IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GGG Wants Mayweather:, May is turning into the ho everyone wants to sex..
daprofessor
post Jul 2 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #31

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jul 1 2013, 11:41 PM) *
Is it fair to punish Floyd for his dominance over the years and the lack of high risk fights? he can not create a tough opponent for him. he can only fight what the crop of fighters that are out now. People will bitch and say that Manny was his true test, but real boxing fans know that May would of won that fight fairly easy. Paul Williams is another person they bring up but I believed he had a short retirement when people were calling for them to fight. Also, Paul Williams is a taller version of Brandon Rios.

So you are saying for Floyd to be an ATG he must have a belt at 160/ those other ATG body was totally different and they were not small like Floyd, but I don't want to make excuses. I just don't see the point. I mean the guy can't even make 154. I don't think it is necessary

henry armstrong was 5'5 with 67" reach

roberto duran is 5'7 with 66" reach

armstrong fought robinson who was much bigger at 5'11 with a 72" reach

duran fought leonard, hearns, hagler, barkley and joppy who were all much bigger men.

why are we babying floyd? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BrutUalBK
post Jul 2 2013, 11:06 PM
Post #32

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,708

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 2 2013, 10:11 PM) *

duran fought leonard, hearns, hagler, barkley and joppy who were all much bigger men.

I don't think we're babying him, why is he being asked to do what they did....did we ask it of Kostya or Zab to go to 160?? It's ok because it's Floyd but JMM isn't asked to go to 160 and fight GGG....the double standard is on.

It is our own problem that we tend to bestow expectations that are not the norm upon someone simply because they stand out head and shoulders above those in their own perspective weight class.

Pacquiao isn't being asked to go to 160 but Floyd is, greatness is a blessing and a curse if this is the standard we have to hold Money to just to find someone who may be able to beat him.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 2 2013, 11:56 PM
Post #33

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 2 2013, 08:48 PM) *
if that doesn't say something about his greatness....that he has to go up a couple of weight classes to find a real challenge...i don't know what will. robinson tried at lightheavy and failed...but it didn't take away from his legacy. he was negotiating to fight archie moore before he retired. that fight was going to be huge but it never came off.

His greatness has already been cemented. It's not his fault that he's so good that boxers in 3 different weigh classes can't even hang in the gym with him. You want a natural 140lber whose really never been a WW to fight at 160 because a couple of people did it before. I'm sorry but that's laughable, those men had their time and had their career and it's over.

The one thing that many ATG's have is they staked their own claim. Let that man do the same, who cares what somebody did 20-30yrs ago, it's a new day and a new time and there are new ways to validate yourself and Mayweather jr is trying to do just that. I suggest that those who heap these ridiculous demands on him just let him be

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jul 3 2013, 12:06 AM
Post #34

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jul 2 2013, 10:11 PM) *

Grown men don't baby grown men. You name these great fighters who did this and that but they were who they were. WTH would beating GGG prove? Not nothing, just to get a belt because some before him did it. That's ridiculous. He is his own man and he needs to be allowed to stake his own claim.

I got my career in marketing started thru entertainment based stuff. I've met many athletes and celebs and along the way I realized that 95% of fans aint sh%t, even the so called hardocre fans. Like brutal said the expectations that the fans put on these people are downright outrageous. If he did fight him and win you'd be calling for him to fight Ward and probably somebody else. At some point the dumb stuff has to stop

I respect trendsetters and those who do things on their own accord and Mayweather is definitely in a class of rare air there. He's taking on his biggest challenge and still yet that's not good enough for some. We need to get on Garcia if he doesn't fight Matthyse if this is the basis in which we're going to judge things. I see why some of these athletes and celebs say f%ck the fans. The stuff just never stops. GGG has business at 160 with many fighters and he can move up yet he throws his name in the hat with every fighter and wants a Mayweather showdown. I'm sorry but I think he's corny for that. He can't even beat the #2 P$P guy in Ward. He has no biz fighting Floyd and if they fought at 154, it would be a long night for him

At some point some fans need to step back and either appreciate what they're witnessing or just stop all together. I get sick of hearing that type of rhetoric, Jordan did this but now he should do this. Lebron did this, if he wants a real challenge and be better then Jordan he needs to do this. Floyd should do this because some fighter did this, screw that. The cycle never changes but it needs to

+Quote Post
pacco_diablo
post Jul 3 2013, 11:18 AM
Post #35

Featherweight

Member No.: 2,107

I dont think there are many who would look at is as a duck. As most everyone has mentioned in this thread, there are 2 weight classes separating them. I could see if maybe Golovkin fought his next several fights at 154 then maybe an argument could be made. That's NOT going to happen though and would make no sense. Golovkin has yet to fight at 154. His entire career has been at 160. Can't really blame him for trying to get paid though.

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jul 3 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #36

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 3 2013, 01:06 AM) *
Grown men don't baby grown men. You name these great fighters who did this and that but they were who they were. WTH would beating GGG prove? Not nothing, just to get a belt because some before him did it. That's ridiculous. He is his own man and he needs to be allowed to stake his own claim.

