Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Does Darrel "moose" Johnson belong in the HOF, NFL
Run and Gun Game...
post Aug 8 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 195

I know he doesnt have huge career rushing or recieving numbers. but that being said, his position doesnt really call for that. He was the lead blocker for the NFL's all time rushing leader (Emmit Smith). Without "moose" does emmit have the rushing title? Offensive linemen get in the hall, so with that being said do you believe the "moose" belongs? I know Troy Aikman, Emmit Smith, and Micheal Irvin were the glory players, who did most of the scoring, but to me at least, one of the most important factors to their success was the lead blocker who made Emmit Smith so many running lanes.

Prior to the Moose, the NFL did not have a fullback position in the Pro Bowl. That changed following his 1993 season for the Cowboys.

So does he belong? And why?

This post has been edited by Run and Gun Game Calls: Aug 8 2010, 02:09 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PR316
post Aug 8 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 107

I would place him just for being part of those championship teams and for being a huge part of Emmitt Smith getting some of those big runs.

+Quote Post
JD
post Aug 8 2010, 07:00 PM
Post #3

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

Lorenzo Neal was the better player for a longer period of time...does he belong?

+Quote Post
Run and Gun Game...
post Aug 8 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #4

Welterweight

Member No.: 195

Neal did play longer, but why do you consider him better? Just curious. Moose was a fantastic blocker, decent runner, and had great hands for catching out of the backfield.

Is it the yards Neil gained? Moose played a lil differant role with the cowboys than neil did, that being said i will look closer at his career, maybe he does belong

+Quote Post
JD
post Aug 8 2010, 07:51 PM
Post #5

First Ballot

It's his ability to lead the way for backs, there may not have been a better lead blocker.

Multiple times a pro bowler and all pro...part of the NFL all decade team for the 2000's.

+Quote Post
Method
post Aug 9 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,253

Emmit sure did give it up to Moose in his induction speech.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 9 2010, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

I say he deserves it. Growing up as a young buck, I always admired the "Moose" and he quickly became one of my favorite players. He basically put the position of fullback on the map. Before him, the fullback position never sent players to the pro bowl, He was the first fullback to go to the pro bowl. I think he was a great lead blocker but he was a very dangerous receiving threat and possibly the greatest "receiving" fullback of all time.

+Quote Post
JD
post Aug 9 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #8

First Ballot

Jim Brown...Bronco Nagurski...Franco Harris...Larry Csonka...John Riggins were all fullbacks well before Moose Johnston suited up in the pros. I mean, I appreciate Johnston's game as much as the next guy, but he didn't put the position on the map and all those guys were pro bowlers (or all pros) before him, the fullback position just changed a bit over time. He was a popular player on a popular team who played an unpopular position, but there were plenty of fullbacks before him...and to me, he wasn't even the best fullback of our era.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Aug 9 2010, 09:45 PM
Post #9

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 9 2010, 10:14 PM) *
Jim Brown...Bronco Nagurski...Franco Harris...Larry Csonka...John Riggins were all fullbacks well before Moose Johnston suited up in the pros. I mean, I appreciate Johnston's game as much as the next guy, but he didn't put the position on the map and all those guys were pro bowlers (or all pros) before him, the fullback position just changed a bit over time. He was a popular player on a popular team who played an unpopular position, but there were plenty of fullbacks before him...and to me, he wasn't even the best fullback of our era.

JD, Fullbacks in today's game are a lot different then the fullbacks that you listed in that era. There' primary focus was hard noise pound the football, I mean those guys ran for over 1,000 yards a season. I guess my point is that "fullbacks" have evolved over time. Darryl Johnston was hardly a running back. Johnston helped pave the way for this new era of fullbacks by his versatility. Johnston served as Smith's lead blocker, stay in to pass protect, short yardage runner, as well as a passing threat. His versatility is what makes him special. That's not knocking the guys you listed as they were great as well but they were different.

take a look at the Defensive End position. back in the day, you had some 300 pound monster that was physical, abusive, and down right dirty control the edge. Now you take some Defensive ends in today's game and a lot of them weigh 250lbs and aren't so much physical as they are finesse. These positions have just evolved over time and Johnston was one of the guys that started the new trend. But he's definitely not the only one, Lorenzo Neal comes to mind. I would actually rank Neal above Johnston.

+Quote Post
Spyder
post Aug 9 2010, 10:31 PM
Post #10

The Prime Minista

Member No.: 3,850

QUOTE (JD @ Aug 9 2010, 10:14 PM) *

That's right!

CHOOO! CHOOO!

(IMG:http://www.pandagon.net/images/alstott.jpg)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 12:27 AM