IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PASCAL AND HOPKINS REMATCH ORDERED BY WBC, HOPKINS VOWS TO BECOME OLDEST CHAMP IN ANY SPORT
JLUVBABY
post Jan 11 2011, 09:40 AM
Post #21

Light Heavyweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (JD @ Jan 11 2011, 08:07 AM) *
I was wrong the first time around as I picked a clear Pascal decision - but at the same time, it was alarming to see how much trouble Hopkins had with his athleticism early.

It was a strange fight and Pascal seemed to get too comfortable and gave Hopkins time to make adjustments, which in turn allowed him to go to the body. Hopkins should not come out guns blazing, but at the same time, if he falls into a hole again it will be hard to get out. I don't see a simple Hopkins win in the rematch at all like so many are calling here.

thing is hopkins needed to fight pascal next... had he, for him to come out guns blazing, in my opinion, to reestablish the doominance he had over pascal for the most part of the last fight would be just the thing for him to do to bring pascal right back to the mental place he was at in the last fight... but... pascal is fighting a very determined dawson next that last i heard him talking seems pretty obsessed with this rematch... i see a very mind fucked pascal showing up for dawson and i see him getting beat up very soundly... hopkins probably took that guys fighting spirit in that fight... if you notice we havent heard a sound from him since the fight... usually he is a very vocal fighter but right now at least he is being very quiet... that whippin is gonna be with him for a while...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JD
post Jan 11 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #22

First Ballot

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,262

I think it's a little early to say how it will impact him...you didn't hear a word from Pascal after the Froch fight either.

With that said, don't be so sure Dawson is next, because if HBO is not willing to pony up for it (and they may not be), the fight will probably not end up happening because both guys will not be able to get paid.

+Quote Post
JLUVBABY
post Jan 11 2011, 12:54 PM
Post #23

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 4,447

QUOTE (JD @ Jan 11 2011, 11:40 AM) *
I think it's a little early to say how it will impact him...you didn't hear a word from Pascal after the Froch fight either.

With that said, don't be so sure Dawson is next, because if HBO is not willing to pony up for it (and they may not be), the fight will probably not end up happening because both guys will not be able to get paid.

well see but in my opinion pascal was supposed this improved fighter since the froch defeat and the knock downs aside he got handled that night... he was handled like an a fighter should treat a b fighter it didnt look like an off night from a good fighter... i could be wrong but the sport is as much psychological as it is physical... hop turned the page on that dude and treated him like the prime middleweight hopkins treated most of his 20 defenses.. thats got to linger in the mind of a fighter that talked the game he did leading up to the fight... we shall see...

+Quote Post
JD
post Jan 11 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #24

First Ballot

Member No.: 1,262

Maybe...but it's not like he took some savage beating from pillar to post, in fact, he had a lot of success early and dropped a guy twice that hadn't been dropped in 16 years, and I am sure that is something that he will focus on as well. This wasn't like the Pavlik fight at all where there was not so much as a competitive 15 second interval. Moreover, I didn't hear anyone saying he improved from the Froch fight - I mean, he is basically the same fighter.

In the end, this is all conjecture until we see what happens next time Pascal steps in the ring whether it be against Hopkins...Dawson...or someone else.

+Quote Post
lloyd mayflower
post Jan 11 2011, 01:05 PM
Post #25

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 7,369

There is another option thats not been considered here. What about the possibility that putting up that spirited performance was BHops last stand. Kinda like when a shitty little team draws a big huge team in the cup, sometimes things can just line up right for them and they sneak a goal, maybe get a draw. But then when they go back for a second bite at the cherry they get their shit pushed in like they maybe should have in the first. People are going on like BHop only needs to land the rematch and the belts are his. He still needs to go in there and win 12 rounds of boxing against a young athletic champion who has had a chance to see what Bernard is about and is getting a chance to prove the first fight was a freak of nature.

+Quote Post
D-MARV
post Jan 11 2011, 02:16 PM
Post #26

Heavyweight

Member No.: 6,540

Pascal-Dawson should be next! Hopkins just has to wait... Dawson had a rematch clause.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jan 11 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #27

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

[quote name='JD' date='Jan 11 2011, 09:07 AM' post='510246']
I was wrong the first time around as I picked a clear Pascal decision - but at the same time, it was alarming to see how much trouble Hopkins had with his athleticism early.

Hopkins is 46... what was more alarming to Pascal and his crew was how fast Hopkins was able to adjust and turn the tide... Ordinary fighters just don't do that. Hopkins tightened his D after the KD's. Hops was loading up on that left hook ... I see HOP using this punch surprising PASCAL Hops on the other hand will not be surprised. Pascal is athletic but his muscle bound frame leaves him tight and winded. He is limited skill wise. Even late his explosive
Quickness was no use to him.

to the poster who said if Pascal hits Hopkins right again he falls... LOL Hops will not be as relaxed... there will be no flash Kd's this time around. Hops has to stay behind the jab as Pascal is explosive early after a few rounds he will start to gas and BHOP will start breaking him. Pascal is fucked. He has HOPS waiting to make history and Dawson waiting to avenge his loss..

This post has been edited by neophyte7: Jan 11 2011, 03:16 PM

+Quote Post
Guest_Fitz_*
post Jan 11 2011, 03:28 PM
Post #28

Guests

QUOTE (JD @ Jan 12 2011, 01:07 AM) *

It was a strange fight and Pascal seemed to get too comfortable and gave Hopkins time to make adjustments, which in turn allowed him to go to the body. Hopkins should not come out guns blazing, but at the same time, if he falls into a hole again it will be hard to get out. I don't see a simple Hopkins win in the rematch at all like so many are calling here.

I saw exactly what you saw early in the fight JD. Pascal was landing clean on Hopkins, and the speed and athleticism troubled him. He was landing with lead left hooks at times. I will be honest, early in the fight, it didn't look like it was going to end well for Hopkins. Credit to him, he turned it around drastically.

+Quote Post
BrutalBodyShots
post Jan 11 2011, 06:12 PM
Post #29

ON the edge

Member No.: 240

QUOTE (Spyder @ Jan 11 2011, 08:50 AM) *
He didn't fight cautious late in the fight...he took it to him. The difference is that Pascal ran out of gas, and couldn't react as quickly as he did early. Not to mention those body shots added up. That won't be a luxury that Hops will enjoy early.

Nobody is invincible. If Pascal hits Hopkins right, he'll fall down again.

I never suggested that he fought cautious late in the fight. I said he will fight more cautious in the opening rounds of a potential rematch as to ensure he doesn't get knocked down and lose any unnecessary points.

I also didn't suggest Hopkins is invincible... but if anyone looked vulnerable in the fight (aside from the knockdowns) clearly it was Pascal, not Hopkins.

+Quote Post
neophyte7
post Jan 11 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #30

Welterweight

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,991

Hopkins approached Pascal defensively like he does everyone else. I think he underrated Pascal's quickness, yet once Hop settled in.. he was able to make Pascal miss quite often ... at 46 Hopkins is still damned good defensively

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2014 - 08:12 PM