IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> should hbo just reel in jim lampley, or get rid of him altogether?
Cshel86
post Apr 1 2013, 12:08 PM
Post #121

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 1 2013, 09:13 AM) *
He deleted it too. I actually felt honored lol That a world renowned boxing journalist not only took the time to read it, but to get rid of it rather than match me wit for wit lmaooooo I've heard of "If you can't beat em join em." but never "If you can't beat em, delete em." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

LOL

I bet he did delete it. Dude's the most unenthusiastic boxing writer known to mankind. He just sucks the life out of everything, and his Jabba the Hut appearance help matters at all. Maybe I'm just tired of looking at fat people who refuse to lose weight...lose some weight dammit!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 02:26 PM
Post #122

Cruiserweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Cshel86 @ Mar 29 2013, 09:26 PM) *
Wow, if I didn't have any sense, I'd think that she was ready to pounce you sir.

The reason that you weren't more of a creepy opportunist is this situation (as my creepy ass would've been), I have no idea. Think about it Professor, women love it when you make them stfu in an intelligent manner...for some reason they feel less embarrassed and more turned on. What a weird species they are.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

i'll take your word on that one. i'm not going to pretend i have them figured out. i just left before she could get in the last word. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #123

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 30 2013, 05:20 PM) *
Very well stated, I'm sure she thought about it even more when she hears the word boxing for now on.

hopefully.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 02:29 PM
Post #124

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Mar 31 2013, 10:03 AM) *
Your comments here rang in my ear while watching the undercard of the Rios-Alvarado fight. You had a young fighter on short notice taking a step up in weight and competition who put on a boxing clinic, but was booed by the crowd who came to see a blood filled slug fest in the main fight.

same here. jack was on point with that.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 02:35 PM
Post #125

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Mar 31 2013, 11:53 AM) *
Lampley is only good for fights like Rios v Alvarado now. One can't deny. The guy has an epic voice for this sport. That being said, the actual CONTENT of what he's saying is way out of wack #1 Because he, after all these years, still can't accurate detect punches landed and punches blocked or dodged. #2 Because he's so disgustingly biased it is not only ridiculous but completely unprofessional.

Roy Jones is saving the commentary on HBO. Kellerman, much like Dan Rafael at ESPN, knows a lot but will sit back idly and let bias dwarf his better judgement. In other words, rather than saying "hey Jim, STFU this is a good boxing match" or "hey Jim, this slugger isn't all that skilled and none of these flurries he's throwing are landing"...Kellerman just shuts the fuck up. I got on Dan Rafael on his Facebook page about his irresponsibility at ESPN. He allows clowns like Skip Bayless to have the loudest opinion on sports most visible network when Bayless admits to not even knowing who Canelo Alvarez is. He cowardly deleted my post. It's time the REAL boxing savants have the loudest voice in the sport, and the guys simply there for their voice and personality sit and just provide us with some melodic oohs and ahhhs. I'm tired of the fighters and trainers, who put the extra time in to master the mental aspect of the sport, being penalized socially.

If you want an opinion on Boxing on TV, most casual fans usually turn to HBO and ESPN. You get "The Fight Game" from HBO and First Take from ESPN (their boxing show with Brian Kenny gets no advertisement push). So, essentially, the casual fan is looking to Jim Lampley and Skip Bayless to help formulate their opinion on a very complex sport.

I say this all the time but there's a big difference between Boxing and Fighting. Pretty much everyone has had some form of a fight. Not everyone can. There are some very irresponsible clowns that are blurring that difference. It's called the Sweet Science and they are trying to turn it into Mathematics. How many big punches did you throw?

solid post. i disagree with you about dan rafael being knowledgeable. kellerman used to be...but these days he's sounding like an ass. roy jones clearly saves the day for hbo 'son.' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) i don't watch skip bayless enough to be upset about the dude...but i'm not sure why anyone would listen to an ass clown like that to be honest.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #126

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (BrutUalBK @ Mar 31 2013, 01:47 PM) *
Very well stated and I agree that many of today's so called TV Journalist or Sportscasters are too biased on their favorite fighters to simply comment objectively, it's almost as though they are telling us what we should believe or see during a fight or about a certain fighter(s). On DHB there was a certain boxing pundit who claims to be a Journalist but yet he displayed no objectivity whatsoever when it came to speaking about MP, I went to war with that clown and just like Rafael did to you this guy did the same to me (he shut me out/blocked my posts so he couldn't read them) and now he's supposedly some highly respected Journalist for boxing.

