IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nick Diaz vs. Carlos Condit, Post Fight Update: Diaz Fails Post Fight Drug Test
MaxPayne
post Feb 5 2012, 04:56 PM
Post #1

Featherweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 13,282

I had Diaz winning rounds 1,2 and 5. Round 3 was a toss-up and Round 4 was the only one where I had Condit winning.

If you're going to fight literally running away or backing up the whole time, the only way you should be able to win is by landing powerful counter strikes. He didn't do any of that. Just kept landing pitter patter leg kicks, which are the equivalent of jabs in boxing.

You land a jab or a leg kick to set up a power strike, like a right cross, a hook or a kick to the face. How many spinning elbows did Condit land ? 0. How many flying knees did Condit land ? 0. How many combinations did Condit land ? A bare handful. How many high kicks did he land ? 2. Everything else got blocked or dodged.

Diaz spent the whole fight coming forward and landed the cleaner, more powerful shots, including getting a takedown in Round 5 and getting in position for a Body Triangle.

I understand people wanting to fight a tactical fight, but Condit fought not to lose instead of trying to win. Those leg kicks he landed ? Half of those shots were feeble and simply "shoe shining" as we say in boxing, because the letter of the law states that it's a landed shot. How many times did you see Diaz stopped in his tracks or have his head snap back ? Practically 0.

Condit can have his belt, but it doesn't mean jack shit to me. He, and everyone in that Jackson camp talked a lot of shit about how they wanted to "bury" Nick Diaz. Well, instead, you fought like a bitch and used the "unified rules" to your advantage. He should change his name to "Natural Born Runner" and maybe join the US Olympics team, after that performance.

If Diaz is serious about retiring, then I'm finished with MMA. He was the only guy truly worth watching in the sport.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Feb 5 2012, 10:15 PM
Post #2

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,195

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Feb 5 2012, 03:56 PM) *
I had Diaz winning rounds 1,2 and 5. Round 3 was a toss-up and Round 4 was the only one where I had Condit winning.

If you're going to fight literally running away or backing up the whole time, the only way you should be able to win is by landing powerful counter strikes. He didn't do any of that. Just kept landing pitter patter leg kicks, which are the equivalent of jabs in boxing.

You land a jab or a leg kick to set up a power strike, like a right cross, a hook or a kick to the face. How many spinning elbows did Condit land ? 0. How many flying knees did Condit land ? 0. How many combinations did Condit land ? A bare handful. How many high kicks did he land ? 2. Everything else got blocked or dodged.

Diaz spent the whole fight coming forward and landed the cleaner, more powerful shots, including getting a takedown in Round 5 and getting in position for a Body Triangle.

I understand people wanting to fight a tactical fight, but Condit fought not to lose instead of trying to win. Those leg kicks he landed ? Half of those shots were feeble and simply "shoe shining" as we say in boxing, because the letter of the law states that it's a landed shot. How many times did you see Diaz stopped in his tracks or have his head snap back ? Practically 0.

Condit can have his belt, but it doesn't mean jack shit to me. He, and everyone in that Jackson camp talked a lot of shit about how they wanted to "bury" Nick Diaz. Well, instead, you fought like a bitch and used the "unified rules" to your advantage. He should change his name to "Natural Born Runner" and maybe join the US Olympics team, after that performance.

If Diaz is serious about retiring, then I'm finished with MMA. He was the only guy truly worth watching in the sport.

This was a case of judges scoring on points and nothing else. I had Diaz winning 3-2 and there is no way a fighter should win with that much running. The pity pat kicks just weren't effective and this was a very bad judgement call. My only complaint about Diaz is he kept following Condit instead of laying back for a little while to get Condit to come out of his shell..

This post has been edited by Box in Hand: Feb 5 2012, 10:17 PM

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Feb 5 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Featherweight

QUOTE (Box in Hand @ Feb 5 2012, 10:15 PM) *
This was a case of judges scoring on points and nothing else. I had Diaz winning 3-2 and there is no way a fighter should win with that much running. The pity pat kicks just weren't effective and this was a very bad judgement call. My only complaint about Diaz is he kept following Condit instead of laying back for a little while to get Condit to come out of his shell..

Box, I think you're exactly right, in that some of the blame does fall on Diaz. Nick should have either laid back or should have stepped up the pace at which he was walking that bitch down. Unfortunately, Nick only knows one way to fight and the same reason that fans love him is what doomed him to an extent: he'll never stop moving forward.

+Quote Post
Box in Hand
post Feb 5 2012, 11:04 PM
Post #4

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 7,195

QUOTE (MaxPayne @ Feb 5 2012, 09:45 PM) *
Box, I think you're exactly right, in that some of the blame does fall on Diaz. Nick should have either laid back or should have stepped up the pace at which he was walking that bitch down. Unfortunately, Nick only knows one way to fight and the same reason that fans love him is what doomed him to an extent: he'll never stop moving forward.

Yup, that's why I like him cause he is a killer in the ring. All in all no matter what Diaz won the fight and I hope he doesn't go through with the retirement.

+Quote Post
happygocampy
post Feb 7 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #5

Strawweight

Member No.: 4,569

I thought this fight was pretty much Bologne for happening in the 1st place, Diaz was (still is) the most deserving welter to get a shot at fighting GSP. He should have had that fight secured regardless of this fights outcome, i feel that was the big robbery here.

That being said, i actually thought Condit won 3-2, and i was hardcore rooting for Diaz.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Feb 8 2012, 09:54 AM
Post #6

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,299

I agree, I had it 3-2 Nick. I watched the post fight interview, Condit says: I feel I dominated him from the start (paraphrase), Dana White: "Man, I don't know....that's crazy....that's crazy."

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Feb 9 2012, 11:26 PM
Post #7

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

Update: Diaz fails post fight drug test. Tests positive for Marijuana:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/white-resp...790#more-107790

Jack

+Quote Post
MaxPayne
post Feb 9 2012, 11:36 PM
Post #8

Featherweight

It is what it is, unfortunately. Nick has to hold himself up to a higher standard. There are no excuses, even for those who say that marijuana shouldn't be a banned substance. Rules are rules and it's not difficult to avoid breaking them. Let him pay the price.

He's my favorite MMA fighter ever, but he needs to get his shit together if he wants to fight at the highest levels.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Feb 10 2012, 11:32 PM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Member No.: 12,050

Maybe Condit should've smoked some of what Diaz was smoking...maybe he would've relaxed, felt invincible, and took some risks, rather than backpedaling the whole fight.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2014 - 01:15 PM