Total Votes: 9
Guests cannot vote 
BrutUalBK
post Jan 9 2013, 09:53 AM
Post #11

Lightweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,708

Since the KO then I'd definitely say Pac but prior to then I would've said Floyd. Some people confuse being liked/loved with being popular, many people hated Ali and Mayweather but it did not take away from the popularity of either boxer.

Now that Pac has been put to sleep face-first there has been a zillion jokes, paintings, GIFs, videos and songs poking fun at his nose-dive into the canvas, this definitely raised his popularity much in the way it did for Roy Jones.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mitukczuk
post Jan 9 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #12

Super Featherweight

Member No.: 13,355

I am giving it to Manny Pacquiao. Solely based on the fact people that have nothing to do with boxing recognize him easily.

Oscar was known mainly in the US.

Floyd is 2nd behind Pacquiao...not by much.

+Quote Post
aTYpicalTYrant
post Jan 9 2013, 10:54 AM
Post #13

Super Flyweight

Member No.: 13,480

I'm rolling with Pac on this one..... The overall amount of love he has received from fans and non-fans is JUST too great. He is revered by some .I consider Floyd more infamous lol. Oscar was hella popular in his day but I don't believe his populariTY is as great as Pac's or Floyd's notorieTY.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 9 2013, 11:36 AM
Post #14

Middleweight

Member No.: 13,803

Outside of his country and other Asian countries and the US is he big in Europe, I know he doesn't have love in South America so I am trying to figure out exactly what countries he is most popular in. Is Pac popular because of his fighting style or the myth behind him? Floyd is popular because well of Floyd. Oscar because of his looks and fighting everyone.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Jan 9 2013, 01:29 PM
Post #15

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 11:36 AM) *
Is Pac popular because of his fighting style or the myth behind him?

What is this myth that you keep talking about?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 02:06 PM
Post #16

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 11:36 AM) *
Outside of his country and other Asian countries and the US is he big in Europe, I know he doesn't have love in South America so I am trying to figure out exactly what countries he is most popular in. Is Pac popular because of his fighting style or the myth behind him? Floyd is popular because well of Floyd. Oscar because of his looks and fighting everyone.

i live in socal...and there are a shit load of asians here. i can tell u this....all asians love that dude. chinese, korean, japanese...and filipinos. not sure if u know this or not...but there are a shit load of asians on this planet. like someone else said...even ppl who don't follow boxing know who pac is...and i believe he eclipsed oscar in popularity. we have european members on this board...ask them who's more popular in europe. i know when i was in the uk last year...they definitely had love for pac. floyds fighting style may be more appreciated there.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 9 2013, 02:22 PM
Post #17

Middleweight

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Jan 9 2013, 10:29 AM) *
What is this myth that you keep talking about?

8 weight class and beating guys bigger than he. Granted they were but it came with asterisks. Plus the myth that he would actually beat Mayweather. And background story, it all played perfect for him. If and I am sure you have heard HBO salivate over his "great" accomplishments and the way he destroys all his opponents only helped. Again, he is a great fighter when he was a feathweight and he had great wars with all the aforementioned fighters but Clottely and Margarito I scratch my head at.

+Quote Post
Dolimite
post Jan 9 2013, 02:33 PM
Post #18

Middleweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jan 9 2013, 11:06 AM) *
i live in socal...and there are a shit load of asians here. i can tell u this....all asians love that dude. chinese, korean, japanese...and filipinos. not sure if u know this or not...but there are a shit load of asians on this planet. like someone else said...even ppl who don't follow boxing know who pac is...and i believe he eclipsed oscar in popularity. we have european members on this board...ask them who's more popular in europe. i know when i was in the uk last year...they definitely had love for pac. floyds fighting style may be more appreciated there.

Professor I am from Los Angeles, I lived in Temecula (Vietnamese and Filipino haven) Garden Grove (every Asian ethnicity imaginable) and Long Beach and Artisa so I know about Asians in So Cal. I am not going to even touch San Francisco area. I am very familiar about Asians in Cali. Well I never been to Europe and I know that he isn't popular in South America. But I guess Pac is more popular than Mayweather. I know Mayweather gained a wider audience when he did the WWF and Dancing with the Stars, I do think that he is known outside of boxing but not in the positive light.

The question that daunts me is Mayweather and Oscar created their own superstardom. Their fighting and personality is what made them top of their food chain. Is Pacquiao popular because of the machine that pushed him or is he popular because of the fights he gave? People started talking about Pac widely after Oscar and then it went into hypermode after he Mannied Hatton (lol) but again looking at how he won and the stipulations on how he won gives me room to wonder was this hype because look what happen happened since then. I will concur that with all the given information I would say Pac is an international super star but will that star fade when he leaves or is he keeps losing or are people really in love with tthis guy to the point no matter what he does they still love him?

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jan 9 2013, 03:23 PM
Post #19

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 02:33 PM) *
Professor I am from Los Angeles, I lived in Temecula (Vietnamese and Filipino haven) Garden Grove (every Asian ethnicity imaginable) and Long Beach and Artisa so I know about Asians in So Cal. I am not going to even touch San Francisco area. I am very familiar about Asians in Cali. Well I never been to Europe and I know that he isn't popular in South America. But I guess Pac is more popular than Mayweather. I know Mayweather gained a wider audience when he did the WWF and Dancing with the Stars, I do think that he is known outside of boxing but not in the positive light.

The question that daunts me is Mayweather and Oscar created their own superstardom. Their fighting and personality is what made them top of their food chain. Is Pacquiao popular because of the machine that pushed him or is he popular because of the fights he gave? People started talking about Pac widely after Oscar and then it went into hypermode after he Mannied Hatton (lol) but again looking at how he won and the stipulations on how he won gives me room to wonder was this hype because look what happen happened since then. I will concur that with all the given information I would say Pac is an international super star but will that star fade when he leaves or is he keeps losing or are people really in love with tthis guy to the point no matter what he does they still love him?

oscar didn't create his super-stardom...bob did. he has spoken publicly about paying women to scream at press conferences and weigh ins and stuff. a lot of that was orchestrated and spread like wildfire.

pac burst onto the scene when he beat barrera imo. then the trilogy with morales and the first fight with jmm really accelerated his popularity. the dlh and hatton fights made him legendary...but yeah, i agree...everything over 135 has been smoke and mirrors. in regards to stipulations...none of that info will see the light anytime soon and the general public has been duped. history is going to remember him kindly because the media pretty much painted him a golden child and continues to do so. floyd on the other hand doesn't get the same treatment from the media and i believe that's because of a few reasons. he chose to portray himself as the bad guy....it worked. he's prone to putting his foot in his mouth when he speaks publicly so he does himself no favors. his troubles with the law really sealed the deal for him. it is what it is...

+Quote Post
mgrover
post Jan 9 2013, 05:30 PM
Post #20

Super Middleweight

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,366

QUOTE (Dolimite @ Jan 9 2013, 07:22 PM) *
Again, he is a great fighter when he was a feathweight and he had great wars with all the aforementioned fighters but Clottely and Margarito I scratch my head at.

why them two?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 07:55 PM