The guy hung out all day long at the Wildcard Gym and defended anything you said about MP, FR or Bob Arum and I labeled him a Top Rank Shill for which he had no defense whatsoever and yet the blinded PacTARD faithful hangs on to this guy's every word as though it is the gospel truth especially when he speaks about MP or against Floyd Mayweather.

I won't name him but I guarantee that Da Professor knows who I'm talking about. These are all the clowns we have representing the sport that the unsuspecting public now listens to on a regular basis, it's no wonder why they booed in the Prescott fight last night. Go figure!!

i'm so far removed from their small world. you remind me of their existence with posts like these. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) do they represent the sport? i never thought they did. does the public listen to them? if so, they deserve the misinformation.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #127

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Franchize @ Apr 1 2013, 08:13 AM) *
He deleted it too. I actually felt honored lol That a world renowned boxing journalist not only took the time to read it, but to get rid of it rather than match me wit for wit lmaooooo I've heard of "If you can't beat em join em." but never "If you can't beat em, delete em." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

you're giving him way too much credit.

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Apr 1 2013, 02:44 PM
Post #128

Cruiserweight

QUOTE (Jack 1000 @ Mar 31 2013, 03:59 PM) *
The one plus for Lamply and it is HUGE as stated above, He's got the best voice for a "Boxing Brawl." It draws the viewer into the action. However, there's not really a lot of other positives about him. I noted LESS favoritism, in fact very little last night because HBO loved both guys for brawling the first time, so you really had a good reasonably objective call.

But if it's "One of HBO's contracted fighters against a C+ type opponent, that C+ type opponent has to damn near kill the "HBO guy" for guys like Lamply to acknowledge them. And even when their "smiling sweethearts" make their millions on the network against lessor known guys, HBO commentary will bend over backwards, to make love to their contracted fighters.

The house bias started with Roy Jones, got very nauseating with Delahoya, and than the same with Gatti than Pacquiao, and now Rios and Alverado. Note that when the house fighters brawl against other house fighters, this is where HBO shows the least bias. The thing is though Jones was not a natural brawler, and neither was Delahoya, but Jim would just blush, coddle and coo at the mention of Delahoya's name. Larry Merchant was once suspended for a boxing telecast by saying "Delahoya's entrance music sucked." I wonder who made that decision? I think there has been for a very long time, higher ups at HBO telling the pom-pom shakers for whom to shake them.

Since Mayweather and Hopkins are master boxers in their prime, I believe that they don't really have the likable personality. Over time, these factors made the higher-ups at HBO lose respect for them. Floyd's always been more hated than loved by anybody. I think his strong ratings might also be attributed to those who just want to see him lose no matter what. Hopkins is street-wise, but very bitter and opinionated. He doesn't fall into the "Can't we all get along and love our fighters flagship model at HBO." Woman worshipped Delahoya even though Oscar almost always lost his big fights, and perhaps somebody at HBO as a producer, wanted to parade Delahoya to make him more appealing to woman, even though most woman don't like boxing. They might have watched HBO just to see Delahoya.

The model for HBO boxing in order to be respected by the current commentary and production team is the following:

1.) Any brawler who can engage in two-sided wars that can create excitement from fight to fight. Get two brawlers who do that as often as they can, this yields great fights. OR

2.) A Pretty Boy boxer, but he must have a likeable, charismatic personality. If he doesn't have that, HBO thinks, "Not worth our time."

Jack

lampley could have the voice of fergie/jesus....but with the shit he says...it doesn't matter. he kills it for me. i can't listen to his commentary.

+Quote Post
Cshel86
post Apr 2 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #129

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 12,050

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 1 2013, 03:26 PM) *
i'll take your word on that one. i'm not going to pretend i have them figured out. i just left before she could get in the last word. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Had you stuck around, you'd saw the wrath of a woman who couldn't decisively get the last word in. Lol

+Quote Post
Franchize
post Apr 3 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #130

Junior Middleweight

Member No.: 13,419

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Apr 1 2013, 03:42 PM) *
you're giving him way too much credit.

I don't think so. I'm not saying he's good. I'm saying he's globally known. Let's face it, ESPN is BY FAR the biggest sports outlet in America...possibly the world. He's their go to guy.

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 04:12 PM