> So Who Beats Floyd? Past or Present?
BrutUalBK
post May 5 2013, 11:53 PM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ May 5 2013, 11:34 PM) *
I do think Pryor and a prime Arguello would have been too much for Mayweather.

Jack

Pryor never had any defense which is why Arguello was able to hit him at will even though he could take punches he wouldn't have been able to hit Floyd back as easy as he was able to hit Alexis. Alexis was slow and was tagged repeatedly by Pryor, he never knew how to counterpunch and his defense had huge holes which a fighter (many of them lesser) were able to get through often.

I think we just put too much emphasis on these legendary fighters, I'm old school and a huge fan of them as well but I can see many flaws that were exploited by far lesser fighters than Mayweather in that era and somehow Money isn't supposed to be more of a match than those lesser fighters?? (rhetorical)

Go and look at all the guys these fighters faced and tell me out of those on that list they faced how Mayweather would've fared against any of them? If those guys presented a challenge to the likes of Pryor, Arguello, Duran, Hearns and SRL then I'm certain a far faster, more accurate, better ring IQ, excellent counterpuncher with the best defense in boxing would've been able to do far better.

We act as if these old time fighters were dominating fighters the likes of SRL and Hearns in every fight before facing the elites of their sport like those aforementioned; if you look at Duran's record then he lost to nearly all of his best comp (going by names) and his one big win vs SRL was only because Leonard fought Roberto's fight.
With the exception of Pipino Cuevas and Iran Barkley then Duran isn't really all that.

Arguello's best was Boom Boom Mancini and The Hawk (who stopped him twice), look at the Hawk's record, it isn't anyone besides Alexis who sticks out.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Original MrF...
post May 6 2013, 12:31 AM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,309

Leonard, Hearns, Duran, 2006's Paul Williams, 2006's Margarito(I know y'all hate me for this one), Prime DLH, Sugar Ray Robinson.

+Quote Post
sduck
post May 6 2013, 03:15 AM
Post #13

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

The problem with these kinds of matchmaking is that people always heavily look at legacy, even when they attempt to apply skill, it's still heavily legacy based. You have to heavily look at what is done in the ring and how the fighter does it. Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the best to ever do it imho, he's the most technically sound and most efficient boxer I've ever seen. I think he'd beat all the names mentioned here. His toughest fights would probably be Pryor, Duran, and Ray Robinson. And contrary to popular opinion I think Ray Leonard would be one of his easiest fights out of the names being mentioned.

This post has been edited by sduck: May 6 2013, 03:22 AM

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post May 6 2013, 03:32 AM
Post #14

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

The best defense of Pryor was his "i don't give a fuck" attitude. He was a machine!!! He could get hit but as Jack said, it only increased his aggresivness.

I think Vernon Forest would be the guy capable of beating Floyd. But it would not be an easy fight. Actually, nobody would just plow through Mayweather...or outpoint him easily.

Hard to imagine SRR or any other HOF against Floyd. Boxing is different nowadays...

+Quote Post
Jovi
post May 6 2013, 06:12 AM
Post #15

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,532

Marvin hagler- Anyone who steps in the ring with Marvin hagler is in for a tough fight. Never been knocked down in his whole career. I have no doubt Mayweather could outbox him, but Hagler was also a good boxer and could adjust well. Idk how this fight would go, would turn out to be a close decision i feel.

Sugar Ray Leonard- Their styles are very very very close. Mayweather more defensively sound but it would be a good fight in my opinion. Could go either way

Hearns- Just because of the power in his right hand, it could be lights out for anyone. Duran knows this. Mayweather wins by decision only if he stays away from the right hand.

Pernell Whitaker- Would look more like a dance battle than a fight haha.

Sugar ray Robinson- Would be a great fight.

I don't think anyone presently can beat Floyd. GGG would be a good fight but he gets hitt alotttt. If he got too close to floyd. Mayweather is holding on for dear life haha, then pot shots and left hooks all day. He has the highest Puncher's chance of all the present fighters.

This post has been edited by Jovi: May 6 2013, 06:13 AM

+Quote Post
mgrover
post May 6 2013, 06:37 AM
Post #16

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

can't see any of the current young guns beating Floyd, maybe some of the names mentioned above could do it, but you never know till a fight happens.

+Quote Post
happygocampy
post May 6 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #17

Strawweight

Member No.: 4,569

I agree with Robinson no doubt, i also like Duran i think @ lightweight he was both a beast and a machine that was his greatest weight. Ironically i think higher than that Floyd would win, i do think the weight would matter that much. Call me crazy as it does seem opposite of logic.

Just for nostalgia sake i'll throw Joe Gans out there, i know thats way old school but someones gotta mention those really early era fighters. The guys nickname was "Old Master" or something like that.

+Quote Post
hitman
post May 6 2013, 01:33 PM
Post #18

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 1,342

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ May 5 2013, 11:13 PM) *
Really? 7lbs make a difference when being able to slip punches?? Sounds like you're the one who's way off; how do you justify a guy being able to slip punches at 147 but then he gains 7lbs and that makes him unable to slip punches, as though he loses his defensive abilities because he gains weight?? Please explain that?

Duran's defense may have been great but not in that fight and neither was it in the rematch with SRL, i just saw what I saw and recognized that a guy who wasn't able to execute his gameplan against guys who were able to fight their's lost the bout because the holes in his great defense was exploited.

Does Floyd not have a great defense since Mosley almost knocked him out? If that was Hearns do you think Mayweather would have stayed up? fighters get caught. that was not a prime duran.

If you watched the first Leonard fight or any of his lightweight fights you would know just how good his defense was.

This post has been edited by hitman: May 6 2013, 01:34 PM

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post May 6 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

the duran that beat leonard is the first guy that comes to mind.

hearns and leonard as well.

i think the paul williams that beat margarito would have had a chance.

of course ray robinson...who was supposedly at his best and undefeated at 147.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post May 6 2013, 03:10 PM
Post #20

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (mitukczuk @ May 6 2013, 04:32 AM) *
The best defense of Pryor was his "i don't give a fuck" attitude. He was a machine!!! He could get hit but as Jack said, it only increased his aggresivness.

I think Vernon Forest would be the guy capable of beating Floyd. But it would not be an easy fight. Actually, nobody would just plow through Mayweather...or outpoint him easily.

Hard to imagine SRR or any other HOF against Floyd. Boxing is different nowadays...

Hmm....I wonder why.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 09:04 AM