Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Promoting of Cuba's big 3
Gambit808
post Jun 10 2013, 09:08 PM
Post #1

Junior Welterweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,329

Like Argentina, Cuba also has it's big 3 in Lara, Rigo and Gamboa, but promoters seem to have difficulties drawing a broad fan base for this 3. Why not stage more fights in Miami with these guys? It's a attractive city with a Cuban following and has been a source of big fights before, so what gives? Why is a city like Miami, Florida not a big promotional market for boxing like Nevada, California, New York, or Texas?

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Jun 10 2013, 09:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
daprofessor
post Jun 10 2013, 09:17 PM
Post #2

Cruiserweight

Member No.: 12,336

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 10 2013, 09:08 PM) *
Like Argentina, Cuba also has it's big 3 in Lara, Rigo and Gamboa, but promoters seem to have difficulties drawing a broad fan base for this 3. Why not stage more fights in Miami with these guys? It's a attractive city with a Cuban following and has been a source of big fights before, so what gives? Why is a city like Miami, Florida not a big promotional market for boxing?

arum has no intention of pushing rigondeaux the way he can. the opposition is there for that guy to be a bonafied star in boxing...but he's already shit on him. it's unfortunate.

gamboa shot himself in the foot by signing with 50 who isn't a real boxing promoter and has plenty to learn.

lara is in a division where his own promoter has bigger plans for his main fighter (canelo) so don't expect anything significant from him either.

all 3 guys have the skills and ability to be top dogs in their respective divisions. the unfortunate part is that each guys promoter isn't willing...or is unable to take these guys to the mountain top.

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 10 2013, 09:46 PM
Post #3

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (daprofessor @ Jun 10 2013, 10:17 PM) *
arum has no intention of pushing rigondeaux the way he can. the opposition is there for that guy to be a bonafied star in boxing...but he's already shit on him. it's unfortunate.

gamboa shot himself in the foot by signing with 50 who isn't a real boxing promoter and has plenty to learn.

lara is in a division where his own promoter has bigger plans for his main fighter (canelo) so don't expect anything significant from him either.

all 3 guys have the skills and ability to be top dogs in their respective divisions. the unfortunate part is that each guys promoter isn't willing...or is unable to take these guys to the mountain top.

Lara and Rigo both knocked off potential money makers in Donaire and Angulo. If Angulo was to win that fight, he would be in the run for either Cotto or Canelo. Why hold back fighters who fight the fight and deserve the shot. Gamboa at this point is 50's biggest star and is still undefeated, so I ask, if the problem here is a descent fan base, then why not(wishful thinking) Headline Lara in Miami against Peter Quillen. Or work out a Double header with SMS and throw Gamboa on the undercard against a formidable opponent that GBP can offer? Is fighting in Miami(FL) a bad market or what?

This post has been edited by Gambit808: Jun 10 2013, 09:48 PM

+Quote Post
checkleft
post Jun 10 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #4

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 13,079

Gamboa isn't that good.. orliander has more upside to me than gamboa

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 11 2013, 12:38 AM
Post #5

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

I really do think they(the promoters) should have them fighting in Miami because they can build their fan base and THEN take them somewhere else to grow their careers. But neither Arum or Schaefer are interested in pushing Rigo or Lara, they keep thinking their feeding them to who they want to make a star but in truth their actually feeding them to Lara and Rigondeaux. Gamboa is in a tough spot, I'll reserve judgement on the overall success of 50's company because it's still in it's infant stages but therein lies the problem. he went from an established promoter to someone who doesn't exactly know all the ins and outs just yet. IDK what happens with him

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 11 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #6

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (mrchitown @ Jun 11 2013, 01:38 AM) *
I really do think they(the promoters) should have them fighting in Miami because they can build their fan base and THEN take them somewhere else to grow their careers. But neither Arum or Schaefer are interested in pushing Rigo or Lara, they keep thinking their feeding them to who they want to make a star but in truth their actually feeding them to Lara and Rigondeaux. Gamboa is in a tough spot, I'll reserve judgement on the overall success of 50's company because it's still in it's infant stages but therein lies the problem. he went from an established promoter to someone who doesn't exactly know all the ins and outs just yet. IDK what happens with him

Gamboa has taken on pretty good competition since his move up in weight class, it's just his last 2 opponent don't have names for themselves, but I think they can be just as tough of a match up for anyone else in that division as they were for Gamboa.

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post Jun 11 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #7

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,802

Leveraging the Miami market sounds like a good plan, but how much does them being "dark skinned"Cubans come into play?

+Quote Post
Gambit808
post Jun 11 2013, 10:44 AM
Post #8

Junior Welterweight

QUOTE (scdrking2 @ Jun 11 2013, 10:10 AM) *
Leveraging the Miami market sounds like a good plan, but how much does them being "dark skinned"Cubans come into play?

Hmmm, I don't think it has so much to do with skin tone. It might, but I don't think so. Tito Trinidad IS the most popular fighter ever for puerto ricans and he just so happens to be dark. In fact there's a broad population of dark skin Latino/Latina's in most of those Latin nations so again, I don't think skin tone has much to do with it.

+Quote Post
mrchitown
post Jun 11 2013, 10:49 AM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 12,858

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 11 2013, 08:30 AM) *
Gamboa has taken on pretty good competition since his move up in weight class, it's just his last 2 opponent don't have names for themselves, but I think they can be just as tough of a match up for anyone else in that division as they were for Gamboa.

I agree Gamboa takes on some solid comp. Buy I do get the feeling he's going to get slept sooner or later. I don't like the way he fought in his last fight

+Quote Post
scdrking2
post Jun 11 2013, 11:00 AM
Post #10

Junior Flyweight

Member No.: 13,802

QUOTE (Gambit808 @ Jun 11 2013, 10:44 AM) *
Hmmm, I don't think it has so much to do with skin tone. It might, but I don't think so. Tito Trinidad IS the most popular fighter ever for puerto ricans and he just so happens to be dark. In fact there's a broad population of dark skin Latino/Latina's in most of those Latin nations so again, I don't think skin tone has much to do with it.

My insight is limited, but I went to college in N. FL. While I did not meet any Cubans, many of my friends from Miami were 2nd and 3rd generation descendents of the various islands. Miami is a very racially fractured community. The few times I have been, to me it seems like they like down on you if you are dark or dont speak Spanish. And Cuba had a very tough racial history, with many of the money folks being very light skinned who associated more with their Spanish heritage and those were many of the people from whom Castro took power. And those constitute the monied conservative Republican S. FL Cuban base.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 07:45 PM