Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Mar 19 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #102

Junior Middleweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 10,313

Crowd booing Rashad Evans, not sure why. Guess I'm onboard the Rashad Evans train, though I don't see what a wrestler like him can do against Jones's wrestling.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Mar 19 2011, 11:55 PM
Post #103

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,319

War knee injury or not Jones would beat Shogun all day the guy is talented as f*ck. Shogun looked like crap Jones was playing with him and even an injury free shogun wouldn't have the tools to beat Jones.

No one will beat Jones at 205 not Evans not Machida not anyone. He'll enjoy a very long reign ala Anderon Silva.

Anderson Silva
GSP
Jose Aldo
Jon Jones
and in the future Edson barboza are the true well rounded MMA fighters these guy can win in almost any situation and actually look like skilled fighters not just some come forward muscle bound street brawlers that throw for the fences and hope some sh*t lands.

This post has been edited by kidbazooka1: Mar 20 2011, 12:02 AM

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Mar 20 2011, 12:00 AM
Post #104

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 20 2011, 12:34 AM) *
Jones better end this or shogun copul. Still land a big shot and turn it but shogun hasn't looked right since the beginning thanks mainly to jones

Silva. Sonnen comes to mind

No way Beardo Sonne was on top of Silva but never did any kind of damage to Anderson. Silva was the one who cut him from the guard and was landing elbows that marked Sonnen up. Shogun got the sh*t beat out if him from the guard and unlike Anderson didn't do sh*t from that position.

Anderson and Shogun are two totaly different fighters with totaly different skill set.

+Quote Post
BigG
post Mar 20 2011, 01:16 AM
Post #105

Choppin Headz Boi!

Member No.: 19

Jones is fast, powerful, athletic and he's huge at light-heavyweight...I don't see Rashad being comeptitive with Jones....Jones talent is on par with Anderson Silva...

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Mar 20 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #106

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (BigG @ Mar 20 2011, 01:16 AM) *
Jones is fast, powerful, athletic and he's huge at light-heavyweight...I don't see Rashad being comeptitive with Jones....Jones talent is on par with Anderson Silva...

I agree G Evans won't be able to do anything with Jones he'll either get stopped or lose a one sided UD.

Jones skills set is up there but his accuracy is a little off compared to Anderson but he's still only 23 he tried to pull off Anderosn Silva like moves tonight but they weren't as sharp and accurate as Silva's but give him a acouple of yrs to sharpen his craft and im sure he'll be able to excute some of those moves much better.

Now compared to other fighters Jones skills are above most. Jose Aldo is up there too though.

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Mar 20 2011, 02:33 AM
Post #107

Junior Middleweight

Hearing reports that Shogun went into the fight having re-injured his knee. Supposedly a fighter had already been lined up to step in, but Shogun proceeded with the fight anyway.

This is the same thing that happened in the second Machida fight, where Shogun went in injured and Couture was already pegged to fill in, when Shogun elected to go ahead and fight anyway.

We may never see the real Mauricio Shogun Rua again. He hasn't been healthy in 5 years, and I don't see that changing. There are too many examples in pro sports of careers ending early due to multiple knee injuries, especially those as serious as Shogun's been, and no examples to the contrary.

Damn shame.

+Quote Post
kidbazooka1
post Mar 20 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #108

Super Middleweight

I like Jones but i am not getting carried away by this performance either.

I've also noticed that as talented as Jones is he doesn't carry that KO power like Anderson. He takes his opponents out with a barage of shots instead i can't remember when was the last time he KO'ed somone.

This post has been edited by kidbazooka1: Mar 21 2011, 12:03 AM

+Quote Post
Warlord
post Mar 21 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #109

Junior Middleweight

QUOTE (SmartyBeardo @ Mar 20 2011, 02:16 PM) *
Makes sense, though I am not convinced that it would have made the difference, given the total dominance. That said, as I mentioned above, there were openings that a prime Shogun has ended people given.

I don't know if the ultimate outcome changes with a healthy Shogun, maybe it doesn't, maybe it does. But the injury aspect cannot be discounted. We didn't see Shogun even attempt a leg kick, nor a Thai clinch. It seemed Shogun's gameplan was to get taken down and try to work for submissions from the bottom. He tried for the leglock several times, and even went for a triangle at one point. That's not typical Shogun.

Knowing his injury history, I wouldn't rule out the reports that he came into the fight injured.

BTW, it must be said that the UFC/mma kicked boxing's ass this weekend. That was one of the best cards top to bottom that I have ever seen.

Agree that it was a good, entertaining card.

+Quote Post
AussieLad
post Mar 21 2011, 03:44 AM
Post #110

Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 603

Shogun looked fucked after he got off the ground in the first round. I dont think he had absorbed that much punnsihment that he was on queer street. It looked like he gassed. He had no speed of movement, and against a guy with such an enormouse reach, that spells trouble. If he had done his knee in before the fight, that would explain his sluggish movement.

If it was always shoguns game to fight off the bottom, assuming he was inevitably going to be taken down, that doesnt explain why he threw almost zero kicks. Thats his bread and butter. He should have been winging in hard kicks to the thigh ignoring the threat of a take down. What could it have hurt? A blown knee explains that as well.

As it was, i tend to think his plan was to stand and exchange punches, much like the machida match. Thereby minimizing take down threats. Throw punches, get in close, and maybe thai clinch to throw knees if worst came to worst and he got caught up. Either way, injury or no injury, he was in terrible shape cardio wise

Jones is a specimen. And what about him stopping that mugger while in the park meditating a couple of hours before the fight.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 09:40 PM