Reply to this topicStart new topic
> FightHype Q&A - February 13, 2014
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #1

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 2

What's up, everyone? I haven't been on the boards in FOREVER, but I had a little free time today, so I figured I would pop in to answer any questions you might have.

For those that are new here...welcome.

For those that don't know me...I'm Ben Thompson.

For those that have been here forever...the head monkey in charge has returned.

With that being said, if you have a burning question that you want an answer to, or even a suggestion you might have for the site, then fire away. I don't have much free time, but I'll answer what I can.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Feb 13 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,803

Hey Mr. Thompson, love your work I have 4 questions:

1. What would it take for the "cold war" to end and what would you suggest to make it in?

2. What is the deal with the testing issues with Pac and Bradley?

3. The winner of Cotto/Martinez could they possibly face Golovkin at the end of the year?

4. Do you think Khan honestly deserves a fight with Mayweather?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
BoxingFan86
post Feb 13 2014, 01:39 PM
Post #3

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,445

Have you guys thought about interviewin' Justin "Mayweather" Jones lately? I asked this question, 'cause Chris Robinson (Hustle Boss) has footage of the guy trainin' out of Mayweather's gym in Vegas with his dad. Since Sr. is trainin' him now, I'd like to stay updated on Jones' progress.

+Quote Post
ryustuh
post Feb 13 2014, 01:42 PM
Post #4

Bantamweight

Member No.: 14,090

hello. my questions are:

1) why are the numbers from floyd's poll so different from virtually every other media source (fighthype, fightnews,espn, etc)
2) other than maidana/khan, who does floyd have targeted or at least on his radar before retiring in 2015?
3) any word on andre ward and when his next appearance might be? thoughts on him moving to LHW?

thanks

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Feb 13 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

Hello, my one question is

was broner really fucking about that much during his camp for maidana? or did he simply fight the wrong fight?

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #6

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Feb 13 2014, 01:24 PM) *
Hey Mr. Thompson, love your work I have 4 questions:

1. What would it take for the "cold war" to end and what would you suggest to make it in?

2. What is the deal with the testing issues with Pac and Bradley?

3. The winner of Cotto/Martinez could they possibly face Golovkin at the end of the year?

4. Do you think Khan honestly deserves a fight with Mayweather?

Thanks!

Thanks.

1. I think the Cold War will only end when Todd duBoef has FULL control of Top Rank. The question is when will that happen.

2. According to Arum, it sounds like NSAC will handle the testing for Pac-Bradley 2. In other words, there won't be any additional or random, Olympic-style testing for the fight.

3. The winner of Cotto/Martinez SHOULD be facing GGG next. WILL they face him is the question. That's hard to say right now because they may have better financial offers (i.e. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. could be an option for the winner...or even Canelo...it just depends on how things shake out with a lot of other fights).

4. Based on their most recent performances, I think Maidana is "more" deserving. HOWEVER, that being said, I think Khan is the more interesting fight just because he brings speed to the table. I expect Mayweather to make his announcement very soon.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 02:24 PM
Post #7

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (BoxingFan86 @ Feb 13 2014, 01:39 PM) *
Have you guys thought about interviewin' Justin "Mayweather" Jones lately? I asked this question, 'cause Chris Robinson (Hustle Boss) has footage of the guy trainin' out of Mayweather's gym in Vegas with his dad. Since Sr. is trainin' him now, I'd like to stay updated on Jones' progress.

Percy Crawford is usually the one who interviews him. I'll pass on your comment and maybe he can get a hold of him. You can also contact Percy at pcrawford@fighthype.com

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 02:33 PM
Post #8

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (ryustuh @ Feb 13 2014, 01:42 PM) *
hello. my questions are:

1) why are the numbers from floyd's poll so different from virtually every other media source (fighthype, fightnews,espn, etc)
2) other than maidana/khan, who does floyd have targeted or at least on his radar before retiring in 2015?
3) any word on andre ward and when his next appearance might be? thoughts on him moving to LHW?

thanks

1. I assume it's because Amir Khan promoted the poll on Mayweather's site, so his legions of followers probably flooded that poll with their votes, essentially making it a popularity contest. The other polls are probably more representative of what the "casual" boxing fans want to see as opposed to the "diehard" fans of a particular fighter. The REAL question is, will Floyd's decision be based solely on the poll on his website, or is he taking the other polls into account as well.

2. I don't think he has anyone in particular on his radar. Whatever opponents are available for big money fights will likely be considered. For example, if Canelo or Cotto can get themselves back in the mix, I'm sure they will be options. If Danny Garcia moves up to 147, I'm sure he'll be an option as well. But that doesn't mean that someone else can't have some good wins and put themselves in the mix either. It really just depends on what everyone else does.

3. Unfortunately, there's still no word on Dre's next move. IMO, I don't think he should move up to Light Heavy until he's exhausted all of his financial options at 168. Dre is keenly aware that once he moves up, he can't move back down (i.e. Roy Jones Jr.), so he'll be looking to clean out all options at 168 before making that move.

+Quote Post
thehype
post Feb 13 2014, 02:37 PM
Post #9

CAESAR, H.M.I.C.

QUOTE (mgrover @ Feb 13 2014, 02:20 PM) *
Hello, my one question is

was broner really fucking about that much during his camp for maidana? or did he simply fight the wrong fight?

Tough to say because I don't really know what all he was doing during that camp. I heard that he flew his fiance out to Colorado and had her with him throughout camp, but still, I can't really say that means he didn't take the fight seriously.

In my opinion, he just fought the wrong fight against a guy that he didn't think would be that strong. Maidana is a big boy with a good punch...I don't think AB was expecting it to be like that (i.e. the size of guys fighting at 147). Personally, I think he'll be moving back down to 140 sooner than people think.

+Quote Post
klonopinz
post Feb 13 2014, 02:40 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 13,879

What the hell is up with GARY RUSSELL JR!!!!!! Is he contracted by golden boy or just Al Haymon? Can you and find out what is up with the layoffs, weak competition, and what kind of hand injuries this guy has for real for real. Its not looking too good for him at the moment, but hes such a great fighter. I have heard he has very bad hand injuries and promotional issues. Get back to me if you got time.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2014 - 11:26 PM