IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Do Trainers Train Fighters That Don't Understand Them?
Gambit808
post Dec 8 2013, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

To me, it seems almost akward for the trainer when he has to try and relate to his fighter going back n foward with a translator in the corner in under a minute before it's back to action. It just never seems to click, especially in the moments of a frustrated fighter and last night between Roger Mayweather and Joseph Adbeko was one of many examples I can give for my point. It's one thing to use a guy in training to help tweak or enhance your style, but it's another thing to be in a corner having to limit yourself with words and emotion because the fighter doesen't understand them. To me, it would seem to only add to a fighters frustrations given the moment.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Dec 8 2013, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

money and stuff? tbh at times they do understand, it like pac and roach, buboy is always there repeating in filipino, who knws why, the language of boxing is universal

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Dec 8 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 13,329

QUOTE (mgrover @ Dec 8 2013, 01:03 PM) *
money and stuff? tbh at times they do understand, it like pac and roach, buboy is always there repeating in filipino, who knws why, the language of boxing is universal

I read u, but PAC atlease understands English, I'm speaking on fighters who don't understand a lick of it or their trainer not understanding a lick of their fighters language. It just seems to complicate things more when things go bad and more than ever in a fight the trainer and fighter need to be on the same page.

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Dec 8 2013, 01:22 PM

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Dec 8 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

I think everyone wants a challenge. Chemistry has a lot to do with it. Some fighters have a better chemistry then others. I mean, Roger is hard to understand under any given circumstances.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Dec 8 2013, 03:34 PM
Post #5

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,858

That's what a translators for. I don't see a problem with it. I'd train a fighter if he walked into the gym and had a talent. Who gives a shit about the language barrier, people meaning fans use that as an excuse sometime. You train a fighter because you see something in them, some kind of skill set, etc etc....that language barrier stuff is over blown

+Quote Post
KSUN247
post Dec 8 2013, 07:45 PM
Post #6

Flyweight

Member No.: 14,011

Joseph Agbeko understands and speaks English. He just tuned out Roger Mayweather. Really, after the first round against Rigo, he didn't want anything to do with that fight anymore. Roger begged him to do something, at least throw a punch or two. He didn't and he got schooled and punished for his inactivity. Would have been interesting to see Roger throw in the towel cause Agbeko didn't want to fight.

Trainers train whoever they can. If a guy has talent, a trainer will work with them. Language is a barrier, but not a big one.

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post Dec 8 2013, 10:11 PM
Post #7

Bantamweight

Member No.: 13,480

Same reason why I worked at Domino's Pizza while in Highschool. I needed some damn money.

+Quote Post
AZWildCat
post Dec 9 2013, 11:32 PM
Post #8

Welterweight

Member No.: 13,789

QUOTE (aTYpicalTYrant @ Dec 8 2013, 10:11 PM) *
Same reason why I worked at Domino's Pizza while in Highschool. I needed some damn money.

Classic

as long as they have some sort of understanding I see nothing wrong with it. sometimes its better for both to not know what the fuck each other are saying...leaves more room/time for work

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Dec 10 2013, 09:36 AM
Post #9

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Dec 8 2013, 12:40 PM) *
To me, it seems almost akward for the trainer when he has to try and relate to his fighter going back n foward with a translator in the corner in under a minute before it's back to action. It just never seems to click, especially in the moments of a frustrated fighter and last night between Roger Mayweather and Joseph Adbeko was one of many examples I can give for my point. It's one thing to use a guy in training to help tweak or enhance your style, but it's another thing to be in a corner having to limit yourself with words and emotion because the fighter doesen't understand them. To me, it would seem to only add to a fighters frustrations given the moment.

I can understand this. 60 seconds is not enough time to break stuff down...as if instructions don't already have to be broken down anyway. It's worse when there's a language barrier, and the guy just had a bad round. We've seen it with fighters who understand their trainers...when they have a bad round (read: "he hit me good, now I wanna go back out there and FIGHT")...they go back out there and do the exact opposite...they fight back, rather than hold.

Now, as MG mentioned, the language of boxing is universal...I guess it all depends on the fighter too. Some fighters get hit and wanna fight back, while others get hit and go back to the corner (if they make it) with the "what am I supposed to do" look on their face.

+Quote Post
sduck
post Dec 10 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #10

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,788

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2014 - 11:27 AM