IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Julio Cesar Chavez vs Meldrick Taylor revisited.
Cshel86
post Jan 19 2013, 09:37 PM
Post #21

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I still tear up in anger after the 12th round of this fight. No doubt that Taylor banked those early rounds, and started getting broke down in the middle rounds, but that dude should've been given those last 2 seconds to fight. Steele has been a jackass since that day.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack 1000
post Jan 20 2013, 05:14 AM
Post #22

The Consultant

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 14

QUOTE (wolterb @ Jan 19 2013, 06:54 PM) *
I thought the stoppage was suspect - Taylor stood up and to my judgement should have seen seen the scorecards. But I also think it is possible the ref saw a different fight from his closer vantage than everyone else.

He wouldn't have seen the cards, but still obviously knew he was ahead. I think the he did not look good after arising from the knockdown. He didn't answer Steele, his body language was that of a beaten fighter. But Steele could have given him the benefit of the doubt because there were only two seconds left. I could see both ways here.

Tyson-Ruddock I was a far worse and more bullshit stoppage by Steele than Chavez-Taylor I. At least with true controversy, you have opposing points of view. With Tyson-Ruddock I, there is no opposing point of view. Steele fucked up on that worse than ever!

Jack

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Jan 20 2013, 11:42 AM
Post #23

Featherweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,770

No kidding. It seemed like Ruddock played possum through some rounds and that gave Steele his chance to bungle the whole thing.

Atleast Tyson gave the rematch:
"Last time, you said it doesnt count unless hes dead..."
"Well he is still alive so we better do it again." lol

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Jan 20 2013, 12:19 PM
Post #24

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

It's great to see this fight is still fresh in our memories.

How do you feel about what happened to Taylor afterwards? Loss of focus, legal trouble, HEALTH PROBLEMS...do you see any connection to this fight or do you rather think Taylor would have fallen into these even without them ?
I think the "loss" or however you want to put it, mentally killed him. Hell, I would be pissed off to this day...Seeing how he ended up just breaks my heart.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 20 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #25

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jan 20 2013, 09:19 AM) *
It's great to see this fight is still fresh in our memories.

How do you feel about what happened to Taylor afterwards? Loss of focus, legal trouble, HEALTH PROBLEMS...do you see any connection to this fight or do you rather think Taylor would have fallen into these even without them ?
I think the "loss" or however you want to put it, mentally killed him. Hell, I would be pissed off to this day...Seeing how he ended up just breaks my heart.

Good point man. Look what happens to boxers when they get that first heartbreaking lost or robbery. If you are not mentally tough then everything can fall by the waist side. This is why I am amazed by Juan Manuel, this dude never stopped. He knew he beat Pac at least twice and he never let that lost hurt him mentally. I can't think of the boxers name that cried in the middle of his fight, he wouldn't hit the guy back, dude had a total melt down. Miguel Cotto is another example, after Margarito assaulted him with loaded gloves Miguel hasn't recovered; his confidence is gone. Diego Corrales (RIP) after Mayweather's clinic against him he just went down hill. He was undefeated and on his way to be a force in the boxing ring, and bam one disappointment after another. You have to be mentally tough, the same thing happen with Tyson the list goes on.

This post has been edited by Dolimite: Jan 20 2013, 02:48 PM

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Jan 20 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #26

Featherweight

^Oliver McCall did that in the Lewis rematch

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Jan 20 2013, 03:22 PM
Post #27

Featherweight

real awkward lol

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 20 2013, 04:42 PM
Post #28

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

QUOTE (wolterb @ Jan 20 2013, 12:17 PM) *
^Oliver McCall did that in the Lewis rematch

McCall!!!!!!!! That was the weirdest shit I have ever witnessed in any sport! I was like this dude is crying in the ring? Word had it that his wife was divorcing him and all kinds of other shit was going on! The dude would not fight back and his corner was like WTF dude! When he started crying and wouldn't hit back, I said this dude is done.

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Jan 21 2013, 04:22 AM
Post #29

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,355

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 20 2013, 05:42 PM) *
McCall!!!!!!!! That was the weirdest shit I have ever witnessed in any sport! I was like this dude is crying in the ring? Word had it that his wife was divorcing him and all kinds of other shit was going on! The dude would not fight back and his corner was like WTF dude! When he started crying and wouldn't hit back, I said this dude is done.

WORD!

Man, I couldn't belive that shit either. It takes a lot to bring an average man to tears or any other expressions of emotion. And seeing that in such a "macho" sport as boxing? That's just totally off. But it only adds to the fact that McCall must have been mentally totally destroyed. It was too one of the saddest moments I have ever witnessed in boxing.

+Quote Post
wolterb
post Jan 21 2013, 01:01 PM
Post #30

Featherweight

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ Jan 21 2013, 04:22 AM) *
WORD!

Man, I couldn't belive that shit either. It takes a lot to bring an average man to tears or any other expressions of emotion. And seeing that in such a "macho" sport as boxing? That's just totally off. But it only adds to the fact that McCall must have been mentally totally destroyed. It was too one of the saddest moments I have ever witnessed in boxing.

I never found out the backstory behind why mccall was such a wreck but it is too bad the ref had to stop the fight. mccall's handlers shouldn't have let their guy expose himself like that on tv. But i'm assuming they knew the state of mccall, maybe they didn't.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 08:27 PM