Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Thrilla in Manila, Boxing
bnoles4life
post Nov 11 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #1

Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,299

In light of Joe Frazier's death (I believe), HBO is showing Thrilla in Manila. This documentary sheds a not-so-favorable light on Ali....While I knew Ali to be a master of mind games, but to be frank, Ali was pretty much a DICK to Frazier to umpteenth degree!

S/N: Great commentary by Ferdie Pacheco, the late Butch Lewis and more.

Interesting how the many of the antics of Ali and FMJ parallel. Does this mean Floyd, long after he retires, will eventually be revered?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Nov 11 2011, 05:11 PM
Post #2

Welterweight

What's your favorite boxing documentary/movie?

+Quote Post
streetlion1
post Nov 11 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

Member No.: 6,534

I think my favorite Boxing Documentary is Tyson....though I did watch Thrilla in Manilla and I learned a little more about Ali...for example I had no idea he actually spoke at a KKK rally...shakin my head at that shit lol.

As for favorite Boxing movie of course its gotta be the whole Rocky series...but...Play It To The Bone with Woody Harrelson and Antonio Banderas was good too....very funny with a very good fight scene at the end.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Nov 11 2011, 09:15 PM
Post #4

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

Thrilla in Manila is on point! I didn't know exactly how fucked up Ali was at the end of his career. It was a fuckin' joke how those doctors kept medically clearing him, when they knew damn well he wasn't in condition to fight anymore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/no2.gif) Then the unnecessary punches that he took during sparring sessions didn't make it any better.

As far as my favorite boxing documentary goes, I have to lean more towards HBO Legendary Nights - Chavez/Taylor. That shit made me feel like I was there! Any documentary with Mike Tyson usually does the job, because we always hear new stuff when Tyson talks. I remember one where he talked about how he went years (5 I believe) without sex, then he finally hooked up with this chick in a club bathroom (I believe) and ended up getting burned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) That shit was wild!

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Nov 12 2011, 01:28 AM
Post #5

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 11,505

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 11 2011, 05:10 PM) *
In light of Joe Frazier's death (I believe), HBO is showing Thrilla in Manila. This documentary sheds a not-so-favorable light on Ali....While I knew Ali to be a master of mind games, but to be frank, Ali was pretty much a DICK to Frazier to umpteenth degree!

S/N: Great commentary by Ferdie Pacheco, the late Butch Lewis and more.

Interesting how the many of the antics of Ali and FMJ parallel. Does this mean Floyd, long after he retires, will eventually be revered?

As much as I respect FMJ as a boxer and his very justifiable, yet arguable claim to be one of the very best of all time, you can not compare the legacy of Muhammad Ali to that of FMJ. Ali was literally on the frontline of crucial moments of history with people like Malcom X and Martin Luther King Jr. FMJ is definitely the best boxer right now, but he is able to do what he does because of people like Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.

+Quote Post
Plah
post Nov 12 2011, 01:34 AM
Post #6

Featherweight

Member No.: 12,629

PBF will never be revered. Boxing in those days (Ali) was bigger.

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Nov 12 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #7

Welterweight

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 12 2011, 02:28 AM) *
As much as I respect FMJ as a boxer and his very justifiable, yet arguable claim to be one of the very best of all time, you can not compare the legacy of Muhammad Ali to that of FMJ. Ali was literally on the frontline of crucial moments of history with people like Malcom X and Martin Luther King Jr. FMJ is definitely the best boxer right now, but he is able to do what he does because of people like Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.

Okay...first off, I was being sarcastic w/ the revered comment. Secondly, I disagree. There is a very loose and superficial parallel b/t the two fighters. Young, loud, brash, irritating (to the masses) fighter, that chose to berate opponents no matter the interpretation from the public. Now, I'm sure Ali followers will call these things "master mind games/tricks". If you watch the very ending to Thrilla in Manila, in an interview on Oprah, Ali says, (paraphrasing) "I apologize to Joe Frazier. The things I said were to promote the fight." It's funny, Floyd has said this on a number of occasions (DLH (clearly, he meant the shit about DLH), Hatton, Chico.

Now, before we all take turns to misconstrue what I'm saying, stop (Hamma time! LOL..no seriously..) and think about it. I'm not comparing the times, political & social climates, etc. Granted, Thrilla in Manila was spoken from a pro-Joe Frazier point of view, but it definitely showcases how flawed a man, who is generally considered "The Greatest".

S/N: My favorite guy from later on in that era, Larry Holmes said it best, "Neither one could punch." <---classic

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Nov 12 2011, 10:27 AM
Post #8

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 12 2011, 08:46 AM) *
Okay...first off, I was being sarcastic w/ the revered comment. Secondly, I disagree. There is a very loose and superficial parallel b/t the two fighters. Young, loud, brash, irritating (to the masses) fighter, that chose to berate opponents no matter the interpretation from the public. Now, I'm sure Ali followers will call these things "master mind games/tricks". If you watch the very ending to Thrilla in Manila, in an interview on Oprah, Ali says, (paraphrasing) "I apologize to Joe Frazier. The things I said were to promote the fight." It's funny, Floyd has said this on a number of occasions (DLH (clearly, he meant the shit about DLH), Hatton, Chico.

Now, before we all take turns to misconstrue what I'm saying, stop (Hamma time! LOL..no seriously..) and think about it. I'm not comparing the times, political & social climates, etc. Granted, Thrilla in Manila was spoken from a pro-Joe Frazier point of view, but it definitely showcases how flawed a man, who is generally considered "The Greatest".

S/N: My favorite guy from later on in that era, Larry Holmes said it best, "Neither one could punch." <---classic

Sorry man, I'm usually able to identify sarcasm, damned old age...

+Quote Post
bnoles4life
post Nov 12 2011, 12:06 PM
Post #9

Welterweight

QUOTE (Cheesey1 @ Nov 12 2011, 11:27 AM) *
Sorry man, I'm usually able to identify sarcasm, damned old age...

Naw, it's not on you...sarcasm, if it isn't obvious, can be almost impossible to detect via typing/text.

Again, IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' CHEESEY! <-----SHOULD BE YOUR NEW SIG

+Quote Post
Cheesey1
post Nov 12 2011, 02:42 PM
Post #10

Super Middleweight

QUOTE (bnoles4life @ Nov 12 2011, 12:06 PM) *
Naw, it's not on you...sarcasm, if it isn't obvious, can be almost impossible to detect via typing/text.

Again, IT AIN'T EASY BEIN' CHEESEY! <-----SHOULD BE YOUR NEW SIG

Ha! So true man, so true...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd August 2014 - 01:14 AM