IPB  

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why don't they interview judges in controversial decisions?
salvador
post Jul 10 2011, 07:20 AM
Post #1

Super Middleweight

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,307

The Williams-Lara fight was obviously a horrific decision. At some point, I'd like HBO to interview the judges to get their ideas as to how that happens. Really, why don't they?

It seems to me that there's so much money involved in the sport right now to keep the "name" fighters winning that there should be some kind of legal ramifications for judges who can't justify their cards. Close fights are one thing - I get it. But that was just sad. Sad for Lara. Sad for boxing. And sad for HBO.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Allmenjoi8
post Jul 10 2011, 08:16 AM
Post #2

Lightweight

Member No.: 12,125

QUOTE (salvador @ Jul 10 2011, 08:20 AM) *
The Williams-Lara fight was obviously a horrific decision. At some point, I'd like HBO to interview the judges to get their ideas as to how that happens. Really, why don't they?

It seems to me that there's so much money involved in the sport right now to keep the "name" fighters winning that there should be some kind of legal ramifications for judges who can't justify their cards. Close fights are one thing - I get it. But that was just sad. Sad for Lara. Sad for boxing. And sad for HBO.

I was actually thinking the same thing. Paul Williams had a horrific performance. He has 0 jab and 0 defense. Lara hit the man at will. I do not understand the score cards in this fight, what fight were they looking at. I do not get it.

+Quote Post
salvador
post Jul 10 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #3

Super Middleweight

Member No.: 1,307

between the fighters and the judges, the judges would have been better interviews after the fight - more interesting for the fans. It's better tv for HBO. I'm tired of seeing these guys get let off the hook.

+Quote Post
The CEO
post Jul 10 2011, 10:12 AM
Post #4

SKULLSPLITTER

Member No.: 4,665

because they don't wanna bring anymore attention to it than they have to...it takes a lot for guys like Kellerman to get on there and try to save the sport's face enough...

The judges would probably get in front of the camera and simply say, "That's the way I saw it." and look down....

+Quote Post
TheFonz
post Jul 10 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Team BU fun boy that gets passed around...

Group: Banned
Member No.: 10,999

QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 10 2011, 11:12 AM) *
because they don't wanna bring anymore attention to it than they have to...it takes a lot for guys like Kellerman to get on there and try to save the sport's face enough...

The judges would probably get in front of the camera and simply say, "That's the way I saw it." and look down....

lol...But at the same time they have to be held accountable. I would wager that if judges started to get grilled after submitting horrendous score cards it would happen less often.

+Quote Post
Mean Mister Must...
post Jul 10 2011, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Cruiserweight

Group: Team BU
Member No.: 1,333

QUOTE (The CEO @ Jul 10 2011, 11:12 AM) *

and look down to their new Rolex and then say "Oh shit, I'm late, some promoter is taking me out to the Cadillac dealership."

+Quote Post
HaydelHammer
post Jul 10 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #7

Welterweight

Member No.: 128

they don't interview them because they are already in the locker room dividing up the brief case full of money they need to split by three that was RSVP to them from the promoter.

I know we scream for a league or commission in boxing like it can be done overnight (which we all know can't), but this is exactly why there should be a middle man in place running the "boxing league" globally....but good luck with that.

I'd love to see the titles consolidated under ONE LEAGUE (Call it World Boxing League or something) let em keep the alpha titles, even the promoters can be like "teams" in the league with their own fighters...still do the bullshit fights but ATLEAST we'll have a commissioner to be like "hey, that fight was bullshit and you know it...reverse the call or declare an immediate rematch".

This way the promoters will still have power over their fighters and who they fight..etc BUT us boxing fans will ATLEAST get SOME justice in a FORCED rematch.

This is all a stretch obviously and me just speaking hypothetically.

This post has been edited by HaydelHammer: Jul 10 2011, 10:26 AM

+Quote Post
caneman
post Jul 10 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #8

Amateur

Member No.: 1,310

I am thinking maybe judges should NOT be scoring the fight ringside...maybe do it watching a telecast but with no one talking. I don't know, I mean sure, I have seen fights live and scored it one way and get home and watch it and wonder what I was looking @ ringside! It's because from one angle you can't clearly see all the punches...not that last night was about that but I wonder if it would help? Last night was really bad though and it seems to me either they were effected by crowd or they were on the take!

Scorecard wise and I forget which fight, but I seen crazier when 1 judge had it 117-111 for one guy and another judge 117-111 the other way...in a way that is 18 rounds difference in a 12 round fight! That doesn't change what happened last night though!

EDIT!!! It was Cory Spinks vs Jermain Taylor referee: Mike Ortega | judge: Dick Flaherty 117-111 | judge: Michael Pernick 113-115 | judge: Gale E. Van Hoy 111-117

This post has been edited by caneman: Jul 10 2011, 02:42 PM

+Quote Post
blackbelt2003
post Jul 10 2011, 11:19 AM
Post #9

Light Heavyweight

Member No.: 84

It's a tough one because boxing is always gonna be objectional.

We can measure and record how many punches are thrown, how many land, how many miss etc, but what we can't measure is how hard a punch is.

Therefore, the judges have to guess what hits harder than the next punch. I guess they all figured that William's little pitty pat shots added up to more than Lara's power shots (even though he landed more and harder lol).

The problem is that no matter how tight you make criteria for judges, no matter what you do to judges who put out shitty score cards, you're ALWAYS gonna suddenly get a fight where the judges just give out random fucking scores like this. Any sport where you have a judge and not an electronic scoring method is gonna be the same.

What should be in place is a rematch mandate if a fight ends controversially.

Black

+Quote Post
SmartyBeardo
post Jul 10 2011, 11:29 AM
Post #10

Middleweight

Member No.: 10,633

Take a crowd poll (kind of like the Roman thumbs up, thumbs down thing). If it ends up thumbs down for a judge take him out back and shoot his ass. Judging will improve real quick.

Yes, I jest.

But, despicable judging should garner expulsion for life.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 03:09 AM