I got my career in marketing started thru entertainment based stuff. I've met many athletes and celebs and along the way I realized that 95% of fans aint sh%t, even the so called hardocre fans. Like brutal said the expectations that the fans put on these people are downright outrageous. If he did fight him and win you'd be calling for him to fight Ward and probably somebody else. At some point the dumb stuff has to stop

I respect trendsetters and those who do things on their own accord and Mayweather is definitely in a class of rare air there. He's taking on his biggest challenge and still yet that's not good enough for some. We need to get on Garcia if he doesn't fight Matthyse if this is the basis in which we're going to judge things. I see why some of these athletes and celebs say f%ck the fans. The stuff just never stops. GGG has business at 160 with many fighters and he can move up yet he throws his name in the hat with every fighter and wants a Mayweather showdown. I'm sorry but I think he's corny for that. He can't even beat the #2 P$P guy in Ward. He has no biz fighting Floyd and if they fought at 154, it would be a long night for him

At some point some fans need to step back and either appreciate what they're witnessing or just stop all together. I get sick of hearing that type of rhetoric, Jordan did this but now he should do this. Lebron did this, if he wants a real challenge and be better then Jordan he needs to do this. Floyd should do this because some fighter did this, screw that. The cycle never changes but it needs to

Good post.
But Floyd is never gonna get the credit he's due

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jul 3 2013, 02:05 PM
Post #37

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

http://www.boxingscene.com/golovkin-eyes-m...mber-2nd--67291

Finally, a kid that wants to challenge himself! Now your working bro, your starting to get on my good side now. First macklin now Murray? Ggg is getting it rolling now. This should be a good scrap

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 3 2013, 02:45 PM
Post #38

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Jul 3 2013, 12:06 AM) *
I don't think we're babying him, why is he being asked to do what they did....did we ask it of Kostya or Zab to go to 160?? It's ok because it's Floyd but JMM isn't asked to go to 160 and fight GGG....the double standard is on.

It is our own problem that we tend to bestow expectations that are not the norm upon someone simply because they stand out head and shoulders above those in their own perspective weight class.

Pacquiao isn't being asked to go to 160 but Floyd is, greatness is a blessing and a curse if this is the standard we have to hold Money to just to find someone who may be able to beat him.

kt couldn't get past cool vince and zab couldn't get past kt. why would they even be asked? neither guy is anywhere near floyds level.

pac's shit was smoke and mirrors. he couldn't get past jmm and didn't want to face floyd. he would have got gatti'd by floyd anyway.

floyd clearly stands alone. he's raised the bar. he can be content to stay in his comfort zone of fighting guys knowledgeable fans know can't beat him...or he can challenge himself and dare to be great.

who thought clay would beat liston?

who thought ali would beat foreman?

who thought duran would beat leonard?

who thought leonard would beat hagler?

all of these guys are all time greats and they accomplished the impossible to achieve that status. floyd hasn't accomplished the impossible in his career. i see a perfect record...and what he did at 135 and below is amazing. what's he's done above is good. i'd like to see him outdo himself. i don't think that's asking too much.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 3 2013, 02:55 PM
Post #39

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 3 2013, 12:56 AM) *
His greatness has already been cemented. It's not his fault that he's so good that boxers in 3 different weigh classes can't even hang in the gym with him. You want a natural 140lber whose really never been a WW to fight at 160 because a couple of people did it before. I'm sorry but that's laughable, those men had their time and had their career and it's over.

The one thing that many ATG's have is they staked their own claim. Let that man do the same, who cares what somebody did 20-30yrs ago, it's a new day and a new time and there are new ways to validate yourself and Mayweather jr is trying to do just that. I suggest that those who heap these ridiculous demands on him just let him be

as a fan of the sport of boxing....i know that records and achievements were made to be broken. i can go down a very long list of achievements/accomplishments by great fighters and explain in detail why they were so great. i guess if i were just a floyd fan...i'd be content with what he has done. unfortunately, when i look at his career and how it stacks against those that have come before him....i know he's very good. i just can't call him great. make no mistake about it...i believe his skills are undeniable and probably the best we've ever seen in the ring. unfortunately, i've never truly seen him test those skills so i can't say that without reservations.

i can say that floyd has learned from those that came before him. he's leveraged his skills to make as much as he can and that's great for him. he is the best business man the sport has ever seen thanks to al haymon. he's definitely the best of this era...but his accomplishments don't stack up to past greats imo.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jul 3 2013, 03:04 PM
Post #40

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jul 3 2013, 01:06 AM) *

fuck record books. we should just throw them out and judge everyone on how they make us feel. while we're at it...let's get rid of report cards and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place trophies. fuck standards. who needs to measure anything??? we should just take and give as much as we want or feel like. here's $50 bucks....put some gas in my tank. oh...that's not gas? it's water...ok.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

listen...jordan is great! period. lebron hasn't proven to be great...but he seems to be on his way. if he quit tomorrow...no one would say he was the greatest ever. hell...kobe, as much as i don't like the dude....has waaaaay more accomplishments than lebron but still falls short to jordan imo and the opinion of others. they are all great basketball players....but when u put them in perspective one is greater than the other. no matter how much that bothers anyone...it's the truth.

as for garcia....i agree, he needs to fight matthysse to prove he's the man at 140. i'm not saying floyd needs to fight ggg...but duran fought hagler. do i need to post the dimensions of both in comparison to floyd and ggg? is floyd less skilled than duran? is hagler less skilled than ggg? duran beat barkley at 160 when he was 38 yrs old!!! he started his career at 118. stop making excuses for the dude. you starting to sound like a fan boy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by daprofessor: Jul 3 2013, 03:04 PM

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th August 2014 - 01:40 AM