IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MACKIE SHILSTONE speaks on Jones & Hopkins moves in weight!
Achille
post Jun 12 2008, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Strawweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,019

I've been saying this for years, the reason why Jones lost his edge in boxing was killing himself trying to get back down to 175. Back then people were saying I was making excuses for RJJ. It doesn't take rocket science to know this, but seems like the hate for an athlete plauges more then logic with some people on these message boards.

What happened to Roy Jones when he went back down to light-heavyweight to fight Tarver after you had helped him move up and beat Ruiz for the heavyweight title?

You have to remember Roy is such a talented athlete. The muscle that was put on is very difficult to take off. It was a very tough fight. Draining to anyone but he ended up winning. The same thing happended to Tarver when he did the Rocky movie. He was in the 220s then he came down and he was compromised against Bernard. I would have liked to see Roy stay at heavyweight, and I told him that. I think Roy would have beaten Tyson. I think Roy would have beaten Holyfield, but the fights weren't there. Muscle is not easy to take off, it affects your immune system.

How much did Roy weigh for the Ruiz fight?

200 lbs.

There was a story circulating he had weights in his pocket and he really weighed 193.

Before we went down for the weigh-in we were all kidding what Roy would weigh. Roy had been in the range of 199-200. What happned was Roy got on the scale and a fight broke out between Alton Merkerson and Ruiz's camp. Mark Ratner who was doing the weigh-in never let the scale adjust because the fight had broke out. I know Mark, and told him that's not his weight you should correct it. When Roy went to the hotel room and got on the scale he was laughing and saying "I can't believe it". He takes his shirt off and steps on the scale, and this is on the documentary ESPN did called "The Sweet Science". Mark Ratner was there too. I told him to call HBO so they wouldn't think it was rebound weight and they mentioned that on the broadcast

You can read the rest at Boxing**** interview is very informative.

This post has been edited by Achille: Jun 12 2008, 05:44 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_KingEugene_*
post Jun 12 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #2

Guests

Thank you thank you thank you...now hopefully it will shut some of these RJJ haters up. But I doubt it.

+Quote Post
Achille
post Jun 12 2008, 07:58 PM
Post #3

Strawweight

QUOTE(KingEugene @ Jun 12 2008, 08:35 PM) [snapback]392426[/snapback]
Thank you thank you thank you...now hopefully it will shut some of these RJJ haters up. But I doubt it.

I agree it should shut them up because Makie trained Hopkins to bulk up for Tarver so he knows the deal all around.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Jun 12 2008, 08:02 PM
Post #4

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

LOL.

I see.

So Tarver's left hand had nothing to do with it then?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

ex·cuse
Pronunciation: \ik-ˈskyüs\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century
1: the act of excusing
2 a: something offered as justification or as grounds for being excused bplural : an expression of regret for failure to do something c: a note of explanation of an absence

+Quote Post
Achille
post Jun 12 2008, 08:11 PM
Post #5

Strawweight

Tarver got a nice shot in but we all know pre-Ruiz Jones would of reacted better to that shot then what we saw that night.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jun 12 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE(Achille @ Jun 12 2008, 09:11 PM) [snapback]392429[/snapback]
Tarver got a nice shot in but we all know pre-Ruiz Jones would of reacted better to that shot then what we saw that night.

I agree! Tarver would have given Roy problems at any stage of his career but that left hand that landed that night would not have landed 2 years earlier.

Weight loss is a killer and we have seen often over the years.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Jun 12 2008, 08:22 PM
Post #7

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE(Achille @ Jun 12 2008, 09:11 PM) [snapback]392429[/snapback]

He would have? Says who? How exactly do you judge how well someone would have reacted to a knockout punch before or after a particular fight?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dntknw.gif)

+Quote Post
thehype
post Jun 12 2008, 08:27 PM
Post #8

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE(damarvelous1 @ Jun 12 2008, 09:22 PM) [snapback]392431[/snapback]
I agree! Tarver would have given Roy problems at any stage of his career but that left hand that landed that night would not have landed 2 years earlier.

Weight loss is a killer and we have seen often over the years.

I disagree. You're making an assumption that the weight loss was the problem. For all we know, age could have been just as much of a factor. More than likely, a younger Roy would have had the reflexes to pull away from that punch faster...an older Roy however, with slower reflexes, wasn't able to get away this time. That's not necessarily a matter of the weight loss...he's just not as quick as he once was so guys who, in the past, would miss him with their punches are now able to connect. Tarver connected, Johnson connected...even Prince Badi Ajamu, Anthony Hanshaw and Felix Trinidad were able to connect a lot more than they would have been able to had they fought Jones in his prime. So is it really the weight loss or just a matter of him getting old?

+Quote Post
Achille
post Jun 12 2008, 08:32 PM
Post #9

Strawweight

Well after the move down Roy was a lot more flat footed, then he was in his previous fights at LHW, his reaction time and reflexes were better back then too which gave him his edge in boxing. Once he dropped weight all that left him, even if you watch the KO by Tarver, you can see RJJ cleary putting the glove to guard himself but his reaction and timing was off. Something thats never really been a problem with him until his lost the weight HW to LHW.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jun 12 2008, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Heavyweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 6,540

QUOTE(thehype @ Jun 12 2008, 09:27 PM) [snapback]392434[/snapback]
I disagree. You're making an assumption that the weight loss was the problem. For all we know, age could have been just as much of a factor. More than likely, a younger Roy would have had the reflexes to pull away from that punch faster...an older Roy however, with slower reflexes, wasn't able to get away this time. That's not necessarily a matter of the weight loss...he's just not as quick as he once was so guys who, in the past, would miss him with their punches are now able to connect. Tarver connected, Johnson connected...even Prince Badi Ajamu, Anthony Hanshaw and Felix Trinidad were able to connect a lot more than they would have been able to had they fought Jones in his prime. So is it really the weight loss or just a matter of him getting old?

I agree with what your saying.
What I was trying to say was that the KO loss to Tarver was a combination of both, weight Loss and age. I wont say that the weight loss was the only problem but it was part of it. Sudden weight loss does alot to your body and you can see the effects they have on fighters.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 07:48 PM