Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chad Dawson and Victor Ortiz
Cshel86
post Sep 10 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #11

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

I honestly don't feel that Chad should have taken the Ward fight...bad weight cut, bad payday, and a beating. Not only that, but the manner in which he was beat. If this was Chad's last fight, then I could understand.

Anyhow, he can and will go back to 175, but he is now subject to C-class fighters like Pascal, Cloud, and few others, adopting the game plan that Ward used, when they damn sure had little to no idea how to beat him from jump. Pascal may have been the closest, but not the others.

Can you say, raw deal? I'm not sure what his plans were before calling out Ward, but "wanting to fight the best", may not have worked out well for him. I don't consider him a quitter in this situation, because I'm sure that he didn't think the weight would have THAT much of an effect on him.

As for Victor, I give him a pass for his last outing against Lopez because of the jaw, but not the Maidana fight, and his escape effort in the Mayweather fight. In ANY sport, or situation...there are people who don't quite make the cut, and there are those who make the cut, but don't exactly have what it takes to remain...I believe Victor could possibly be the latter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 11 2012, 01:24 AM
Post #12

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Sep 10 2012, 11:33 PM) *
I honestly don't feel that Chad should have taken the Ward fight...bad weight cut, bad payday, and a beating. Not only that, but the manner in which he was beat. If this was Chad's last fight, then I could understand.

Anyhow, he can and will go back to 175, but he is now subject to C-class fighters like Pascal, Cloud, and few others, adopting the game plan that Ward used, when they damn sure had little to no idea how to beat him from jump. Pascal may have been the closest, but not the others.

Can you say, raw deal? I'm not sure what his plans were before calling out Ward, but "wanting to fight the best", may not have worked out well for him. I don't consider him a quitter in this situation, because I'm sure that he didn't think the weight would have THAT much of an effect on him.

As for Victor, I give him a pass for his last outing against Lopez because of the jaw, but not the Maidana fight, and his escape effort in the Mayweather fight. In ANY sport, or situation...there are people who don't quite make the cut, and there are those who make the cut, but don't exactly have what it takes to remain...I believe Victor could possibly be the latter.

I actually like the fact that he was trying to rough up mayweather I just don't agree with how he did it and how blatant it was and I know mayweather was landing very well but I think vic had him uncomfortable in there.

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Sep 11 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #13

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

This is a VERY good topic. Much Props! I was disappointed Chad quit. I won't lie. I said it when it happened. That being said, Ortiz committed the 2 cardinal sins of competition multiple times. He's quit and cheated more than once. For that, he'll be a sucker to me for a long long time. Also, when Ortiz quit, in both fights, he had a legit chance of winning still. He balked at a little adversity. Even though I thought Dawson started off better than Ward, after a while, Dawson couldn't do anything productive and the whole fight he was just fighting off Ward's onslaught of accuracy. I guess that's where the slight difference lies in it at least for me. Also, Dawson was fighting the 2nd best P4P fighter in the world. Ortiz fought a guy who only has punching power and very little skill (Maidana) and a guy who was supposed to be a "tune up" (Lopez).

Also, you can't discredit Chad for the fact that he had the balls to step in against Ward when he could have simply laid back and reigned supreme vs the weaker light heavyweight division. He went out of his way to take on a tough challenge. Not out of jealousy or trying to steal a fan base, but simply to test himself. I thought it was very admirable. I thought it was risky and borderline dumb actually. But hey, you gotta respect the best wanting to fight the best right after coming off a win that otherwise warranted them chilling for a while.

This post has been edited by Franchize: Sep 11 2012, 10:34 AM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Sep 11 2012, 03:34 PM
Post #14

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Do you think Khan could be placed in this category as well? He seems to have confidence problems from what I see as well, he's so caught up trying to prove he's in the same league as other people that he exposes his chin and invites hard shots. I mean even after Garcia knocked him silly the next round he was waving him in as to say "come on, your not hurting me".

+Quote Post
zzeeda
post Sep 15 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #15

Amateur

Member No.: 13,395

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Sep 11 2012, 04:45 AM) *
That is so true. Sports like many forms of entertainment need fans. But the thing that most fans don't do is actively participate in that form of entertainment, in this case boxing. I question many who accuse Ortiz or Dawson for "quitting". When some of them are out of shape, internet trolls who hide behind a cpu, or failed H.S. athletes LOL.

Boxing is the most cruel sport that one can choose to partake in, it's sad when you get people who are insurance agents question the "heart" of these men. I've not done that and I will never do that because I am one of the few who know what a fighter goes thru to get to that point. Granted I haven't fought professionally but as an amateur and as a trainer, I see ht e level of determination these fighters go thru to get in the ring and it's sad when you got people who haven't went thru a training camp, dealt with the media, or had a world class fighter swinging at you to question your desire to win

That is so through. fans esp boxing fans are so fickle. I have never boxed a single day in my life but I could tell how hard it must be to be punched in the head in order to make a living. this thing of fans calling fighters stuff like "bums", "no heart", "washed up","waste of space" etc.. when they havent ever got into a ring. how can you tell a man that steps into a ring to go take blows to his head that he has "no heart"? ridiculous.

very good point you made.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Sep 15 2012, 05:58 PM
Post #16

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (zzeeda @ Sep 15 2012, 09:58 AM) *
That is so through. fans esp boxing fans are so fickle. I have never boxed a single day in my life but I could tell how hard it must be to be punched in the head in order to make a living. this thing of fans calling fighters stuff like "bums", "no heart", "washed up","waste of space" etc.. when they havent ever got into a ring. how can you tell a man that steps into a ring to go take blows to his head that he has "no heart"? ridiculous.

very good point you made.

Agreed, it is very tough and it is not like other sports where you get to rely on someone such as a teammate to cover for you if you make a mistake, I just hate how the "quitter" label is thrown around so freely these days

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Sep 15 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #17

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

if people haven't been through that, i don't think they should comment, i've only ever done it a handful of times, and past the 6th round i began to slowly hate what i was doing i was that tired

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st April 2014 - 06:22 AM