 300-400k since both guys are first-time headliners. You're on the west coast (I believe), so that may be the BIG difference in ppl talking about it, versus where I am. We never know though.

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Sep 11 2012, 02:36 PM) *
the thing about sergio is that he rose to the top the old fashioned way....he blazed a serious trail. he should be a huge star. but he's not. i blame his promoter. how do u have a guy with all that talent...who is winning impressively...and is taking on all comers and not make him into a star? he has a 'the look.' i don't think the language barrier has anything to do with it. i think it's because he has a promoter who is stuck on the eastcoast...and he thinks small. martinez lives in the largest latin american market in the country. why isn't he on all the spanish speaking stations? why isn't he endorsing products? why isn't he fighting at places like the staples center? it's an easy sell imo....but his ppl are failing him. i've been at events where his name was announced...or they show him on the big screen..and the crowd usually erupts. now...against chavez...he'll get no love because the majority of those ppl are mexican...but if he should win and is humble in doing so, they'll come to love him again. his ppl need to step up their game and get this man paid. especially if he wins.

All you can blame is his promoter and managers...those are usually the first to get blamed (and with good reason). I agree....endorsements and such, have totally passed Sergio by, because of his management. Dude is damn near an Abercrombie & Fitch model, and dresses like a goddamn superstar, but you cant get this guy an endorsement?! Dude should've had his own cologne by now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Sometimes, a guy's team is either so worried about getting paid, or they play too much into the interest of the fighter (ala Sergio begging for the Chavez fight), that they forget about the little things. As we all know, the little things, is what gets us through things. I'm sure Sergio would've been mad as hell to pose for D&G or American Eagle, while thinking about a Chavez fight, but that shit would've out him in the eye of the public. Poor management.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 11 2012, 03:24 PM) *
That's good for both of them. I heard Dawson's purse was only around $600k

Yep...not the best purse to match that beatdown he took.

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 12 2012, 03:25 PM) *
They need to cut us a check, we better promoters then they are lmao

Damn right! What are they thinking? The real promoters are in this very fuckin' forum! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 9 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #84

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 12 2012, 09:20 PM) *
I'm not sure about the 1M mark...it's hard to crack 1M nowadays. If everyone was a bit more familiar with Sergio, then I'd side with that 1M, but hell, as we saw, Pac/Bradley only did around 700k. I'll just stick with the 300-400k since both guys are first-time headliners. You're on the west coast (I believe), so that may be the BIG difference in ppl talking about it, versus where I am. We never know though.

All you can blame is his promoter and managers...those are usually the first to get blamed (and with good reason). I agree....endorsements and such, have totally passed Sergio by, because of his management. Dude is damn near an Abercrombie & Fitch model, and dresses like a goddamn superstar, but you cant get this guy an endorsement?! Dude should've had his own cologne by now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Sometimes, a guy's team is either so worried about getting paid, or they play too much into the interest of the fighter (ala Sergio begging for the Chavez fight), that they forget about the little things. As we all know, the little things, is what gets us through things. I'm sure Sergio would've been mad as hell to pose for D&G or American Eagle, while thinking about a Chavez fight, but that shit would've out him in the eye of the public. Poor management.

Yep...not the best purse to match that beatdown he took.

Damn right! What are they thinking? The real promoters are in this very fuckin' forum! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

good call on the numbers!!!

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Oct 9 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #85

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 12,366

problem is merchant can actually say logical shit, like the stuff on the front page, but then they push HBOs agenda like there a coke dealer

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 9 2012, 05:55 PM
Post #86

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

I know this is a little off topic but I don't understand why people keep saying Martinez should fight ward when ward himself has said Martinez is too small?.. its like the whole mayweather vs Martinez thing at 160 it doesn't seem like a good move. Plus it doesn't make sense business wise for both of them who don't have big followings. I always though ward should try some fights in Canada, their crowds always show up.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Oct 9 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #87

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (checkleft @ Oct 9 2012, 05:55 PM) *
I know this is a little off topic but I don't understand why people keep saying Martinez should fight ward when ward himself has said Martinez is too small?.. its like the whole mayweather vs Martinez thing at 160 it doesn't seem like a good move. Plus it doesn't make sense business wise for both of them who don't have big followings. I always though ward should try some fights in Canada, their crowds always show up.

ward isn't calling out martinez.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Oct 9 2012, 07:17 PM
Post #88

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 9 2012, 06:37 PM) *
ward isn't calling out martinez.

I know but all of these "fans" on other boards keep saying Martinez is picking on fighters and avoiding ward when ward himself said Martinez is too small and that he himself won't go under 168 for a catchweight fight

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Oct 9 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #89

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Oct 9 2012, 06:00 PM) *
good call on the numbers!!!

Damn, what were the official numbers for this one. I missed it somewhere along the line. I would feel like a hypocrite to believe Arum's number for this fight, especially if they're what I guessed, but then call him a liar for the Pac/Mosley and Pac/JMM3 numbers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

QUOTE (mgrover @ Oct 9 2012, 06:32 PM) *
problem is merchant can actually say logical shit, like the stuff on the front page, but then they push HBOs agenda like there a coke dealer

Agreed. I cant even say that Merchant is wholeheartedly with the HBO agenda, he's just a cranky old man who wants to see fighters's organs hanging out, if not, then its a boring fight to him. I know that he had ringside seats to David vs Goliath, when guys beat each other senseless, but boxing doesn't roll like that anymore.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 12:57 AM